PDA

View Full Version : Average age of retirement for ATCO's

atcowannabe
23rd Jan 2008, 08:29
All,

Forgive me if this has been asked before - I couldn't find any post similar.

I was wondering what the 'average' age of retirement for Atcos is? By this I don't mean retirement by choice but rather due to being unable to continue with being an ATCO due to issues meaning a medical would be failed (failing eyesight, hearing etc).

I understand totally that this will change massively between individuals however I am just trying to get an idea of what my 'expected' career length could be. I am starting at the college over the summer and am 28 now so just wondering whether it is usual for ATCO's to stay in service over 45, over 55, over 60?

Also, if an ATCO fails a medical due to eyesight or something similar, is it usual for NATS to 'find' another role for you to fill? I would have thought this would be in their interest!

Any thoughts would be helpful!

Hyperborean
23rd Jan 2008, 09:13
I'm sure some NATS guys will leap in with more accurate figures but a significant number of my contemporaries in Nats have gone to max pension and retired at 57/58. Out here in the sticks you can carry on,medical permitting, beyond 60. HIAL's pension age is 65. In my own case I am 59 and my medical is suspended at present but Gatwick tell me I could get it back after my treatment is completed. I have a couple of colleagues around the same age still working and I know of a couple of over 60s. So I guess it's down to the individual, stay sharp and fit and carry on as long as you want.

Roffa
23rd Jan 2008, 11:47
In the last 20 years or so I can only think of around a handful of people that I've worked with or know of that have been medically retired. Talking NATS here and specifically at the units I've worked at.

By far the majority work a full career and retire at the point of their own choosing, usually sometime between age 55 and 60.

If you do have medical issues NATS is a pretty good employer to work for.

throw a dyce
23rd Jan 2008, 11:55
I've seen people bolt for the door at 50,and other are coming back for more after 60.Depends on where you are and how you feel.Some people have nothing to do,and others say retiring is the best thing they ever did.
Just one point is that after April 2010 the minimum age you can get your pension rises in the UK from 50,to 55.Thank you Mr Blair,and I see it hasn't stopped him getting his gold plated,platimum linked,MP's final salary and the rest golden goodbye.:mad: politicians.

Spitoon
23rd Jan 2008, 15:44
Down here in deepest Devon over 40% of our ATCO's are over 60 and one is 70 this year.Good heavens, I didn't realise Tim was that old!

Yes, I know I'll probably have to delete this later......

atcowannabe
24th Jan 2008, 07:58
Thanks all - very helpful responses!

andrijander
24th Jan 2008, 15:45
Yes even though it's a hell of a nice job to do it is a killer. There was a study made a couple of years ago and it was very concerning. Basically they checked the story with around 1200 controllers. As average the ones retiring at 55 (earliest at EC and would assume all over unless you can arrange something with employer) would keep on living for another 15 years. They started to drop earlier as they'd retire later to the point of the ones retiring at 65 not making it further than 7 months!!!

So it's a no brainer for me....

A.

baw676
24th Jan 2008, 19:16
We have an old grunting useless git here who's 63 and would love to stay here till he died cause he is tight and greedy. Made 30000+ last year in overtime and usually only has about 3-4 days off a month. Can usually be seen down Lidl or Aldi of a Thursday or Sunday stocking up, and this is the man that makes into 6 figures every year.

He is about as efficient as a Trabant and every other controller hates working with him. His last quote was "I would hate to be one of my colleagues that i sit beside who can't handle the job anymore" obviously he is mistaking the reflection in the radar screen of himself as someone else.

On the beach
24th Jan 2008, 21:33
Retired in 2005, aged 56, and still alive. Is this a record?:ok:

45 before POL
24th Jan 2008, 23:57
Most of the radar atcos seem to be retiring at 55 at swanwick ac. Although a few LASups continiue till 60(guess they can still cope with the sudoku). Others that got into the offices seem to go on till 60 as well........Think I will stick to te radar!! that sunny beach is getting closer (and i don't mean bognor!) 17 more years:E:E

Hyperborean
25th Jan 2008, 14:48
Time to hang up the headset then!

bruman
25th Jan 2008, 16:00
here in brussels we have to stop at 55:ok: and we go in a kind of early retirement with about 80 % of our latest paycheck

garp
25th Jan 2008, 18:29
retirement...ASAP!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes even though it's a hell of a nice job to do it is a killer. There was a study made a couple of years ago and it was very concerning. Basically they checked the story with around 1200 controllers. As average the ones retiring at 55 (earliest at EC and would assume all over unless you can arrange something with employer) would keep on living for another 15 years. They started to drop earlier as they'd retire later to the point of the ones retiring at 65 not making it further than 7 months!!!

So it's a no brainer for me

Can you give the reference for this?

Mr_Grubby
25th Jan 2008, 20:38
On the beach.

I was retired in 2002, aged 51.

Every morning I check the Obits in the Times. If I'm not mentioned, I get up.

Still around and feeling good.

C.

GetTheFlick
25th Jan 2008, 22:52
Can you give the reference for this?

Perhaps I can help.

See the chart included on this blog post (about halfway through the article.)

