PDA

View Full Version : lack of confidence

vectis lady
16th Jan 2008, 15:46
need a bit of advice pls

i gained my ppl in aug 06 but then moved house almost straight away, so im not familar with the airport and area i am now using and due to a lack of confidence ive not flown that much, i think only 6 hrs and only 2 of those were solo the rest with an instructor, im not really sure how to get over this because i love flying im just lacking in the confidence to believe that im ok on my own, i thought about going back to my old club to build my confidence but im not sure how much that would help,

people have obviously said that i need to fly with an instructor which i have done but when i do this im fine and there are no problems so im not sure its helping. and when i do fly solo there are no problems and its not like im a nervous wreck in the air and a danger to others

have any of you had students or ex students that have had a similar problem or any ideas what i can do to get over it?

thanks for anything you can suggest, as i love flying but unless i can get over this i feel i may give up

r44flyer
16th Jan 2008, 15:55
I think most, if not every student has the same aprehension. I know I do.

I believe the only way to rid yourself of these feelings is to get more solo time. Challenge yourself with busy airspace, longer nav flights and land-aways. You'll get more proficient and more confident the more you do, and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. Get comfortable with things one step and a time, and build on your experience flight by flight.

You have a fear of the unknown, and/or a fear of things going wrong in a way that you can't handle. At the end of the day, you're inexperienced so you're entitled to make mistakes, nobody's perfect as they say. You can't be the 'perfect' pilot from licence issue+1.

Take passengers up as well, having them coo over how wonderfully clever you are will help boost your confidence in what you are doing. However, remember that it's not an excuse to show off, always remain professional and you'll get the right kind of benefit from it.

fireflybob
16th Jan 2008, 16:03
Firstly totally sympathise with you and full marks for asking for help!

I assume you have talked this over with your current flying instructor - if not, I advise you do so.

I presume your were reasonably confident at your previous location. Can you think of anything specific which has led to the reduction in confidence?

Have you been taken around the local area by your instructor to familiarise etc? Also do you homework on all the charts and procedures for the new location.

I believe confidence comes from competence which comes from training, practice, knowledge etc.

Also, within reason, don't be afraid of making the odd mistake - these are very often your biggest learning experiences!

Hope this helps

Duchess_Driver
16th Jan 2008, 16:23
Ask your school ops desk to put you in touch with a PPL who also has a freshly minted licence. That way the two of you can build up experiences together. It's also a good way to ho that little bit further afield without increasing the cost too much.

When I first got my ticket, I used to fly with a friend - he flew while I navigated and radioed - and vice versa. I found that an easy way to be looking out the window while flying to see where we were going, without the distractions of the more mundane bits.

Put a note on the club-house board to draw out possible flying partners, or try the 'private flyers' forum here on prune.

Good luck - And never give up!

llanfairpg
16th Jan 2008, 17:48
Sorry to hear about your problems.

There is a big difference between Cosford and the IOW isnt there?

I think you also did a tailwhel conversion or were thinking of doing one were you not?

Sadly the only way to get rid of a fear is to face it. As Bob asked though, what is it that is making you feel under confident?

VFE
16th Jan 2008, 20:08
As llanfairpg said, getting stuck in is about the only way to get over it. My guess is the airspace around you is intimidating you and you are afraid of getting lost. Am I right? Firstly you need to fully familiarise yourself, by use of a chart, with the local area and airspace. Once you have done that then maybe a familiarisation flight with a club member of similar experience (not an instructor) would be useful and then you can look out the window at local features and mentally think through where you intend to fly on your first flight alone and away from the circuit whilst sharing the workload. Speak to your flying club and ask them to put you in touch with fellow inexperienced flyers - many feel the same way as you and are begging to go flying with similar folks and this can be a very enjoyable and rewarding way of getting the most from your PPL.

If you are intimidated by possible radio work then speak to an RT instructor and get them to go through the standard phrases used when requesting a FIS (for example) and rejoining the aerodrome circuit.

Only you know what is intimidating you so only you can remedy it, remember you have passed the PPL tests and hold a licence, you have proved you have the ability to now branch out - just make sure you plan throroughly and do everything to assure yourself BEFORE youget in the air that you know what you intend to do. And don't forget that D&D (121.5) are always there in case you get totally lost!

VFE.