PDA

View Full Version : Chris Evans-Pilot?

Barshifter
28th Jan 2008, 02:50
I was listening the Radio today and the presenter was congratulating Chris Evans on obtaining his Pilots Licence for a Helicopter.Anyone know what type hes been flying.

ppheli
28th Jan 2008, 03:55
He owns R44 G-ZOOT (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=detailnosummary&fullregmark=G-ZOOT). The Sun has photos of him flying it here (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/article728732.ece)

Heli-phile
28th Jan 2008, 07:30
Hi, I would have thought Chris got his PPL a while back, he started having lessons in 2003/4!!
Either way Congratulations to him.

firebird_uk
28th Jan 2008, 12:02
Passed Friday 25th. Wind was 35kts at 1500ft and gusty on the ground so fair play to the chap.

SilsoeSid
28th Jan 2008, 12:52
How many Rotorheads can get a mention this afternoon?

[email protected]
Text: 88291 (During the show only)
1705 -1900

Listen online around the world http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/evans/

HeliCraig
28th Jan 2008, 13:13
Fair play to the chap!

Thats my email gone in - hope I can listen to whole show to see if we all get a mention.

everynowandthen
28th Jan 2008, 14:36
Good luck to him but as an aside would say that it's not really on to post the reg details, complete with his home address ?

ppvvmm
28th Jan 2008, 14:45
"Good luck to him but as an aside would say that it's not really on to post the reg details, complete with his home address ?"

Unfortunately, it is publicly available information from the "G-INFO" website.

Teems very intrusive to me as in England we are used to lots of privacy!

pvm

floppyjock
28th Jan 2008, 16:44
I believe its not really on for the CAA to post anyones details on line without their permission.

Floppy

Well done to him BTW

28th Jan 2008, 19:46
Come on Chris - get yourself a Nom-de-PPrune and join in:)

Whirlygig
28th Jan 2008, 19:51
How do you know he hasn't already? :} If I were Chris, I wouldn't make my pprune handle known! ;)

Cheers

Whirls

TRC
28th Jan 2008, 20:13
I just hope that he follows the straight and narrow course of Mr. Edmonds and not the rather perilous one that a certain Mr. Smith took.

Good luck to him.

ShyTorque
28th Jan 2008, 20:27
I think the course that a certain Mr. Edmonds took was anything but straight and narrow on one particular occasion - rather more of a roller coaster ride :)

Whirlygig
28th Jan 2008, 20:28
Yes, but it really gave him the willies and he gave up flying; I think that's what TRC meant.

Cheers

Whirls

JimBall
28th Jan 2008, 21:38
TRC: I just hope that he follows the straight and narrow course of Mr. Edmonds and not the rather perilous one that a certain Mr. Smith took.

What does this mean ?

Barshifter
28th Jan 2008, 22:44
Jimball

Think this is what TRC is refering to.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/september/10/newsid_2504000/2504243.stm

manfromuncle
29th Jan 2008, 07:37
Well done to him, I also hope he doesn't follow the path of Smith, McCrea, or Hislop.

ppheli
29th Jan 2008, 08:10
floppyjock/everynowandthen

The UK Aircraft Register is a "Public Document" and enshrined in law as such - so it would need an Act of Parliament to change it. The CAA are merely carrying out their legal responsibility publishing the information, so no finger pointing at them (for a change!). :ok: Before the internet, the Register was available for public view at the Kingsway office at a terminal there, and before that it was in big folders with each registration having a hard copy sheet about 12x16 inches in size with space for about the first eight registered owners.

Most countries of the world publish their registers online too.

I have heard it suggested that people who disagree with this have something to hide, but I'm sure that would not include you. Others are just annoyed with themselves for not discovering it earlier!

JimBall
29th Jan 2008, 08:31
Man from Uncle: Well done to him, I also hope he doesn't follow the path of Smith, McCrea, or Hislop.

Leaving aside your spelling, I'm not certain that I follow your logic.

