PDA

View Full Version : How do you become an aircraft engineer when your an old fart like me?

heinzbeanz
24th Jan 2008, 16:44
Title says it all really. Cant find anything in hear regarding this. Only stuff that relates to the younger generation. So Im sorry If its been covered.
I am looking for a career change and have been scanning this forum for quiet a whilst. I was originally looking at training to become a rotorhead. however, I dont have the financial backing at the moment to do that. I was therefore looking at doing the next best thing. Has anyone come across a mature apprentice before??? Any and all replies appreciated.:)

camflyer
24th Jan 2008, 17:07
Hi Heinzbeanz,

I used to work at Marshall Aerospace in Cambridge they run an Adult Re-Training Programme. Thats the only one I know of.

Cheers

heinzbeanz
24th Jan 2008, 17:11
I am Newcastle upon tyne at the moment so was thinking of approaching kingston university, but i dont know if they take mature students. will email them tomorrow. thanks camflyer

Vortechs Jenerator
24th Jan 2008, 18:22
I saw a guy do it about 9 years ago - he was 42. I wont name the place but he didn't get paid for the first year or 2 which was the custom at the establishment.

How old are you?

It is not usual. It's togh for young folk to get a foot in the door and it's tough even for trained technicians who've been out the game for a while to get back in.

BUT

The way things are going, standards seem to be having to plummet (no disrespect) because fewer are entering an expanding market so who knows?

Cessna Master Beta
24th Jan 2008, 20:48
I am an apprentice who started at age of 31, Sure you find it hard going to college with a group of 16 year olds.

Financially it doesn’t make real sense either. This job gives me great satisfaction so it out weighs the money

As a mature age apprentice I get paid as a third year. So that is liveable

So stick to your guns and chase that dream :}

ericferret
25th Jan 2008, 01:51
Apply to Bond, CHC or Bristows as far as I am aware they have no age limit on their apprenticeship schemes.

heinzbeanz
25th Jan 2008, 06:56
Thats great thanks for the advise. Am 34 by the way, so not that old.

chasb441
25th Jan 2008, 07:19
just a 'spring chicken' !!........i'm 51 and still working on some sort of license !! ...its the love of the job that keeps the old ones going, and a wealth of experience.
Many potential employers fail to realize and don't appreciate what experience means in the industry.

So go for it.......enjoy!!

knuckledragger1
26th Jan 2008, 11:43
Qantas have adult apprenticeships,
I would recommend them considering the demographic at qf at the moment,
i forsee quite a shortfall at the southern roo in a few years time, with all the retirements and redundancies.
no matter what anyone says, the RPT ops in AUS require people on the ground working aircraft!
if you do a 4 yr apprenticeship, that would coincide with the forecasted shortfall.
good luck

heinzbeanz
27th Jan 2008, 10:44
That in Australia though. Im in the North East of the UK.
Does anyone know if there are any apprenticeships in the UK?
Preferabley in Newcastle Upon Tyne.

virgo
28th Jan 2008, 18:14
Northbrook College at Shoreham Airport (Sussex) take students of any age over 19 on the EASA Aircraft Engineering courses.
Currently it's a two-year CAA approved course which will get you an A licence for piston and turbine engines and aircraft. Successful students are normally snapped up pretty quickly by the General Aviation and Airline industry.
Most courses have one or two "mature" students among their numbers who have always had a pretty clear run through the examination and practical hoops. Motivation, ability to private study and behavioural maturity tend to be an example to the "Jack-the-Lads" !
Only problem is you've got to contribute to the costs and support yourself for a couple of years. You may be entitled to Central or Local financial assistance and the training programme usually recognises that most students have to engage in "part-time" work to keep themselves in beer money - and maybe give Mum a bit towards their keep !
If you're interested, give Northbrook a call/Email/visit.
Best of luck.

heinzbeanz
29th Jan 2008, 15:03
Thanks for that, I'm a bit confused about the type of licenses that different colleges seem to run.

Northbrook qualify your for an 'A' license however Newcastle prepare you for your 'B1' license, both courses are hands on.

Whats the difference between an A, B and C license?

Vortechs Jenerator
29th Jan 2008, 16:25
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=177&pagetype=68&gid=196

Whats the difference between an A, B and C license?

You need to become VERY intimate with the CAA website for the rest of your working life if you want to be one of us

Terry McCassey
29th Jan 2008, 21:41
I've been one of you for the past 36 years and am certainly not very intimate with any website - least of all the CAA's !

Lightning5
30th Jan 2008, 06:48
Try Monarch at Luton. Understand that they train mature students into aircraft engineers with a mechanical background. Worth a shot!

heinzbeanz
30th Jan 2008, 07:26
Thanks a lot for all the advise. its been really helpful. I now have quite a few avenues to investigate:ok:

Vortechs Jenerator
30th Jan 2008, 09:00
I've been one of you for the past 36 years and am certainly not very intimate with any website - least of all the CAA's !I use it to access CAP's, BCAR's, AWN's, Licensing applications and all other forms etc, etc I need.

A lot of the general questions on here are easily answered by searching the site.

Glad you can get by without it.