View Full Version : All pilot stuff is old fashion

aeroarrow
22nd Jan 2008, 05:34
Do you guy feel all the pilot stuff are very old fashion....even in this high tech time! All still in old fashion,not stylish and follow the age....:bored:Very boaring.....Even the motorsport ...we call see lots of innovation!!!

Final 3 Greens
22nd Jan 2008, 06:22
Hve you seen the training and rental fleet - at least the stuff matches the aircraft :yuk:

IO540
22nd Jan 2008, 08:00
There is virtually no innovation on the pilot supplies front, but that is because most money pilot shops make comes from

- ATPL study materials (these never change)
- clothing (likewise; the closer to WW2 the better)

Clearly it's a business in which you never get rich but at least it is steady :)

shortstripper
22nd Jan 2008, 08:05
I know what you mean ... but in a crash and burn, I'd sooner be wearing Lindbergh style cotton and leather, than Ali Gee style shell suit and polyester hat! :eek:

SS

'Chuffer' Dandridge
22nd Jan 2008, 17:24
Hi Viz jackets are fairly modern looking........!

I'll get me coat:E

radicalrabit
22nd Jan 2008, 23:59
Brill, thanks for the laughter .....I eagerly await my 41 year old Cherokee.
almost as old as I am but what the hell? It still does the job...:ok:

kookabat
23rd Jan 2008, 01:10
I'd done about 100 hours before I flew in an aeroplane that was younger than me... :eek:

I've always chuckled that, when this 'flying' thing is supposed to be all cutting-edge, when we want to know how much fuel is on board we go the high-tech solution and poke a long bit of varnished wood into the tank...

DX Wombat
23rd Jan 2008, 07:54
I'd done about 100 hours before I flew in an aeroplane that was younger than me... ALL the aircraft I have flown have been younger than I am. :) :ok:

Lasiorhinus
23rd Jan 2008, 14:22
You must be old, then! :ok:

I just checked my logbook - hour 118 was the first one in an aircraft younger than myself, and about 5% of my total time is in such 'young-uns'.

SNS3Guppy
23rd Jan 2008, 19:03
Since when has aviation been about "fashion?"

The white silk scrarves of yesteryear were all about wiping castor oil from one's goggles, and thick leather and sheepskin flying suits have been about not freezing to death. Sunglasses may look "cool," but are about spotting traffic and avoiding eye strain and fatigue. All very "fashionable," I'm sure...but it's about function.

You may be surprised to learn that the laws of aerodynamics, whilst always under study and only recently put to good use by man, haven't changed in thousands of years. Old fashioned?

Zorst
23rd Jan 2008, 19:29
I've always chuckled that, when this 'flying' thing is supposed to be all cutting-edge, when we want to know how much fuel is on board we go the high-tech solution and poke a long bit of varnished wood into the tank...

If you fly a 1950s de Havilland design, you'll find extremely accurate fuel gauges just where you'd like them to be. Why Cessna and Piper can't do this in 2000-and-something is their problem, not technology's.

(A bit of it's down to buyers willing to purchase rubbish, too).

llanfairpg
23rd Jan 2008, 20:55
More worrying is that the syllabus that some of you are following was dreamt up in the first world war!

BristolScout
24th Jan 2008, 10:31
This reminds me of the story of the young medical student sent to a GP's surgery for work experience. He watched the doctor prescribe medication to a patient with some surprise. After the patient had left the room he said, somewhat condescendingly, "still using that old stuff?" The doctor replied, "Yes, fortunately it still works".

llanfairpg
24th Jan 2008, 15:52
Yep, bring back Birch amd Bramson Flight Briefing for Pilots and Tiger Moths.

"still using that old stuff?" The doctor replied, "Yes, fortunately it still works".

Well apart from the NHS!

Zorst
24th Jan 2008, 19:47
dreamt up in the first world war

No, some bits of it were put together then, but they were a bit too busy, errr, fighting a war, to just 'dream' things up.

Of course, if they'd been able to look ahead to England 2008, they wouldn't have bothered.

kwachon
24th Jan 2008, 19:53
Birch amd Bramson Flight Briefing for Pilots

Now that brings back memories..I think I still have the Aerobatics one. :8

llanfairpg
24th Jan 2008, 20:42
No, some bits of it were put together then, but they were a bit too busy, errr, fighting a war, to just 'dream' things up

Robert Smith Barrie was one of the first pilots to train at CFS, he returned from the front to re-organise training at CFS in August 1917 and it is from that period that the present syllabus was developed. He was also involved in training in the second world war.

Zorst
25th Jan 2008, 19:51
So did someone 'dream up' the syllabus as per your earlier post?