Don't Take the Blood Money ! (http://themainbang.typepad.com/blog/2008/01/dont-take-the-b.html)

In America, mandatory retirement is before reaching age 56. You're eligible after 20 years of working traffic and reaching age 50...or 25 years of working air traffic at any age.

I retired at 48. I highly recommend it. :)

Don Brown
Get the Flick (http://gettheflick.*************/)

SINGAPURCANAC
26th Jan 2008, 07:49
Once, during union meeting an old( very old) technician told me :
" My son, so far no one enjoy long term pension after ATC carrier. Take it now,and do not ask about pension scheme. You and your colleagues wouldn't enjoy it. 1 or 2 years is average maximum. "
So if you have an option to take bigger salary and low pension - TAKE IT!

garp
26th Jan 2008, 09:41
TX Don. I had a look at the study. The next one mentioned (Shell) claims the exact opposite. In any case good to hear you guys can leave after 20 or 25 years. They can bring this rule here whenever they want.

CAP493
27th Jan 2008, 14:14
We have an old grunting useless git here who's 63 and would love to stay here till he died cause he is tight and greedy...
Rather an ageist comment, I think - since you're residing and working in the EU where this sort of crass remark is now illegal (as are thankfully, racist, sexist and homophobic comments). :uhoh:

He is about as efficient as a Trabant and every other controller hates working with him.
Then your local competency/examining system is obviously failing as are your unit examiners and also your unit management. :hmm:

Standard Noise
27th Jan 2008, 18:12
Rumour has it that one of my ex-colleagues at a small Midllands airport is still working and he's getting on for 70. If he's reading this, all power to you J, keep up the good work!

andrijander
27th Jan 2008, 18:17
I don't agree...you see he's not saying he's an "old grunting useless git" because he's 63. He just happens to be 63 and all of the above. We've got plenty of these and they're in their mid 30's and mid 40's. It has nothing to do with age.

And yes discrimination isn't allowed around but we don't need the PC police, thank you! That's just overkill if you ask me...I think good'ol common sense should apply.

A.

Talkdownman
27th Jan 2008, 18:38
My SATCO is 75 in two weeks. Class 1 Med, APS valid, current PPL. He one of the finest, most upstanding and capable ATCOs one could ever wish to meet. Neither is he useless nor does he grunt. Those who wish to be ageist should join those age-discriminating wasters who seem to populate nats management and nats HR who are totally incapable of compliance with The Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006.

atcomarkingtime
29th Jan 2008, 22:19
right thats it...i'm away abroad to work....I'm 35 and worked for NATS for 16 yrs....so I can retire in 9 yrs time then...cool!!! I'd love to.....or ...... dunno...I'd miss talking to myself....er...sorry aircraft (same thing half the time.....they always seem to have intermitant radio problems!)

atcowannabe
30th Jan 2008, 07:52
How does the pension etc work in NATS? Do you just have to work for 25 years to get the pension? Is there any advantage to working for longer? (other than not having to be stuck at home with the wife :ouch: :) )

Vampy
30th Jan 2008, 08:14
I was speaking to a couple of FAA controllers a couple of years back and we got talking to pensions & retirement. Apparently a study had been done in the US and it showed that controllers who retired at 50 had a lifespan on average of 20-25years into retirement. Those who retired at the mandatory 56 had a life expectancy of 3-5 years.............

veloo maniam
30th Jan 2008, 08:19
In Malaysia it is 56 mandatory. One day OFF and report for work the following day due to shortage of radar rated guys.There is a bloke who is 60, medically fit, does Apch Radar and dragon dancing.:ok:

throw a dyce
30th Jan 2008, 10:33
Nats pension.You don't need 25 years to get a pension.You can claim a reduced pension after 50,(55 after April 2010 :{) Normal retirement age is 60 but you can go on after that is you want.
Obviously the more you put in,the more you get out.Other options are AVC buying added years,or money savings.Working longer? It depends on where you are and how you feel.Personally I think that the stress of the job takes it's toll after 40.I would rather get out with my health intact,than have a bigger pension,but be a dribbling wreck because the job gave me a heart attack or a stroke.:hmm:

andrijander
30th Jan 2008, 11:41
Throw a dyce,

Obviously the more you put in,the more you get out

not quite true...the way I see it, and what studies in this matter seem to indicate, there's a tipping point were you won't get as much out as you did put in. Which, personally, p122es the h3ll out of me, as probably the employer will keep that money... well not if I can help it, thanks for asking.

I agree with you in leaving with the best asset possible: health.

A.

Talkdownman
30th Jan 2008, 17:19
dyce wrote: Personally I think that the stress of the job takes it's toll after 40.I would rather get out with my health intact,than have a bigger pension,but be a dribbling wreck because the job gave me a heart attack or a stroke.

nats changing the pension rules 5 weeks before retirement after 40 years operational service is enough to make one a dribbling wreck with a heart attack or a stroke.
Outrageous, disgraceful, shameful, iniquitous behaviour by nats hr, lower case intended. I shall never, ever forgive them. I hope that they have learnt from that gross misjudgement of how to treat loyal staff, but I doubt it.

chevvron
30th Jan 2008, 18:24
Throw a dyce; I've had correspondence recently with HR about normal retirement age; like you I think it's 60 (which I'm fast approaching), they insisted it's 65.
'So when was this change agreed?' I asked. I've had no reply.