PDA

View Full Version : CARGO AIRLINE IN THE DOLDRUMS

RICHARDTODD
28th Sep 2001, 15:44
I have heard news today that a leading US based cargo airline is in panic mode. A statement issued said Air Cargo sales managers were given a 15% pay cut and air charter managers asked to leave.

A leading air charter broker in LGW was facing certain shutdown and was given BFH (Bus fare home)

:mad:

Boss Cat
28th Sep 2001, 19:01
It is only a matter of time before the Cargo market also dries up in the teeth of a recesion. Apart from the Air Force Transports that is! :D

TowerDog
28th Sep 2001, 20:10
Which leading US cargo carrier is in panic mode?

UPS, FED-EX, DHL???

JB007
28th Sep 2001, 20:54
Aren't Air Fright Express (AFX)@ LHR in trouble too....

I know they do alot of work for Cargolux but I belive there other B747 is a, what engineers refer to as a "christmas tree"..i.e Spares to keep the fleet flying.
Also heard the CEO was personally paying for the Jeppesen manuals with his Credit Card!!

palmtree
28th Sep 2001, 21:23
Hi - JB007 - ref AFX - dont think so !
G-INTL their flying 747-200F is personally owned by the CEO via AFX Capital Ltd which he owns 100% of and they paid cash for it - do you know of any other 747 operators that own 747-200F aircraft with no debt?

I checked your Jepp story and yes the CEO did use his credit card for a set of Jepps when G-INTL was in Arizona and they needed a set urgently and it would take too long to ship via London.

Anyway AFX are looking for 2 more 747-200F aircraft that they can buy. The Christmas tree you refer to is G-GAFX and is leased from Boeing - no fly - no pay.

The good news is that AFX are starting a new sked service from LHR to CHICAGO this Sunday and will be flying 2x a week. The have their own handing set-up in ORD at the cargo building near the International Terminal. Los Angeles, Atlanta, Miami and a re start to JFK to follow as soon as more aircraft are available. G-GAFX should be back in the air withing 2 weeks and will re-start a direct LHR-HKG service 3 times a week.

Yes things are tight as a result of loosing $10,000,000 at the hands of evergreen and this is now the subject of a court case but we all support each other here at AFX and if we dont overstretch ourselves a good future.

JB007
29th Sep 2001, 00:09
Palmtree,

Thanks for that, you know how rumours blow out of all proportion! http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/FIREdevil.gif

Of course I hope it all sorts it's self out - and if everyone in AFX has your attitude, i'm sure it will. http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/thumbs.gif

raitfaiter
1st Oct 2001, 18:17
See, Guvnor, you can do it.... with money, the correct aircraft, and management expertise.... :p