PDA

View Full Version : what to do???

garn
23rd Jan 2008, 12:08
Hey,

Im 23, i have no prior mechanical experience and i want to become a helicopter engineer. A lot of people have said this is going to be very tough to accomplish which i dont mind, as its all i want to do and i will get there!

However, im confused as to how i should go about it. Should i just start a course in Aero engineering that for example lasts two years and gives me an EASA 66 license after 2/3 years " practical " work in the job. If so where are these courses and can i do a course where you work on planks, but still go on to work on helicopters as the few courses ive looked at seem to be plank based.

Or should i just ask every single company in the land if they will take me on for their apprenticeships. Ill work anywhere, im not bothered about moving if someone gives me the oppertunity.

I hope someone can give me some advice or even just tell me not to bother!! haha:}

Thanks,

Nathan.Hunter
23rd Jan 2008, 12:31
Go to uni!

Loads about , can do intro course if grades arnt up to much ect,

it will be the best years of your life!

Can get a 12 month placement after 2 years easy then go bk and finnish you degree! lots of jobs going atm and it looks to continue!

garn
23rd Jan 2008, 13:24
cool, what course would you recommend? any standout colleges/unis?
The only issue i have with uni is 3 years!!! and the cost of it!!!haha

Nathan.Hunter
23rd Jan 2008, 14:13
Lol it will be the best 3 years of your life mind! and cost-wise you can get a student loan that will cover that so worry about that later (9% on everything over 15k you earn or somthing)

As for Uni's

its good to get one that offers a sandwich year, takes an extra year but that year you in a related job getting good experience and getting paid quite well for it (and you still get your loan through)

a few courses i kno about are

Aerospace Engineering - probs best for you as lots on structures and propultion

Aerospace Systems Engineering - (what i'm doing, goes more into the systems and circuitry of the aircraft)

Aerospace Engineering with pilot studies - probs not suited for you as its trying to gear someone towards a pilot ect

Have a look at various courses and read all the moduals that you do and then what location you'll be in ect and want links they have to the industry

Geezer7348
23rd Jan 2008, 14:37
hi Garn,

If you after an apprenticeship I know that some of the Helicopter Operators in Aberdeen do run them. You should try contacting Bond, CHC Scotia or even Bristows Eastern Hemisphere.

Good Luck

garn
23rd Jan 2008, 14:52
Yer i know about the big boys up in scotland, ill be giving them a shout in april when they start auditioning people. ill have to check unis too, i also have the feeling that i could only start a cource next year now, so thats why im hoping for an apprenticeship this year!

Thanks so far you guys!!

slapdash8
23rd Jan 2008, 22:53
university is not the best way to get into aeroengineering im afraid.

it may very well be the best 3 years of your life socially, but it will cost, and you can do the same at college in less time, for less money.

an apprenticeship is by far the best route, and, although few and far between, they can be found. on the job training is vital for a quicker turn around time on your license. with university courses, plus your easa part 66 exams, plus your ojt after, then licence application and type rating you could be looking at upto 6 or 7 years

with an apprenticeship, you can look at having your licence in 4, and you'll be paid to train.

its a no brainer, and worth putting in the work to find somewhere that will take you.

try

http://www.bhab.flyer.co.uk/index2.htm

for more info

can i also ask...why helos? never trust anything with wings that spin!

garn
24th Jan 2008, 08:54
Haha, yer they are crazy things to fly and be around, that probably why i want to service them!!! I just find them amazing and i love to fly them to.

Ive had a good read of the old advisery board and i totally agree with you on the apprenticeship thing, but do you think its realistic for me to get on one with no prior experience? Im trying my best to get some work experience, but would it be more beneficial to complete a course ( 2years only hopefully) and gain my EASA 66 and then go for an apprenticeship?

I know it takes longer and it costs but i have to be an engineer, ill go mad otherwise and i dont want to go begging for apprenticeships and end up getting " no way" from all the companies as ive then possibly wasted another year. dam being 23 and not 16 again!

Nathan.Hunter
24th Jan 2008, 12:23
I dont know how hard it is to get into the jobs without uni so i cant comment on that but after uni you will walk into a job, and you wont be in as much debt as people make out

garn
24th Jan 2008, 12:36
What would you say is the best course to do then?

belfastvern
24th Jan 2008, 13:17
As an employee of one of the `big` 3 in ABZ we have recently had our first batch of new apprentices come into the fold and i was a bit surprised that they have been studying for, and sitting A licence exams. I`m also a bit surprised at their training as it seems to have been orientated towards the bigger world of fixed wing.
As for degrees, my son has a mechanical eng degree and is struggling to get a job.
No matter which route you take it will be difficult , but there is a severe shortage of us rotary wing types especially B2 and aberdeen has a mass of new aircraft both now and scheduled in the near future.
My 2 pennith worth would be that if you go to a college/uni make sure it is a 147 approved as if it isn`t then it`s worthless. Good luck young man.

garn
24th Jan 2008, 14:27
Thanks alot for that, thats helped me alot as i was getting confused when looking at colleges/unis