PDA

View Full Version : Jar Ops 1, Jar25

Pilot_2000
24th Jan 2008, 11:55
Hey u all out there,

Have some questions concerning JAR OPS 1, for JAR 25 aircraft, would be pleased if some one could help me out her.

Are you allowed to takeoff/ land to an airport where the tower is closed (closed tower = uncontrolled airport) for a ferry flight? (This means that the no fire fighting at the airport)
2.May a flight (JAR 25 and passengers onboard) to an airport with reduced fire fighting category be commenced?

3.Where can I read more about this stuff?

Spitoon
24th Jan 2008, 16:17
These aren't really ATC questions. But here are a few thoughts from a UK perspective.

Are you allowed to takeoff/ land to an airport where the tower is closed (closed tower = uncontrolled airport) for a ferry flight? (This means that the no fire fighting at the airport)

I'm not sure that closed tower = uncontrolled airport. An airport is promulgated as controlled or uncontrolled. If a controlled airport has no ATC service at a particular time then you can't get a clearance to use the manoeuvring area, so closed tower = no clearance.

As far as ATC is concerned whether the aircraft is conducting a ferry flight or some other category of flight is immaterial (i.e. ATC don't care and, in general, nothing changes because of the categorisation that a pilot or airline uses for a flight), ATC is interested in the flight rules.

Just because the tower is closed does not mean that there is no RFFS. RFFS is an airport responsibility and very often this is managed separately from ATC (certainly there are different sets of rules to be applied). There are situations where RFFS cover is available and operations continue even though the tower is officially closed.

May a flight (JAR 25 and passengers onboard) to an airport with reduced fire fighting category be commenced?

This is entirely up to the commander who will be operating in accordance with the relevant Ops Manual. All ATC can do is tell you what RFFS cover is available. If it helps, I know of plenty of situations where an aircraft departs for an airport that zero RFFS cover at the moment of take-off but where the airport will later open and, under normal circumstances, have the requisite RFFS cover available for the landing. Presumably if the requisite level of RFFS cover is not available as the aircraft nears its destination the commander will decide, again with the help of his or her trusty Ops Manual, whether or where to divert. PS - reduced RFFS does not necessarily mean less than required for your operation.

Where can I read more about this stuff?
JAR-25 if you want to know about the certification and airworthiness of your aeroplane and the relevant bits of JAR-OPS (if EASA hasn't swallowed it up and called it something else by now) if you want to know about the operation of commercial air transport aircraft.

oldandbald
24th Jan 2008, 18:18
In a wider sense, leaving aside licence and ops approvals, my past experience showed it was down to liabilities/insurance.
Some time ago I was involved in a situation where the operator of a commercial aircraft requested departure from a UK airport with no fire cover or ATC. He was presented with a long disclaimer to sign absolving Airport Authority from any responsibility and quoting the necessary insurance required. After discussions with his insurer the operator abandoned the idea!

DFC
25th Jan 2008, 17:02
JAR-OPS 1 (EU-OPS) and JAR-25 are separate and totally unrelated rules.

JAR-25 is the requirements for design and certification of large aircraft eg B737 etc.

Your average C172 is certified according to JAR-23.

It is possible for JAR-25 aircraft to be operated privately by pilots who hold PPLs (and lots and lots and lots of money :D )

JAR-OPS1 is the stanard of operation for commercial flights. Being public transport flights if operated under JAR-OPS 1 then appropriate fire cover would be required in this (JAR-OPS 1) type of operation.

Regards,

DFC