View Full Version : Diamond DA42 stranded at Gatwick

hkeng
20th Jan 2008, 15:00
Couple of weeks ago a Shoreham based DA42 ligth twin apparently diverted into Gatwick, it's still sitting on the ground and cordoned off, anyone know what's happened. Parking fee must be enormus.:(

smarthawke
20th Jan 2008, 18:25
So back to the original question: DA42 had alternator belt failure on Dec 30, which drives water pump. Engine shut down and pilot chose to divert to Gatwick. Aircraft presumably awaiting new engine or defect rectification. Hope it isn't being charged £300/day parking fees which have been quoted as being typical for that location.

Merc A Class engines aren't known for being particularly unreliable. Thielert/Centurion 1.7 engine is predominantly the same engine but with many other bits fitted by Thielert. Reliability isn't exactly outstanding and one might want to question the wisdom of a belt driven water pump rather than using an accessory drive off the reduction gear box.

Sternone. Just give up on your 'I'd prefer to crash in a Mooney' pathetic ramblings. This DA42 didn't crash or crash land, it diverted.

A Mooney wouldn't have diverted to LGW if its engine failed in the same geographical location.... The Mooney company have had many owners over they years. Customer support may be good with the current owners but is probably no better than others. No doubt you have first hand experience?

[Edited to say that if the above appears strange, I think the Mods have removed some Sternone-induced comments - that may not surprise some people!]

Tall_guy_in_a_152
25th Jan 2008, 14:59
Pleased to report that the aircraft landed back home at Shoreham at 12:59 this afternoon.

DX Wombat
25th Jan 2008, 15:00
Rather more information about the incident here (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=40480).
Moggiee, is FP still in kit form or has some progress been made?

alright jack
25th Jan 2008, 17:46
Actually one of the engine mounting bolts fell out and then found it's way to the drive belt pulleys.It was only "loctited in" which is probably not too clever. Best check the remainder of the fleet ,do light aircraft have a reporting procedure for defects like ASR's,MOR's as on Civil Airliners ?

moggiee
25th Jan 2008, 21:58
Moggiee, is FP still in kit form or has some progress been made?
To be honest, I don't have the foggiest! Caroline will know rather more, I'm sure.

DX Wombat
25th Jan 2008, 22:01
Thank you. :)