PDA

View Full Version : ATC Whats good and Bad

RadarRambler
20th Jan 2008, 14:37
If someone asked you to say what was good about the job, and the bad points, what would you say?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Jan 2008, 14:55
I was an ATCO both at home and abroad, non-state and state for somewhere around 35 years. I worked several different watch systems at totally different units providing a mix of Aerodrome, Approach, Approach Radar, FIS and Area Control. I can honestly say I can think of no bad points and that I enjoyed almost every minute. The only downside was two serious accidents I was involved in (thankfully not my fault). Otherwise it was fantastic.. It's immensely satisfying, provides excellent conditions of service (with NATS) - good pay, stacks of time off, great work colleagues, etc, etc.

Roffa
20th Jan 2008, 17:38
Good - your workmates and the time off.

Bad - shifts do get harder as you get older and, at least as far as NATS is concerned, its current slow transformation in to an Oceania Ministry complete with its own brand of Newspeak.

RadarRambler
22nd Jan 2008, 01:10
Good - Pay, shifts can be good sometimes especially for time off, Work collegues, job satisfaction, the buzz.

Bad - Shifts sometimes a nightmare for planning, and always on a night shift when there is something social to do! Law changes such as Duty of Care and corporate manslaughter, had to the pressure alongside the corporate pressures the companies are starting to face.