Open your eyes here (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/smittyrsquos-living-the-high-life-774808.html).

bolkow
29th Jan 2008, 08:48
yes, congrats to chris evans,
I see his r44 is brand new, ah well, I can dream!

manfromuncle
29th Jan 2008, 09:08
How very gracious of you to leave aside my spelling. I bow down to your superior language skills. My 'logic' is PPL(H) 'celebrities' who have had flying mishaps.

gingernut
29th Jan 2008, 09:18
He may not have a nom-de-plume just yet, but I think he listens in.

Comments on his show sometimes reflect threads on pprune.

JimBall
29th Jan 2008, 09:51
Uncle: My 'logic' is PPL(H) 'celebrities' who have had flying mishaps.

So they're different are they ? Different from all the non-celebrity incidents ? Or do you become a celebrity when you have an incident ?

That would be an interesting edition of "Heat" magazine. :ugh:

manfromuncle
29th Jan 2008, 10:00
Yes they are different, IF something happens. If they have a mishap it will be all over the news and will be extremely damaging to the image of the helicopter industry and the public perception of the dangers of helicopters, much more so than an 'ordinary' member of the public having an incident.

I've lost count of the number of my passengers who have ask me why the Colin Mcrae crash happened?/what happend to Noel Edmunds?/what happened to that Chelsea helicopter?/helicopters crash a lot don't they? etc.

Due to the press coverage, celebrity helicopter incidents re-enforce the public's mistaken belief that helicopters just randomly fall out of the sky.

scooter boy
29th Jan 2008, 10:32
What a great addition to the helicopter world.
Welcome Chris Evans.
I'm pretty sure he is well fed up of sitting around in traffic jams.

Good on him, lets hope he survives the silly mistakes we all make while gaining experience and adds to the kudos of helicopter ownership.

BTW Nice choice of aircraft - mine is also a clipper II!

SB

JimBall
29th Jan 2008, 11:20
MFU: much more so than an 'ordinary' member of the public having an incident.

What short memories we have. Just last weekend my tv news was filled with headlines about a fatal heli crash. And no celebrities were involved.

The real facts are that any air crash - and especially helicopter ones that kill people - gets into the headlines. Don't ask me why. Maybe because it's a rarity. Maybe it's because the pictures are more interesting than car crashes.

"News". Define it..........

Welcome, Chris, to our little community. We really don't care about your fame. We just want you to enjoy the flying and hope you and Mrs E (who got her PPL(H) last November) don't fall out over who claims the P1.

And just remember - if the heli breaks Rule 5 - it was her!

rotorboater
29th Jan 2008, 13:24
Well done Chris, and even better that you can share the flying SWMBO, you fly to the pub, she can fly home!;)

everynowandthen
29th Jan 2008, 13:51
ppheli

It's not really a case of the register being a published document. It's more to do with the fact that I'm sure that the great majority of us don't give a flying (no pun intended) doo daa about where Mr Evans lives but there are, from what I gather, a few folk (judging by the lunacy of some of the things I've seen written) who look at this site who might want to send him their used M&S smalls or perhaps a nicely perfumed teddy. On that basis, I wouldn't have put the link up.

Maybe I'm being an @nal eejit & feel free to give me a cyber-slap but there you go, my humble opinion.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
29th Jan 2008, 15:58
It's a well known fact that the UK Civil Aircraft Register is available to anyone who knows where to look (i.e the public domain). Quite why this is available and not the DVLA database I'm not sure, but it is.

So if you dont want your home address available to the general public or complaining NIMBYs, register your new toy to a company address or a PO BOX number..

CD

21lefthand
29th Jan 2008, 19:26
Are you any relation

Ken Wells
29th Jan 2008, 19:45
Well done Chris;

Welcome to the world of R44 fun.

gingernut
29th Jan 2008, 19:54
Sorry, no connection at all, just listen in on the way home.

My wings don't spin-(or a least they shouldn't:))

Lightning_Boy
30th Jan 2008, 19:36
Nice one Christoph Lamby Pie........Love the show!! :ok:

chevvron
30th Jan 2008, 19:51
Does David Essex still fly? When he was learning at Fairoaks, I'm told he used to pay cash with a wad of £50 notes!

Efirmovich
31st Jan 2008, 07:24
£50 notes !......What is he supposed to pay in £1 coins ?

E.