PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Rescue

Chris Bower
16th Jan 2008, 12:16
I'm researching a new primetime BBC1 series about heroic rescues, provisionally titled Emergency Rescue. I'm looking for stories of people having to step out of their comfort zone or improvise to rescue their fellow man.

If you have any stories which you think may be relevant please either reply to this thread / email me at [email protected] / call me on 020 7861 8295.

It would be helpful to know:
1) What happened
2) Who was involved
3) If any footage exists of the incident / rescue

The stories don't have to be related to flying.

Thank you very much for your help.

Chris

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Jan 2008, 12:43
Is it going to be a serious programme (some hope?)? Or is it to be a typical grossly over-sensationalised docu-soap full of half-second shots, fast zooming and lots of whoosing noises which seem to be the favoured techniques of producers nowadays?

llondel
16th Jan 2008, 12:52
He said "primetime". That should answer your questions for you.

Bealzebub
16th Jan 2008, 12:54
The stories don't have to be related to flying.

Remind me what this website is all about ? Rumours & News being its front page.

PAXboy
16th Jan 2008, 12:55
HD, you left these off the list:
Lots of people being asked to recount their memories and then breaking down in tears and feeling ghastly about it over again.
A voice-over that is 'slightly breathless' to build the 'tension'. More tension = Male; More sympathy = Female.
Folks wandering around a normal field saying, "I can't believe it all looks so normal now".
Transitions and edits made up of a montage of swirling blue lights in darkness and the sound of emergency vehicle sirens.
Where film does not exist and a graphic would be really useful to explain what happened - no graphic. Due to cost?
Constructive analysis of what went wrong and whether it was just bad luck, due to ignorance, alcohol or malice???????Sorry Mr Bower, it's not personal and you have a job to do - BUT the folks who frequent this web site are more interested in facts and explanation than the sensationalism of the Britain's Biggest Baby/Car Smash/Rescue/Whatevver told through sobs and personal points of view, unblemished by facts. That is not to say that there is no interest in 'human interest' stories just that explanation and facts are more helpful. We all know that TV has to save money and getting stories from us is easy.

I repeat, nothing personal against you, only the state of British television.

WHBM
16th Jan 2008, 12:57
Dear Chris Bower

We honestly do not mean to be negative or unhelpful, but there is a longstanding history of aviation professionals finding any information provided in this way is twisted and distorted to "make good viewing", leaving those of us who actually understand the situation embarrassed by the stupidities portrayed.

Regarding heroic rescues, many in aviation can still recall the TV news pictures of the Air Florida 737 accident in the centre of Washington where a surviving passenger, struggling and drowning in the freezing Potomac River, was steadfastly filmed by a passing TV crew, who even after a passer-by alongside them dived in and aided her, gave no assistance whatsoever to either victim or rescuer because it would have spoiled "their" footage. Perhaps you can cover this one first, and include these comments.

By the way, remember any story involving an aviation incident will never be accepted for broadcast without these phrases regularly included :

a) "Plunged"
b) "Grimly wrestled with the controls"
c) "Narrowly missed a school"

I believe that in recent times "plummeted" is an acceptable alternative to "plunged".

GlueBall
16th Jan 2008, 13:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkZADajKIsQ

barit1
16th Jan 2008, 13:07
Shove microphone in a poor victim's/relative's/witnesses face, ask "How does that make you feel?"

:yuk:

Chris Bower
16th Jan 2008, 15:13
Firstly thank you to those who have phoned, emailed and posted here already.

I will attempt to answer some of the queries / criticisms so far.

The show is a serious look at dramatic rescues. The focus is therefore on the aftermath of an incident. The show will be aired before the watershed (I recognise this is an international website and other nations may not be familiar with this term, but it means the content has to adhere to guidelines to protect younger viewers) and so we're not looking to scare the life out of anyone by over sensationalising perilous situations.

I'm not going to condemn other people in my industry for using words such as "plummet" or "plunge" as I understand they are attempting to maximise the impact of their stories in order to gain a higher market share. I can confirm however that this is not the kind of show we are trying to make.

We are making every attempt to contact everyone involved with the stories we are telling in order to interview them for the programme and present a balanced view of what happened.

As for "non-flying stories" I figured while I had people's attention I ought to make it clear that we're not just making a programme about air related incidents so if anyone has another story let me know.

I appreciate there will be some people who already have strong opinions based on previous TV shows, but I would like to point out that this is a brand new show and some of the criticisms which are being brought up have nothing to do with our programme. We are in contact with a number of bravery awards organisations and my own take on the show is that we're presenting the stories of these people, and others like them, to a wider audience.

I'm not trying to criticise anyone else's opinions or views, only to express my own and hopefully alleviate some of your fears about the shows.

If there are any further queries please let me know by any of the methods posted already.

Finally thank you very much for taking the time to read these messages and allowing me to post on your website.

jimworcs
16th Jan 2008, 16:43
Sorry Mr Bower, it's not personal and you have a job to do - BUT the folks who frequent this web site are more interested in facts and explanation

The other thing that characterises many of those who frequent this website is that they are cynical :mad:

barit1
16th Jan 2008, 19:31
I too apologize to CB for my skepticism/cynicism, but I've been this route before; and while his intentions may be completely hono(u)rable, my bet is that the finished product will bear the trademarks of someone's "improvements" to enhance market share.

After all, that is their raison d'etre.

:rolleyes:

PAXboy
16th Jan 2008, 19:54
Not pilot speaking.

Again, not personal to CB. I have no doubt that you are sincere but you have a job to do. Part of that is a prog for ITV that will be cheap to make and bring in lots of viewers. Fine, go ahead but I would not help with information even if I had unreleased full colour 35mm footage, from a tripod mounted Panaflex with sync sound off a Nagra. (That's showing my age!)

Keep shopping and you will find what you want, I am sure.