PDA

View Full Version : IR Renewal

MIKECR
16th Jan 2008, 07:41
My MEIR is due for renewal shortly and im told I can do this is in the sim as its my first renewal. Just wondering what to expect, hopefuly not a full blown test profile as per initial skills test! Any ideas what the typical profile is? I will probably need a couple of hours to get back up to speed again. And also, does it have to be an examiner that does the renewal? Im thinking purely from a cost point of view.

Whopity
16th Jan 2008, 08:12
Provided that your existing IR is within 3 months of expiry, complete with an IR Renewal Examiner Section 3B of Appendix 3 to JAR-FCL 1.240 It is detailed in the Examiners record http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1157.pdf

If your IR has expired you do the same in an aeroplane.

MIKECR
16th Jan 2008, 08:50
Thanks for the info

18greens
16th Jan 2008, 20:14
The profile is pretty much the same as the initial. The big difference is its done by a human being rather than a CAA employee (who is saving the world from bad pilots).

Profile (you can imagine) is:
Takeoff, go somewhere else, and do all of the following in any seqeunce, fly on adf, fly on vor, do a precision approach, do a non precision approach (one must be procedural), engine failure on go around, UAs,limited panel, visual landing. Easy:ooh:

I wonder whether to bother with doing it in the simulator 'cos you need to fly an actual aeroplane to renew the ME. The cost of the ME renewal is almost the same as the IR ME renewal (takes about 10 minutes longer).

Last ME/IR renewalcost me £500 and the last sim renewal was £300 plus £400 for the ME renewal. Take your choice(its more fun doing it for real than sitting in the back of a hangar playing with cornflake boxes).

VFE
16th Jan 2008, 20:17
No LASORS here and it's late, I'm tired, can someone save me the time please? ;)

How long is it from initial IR issue until you can no longer renew it?

VFE.

MIKECR
16th Jan 2008, 20:35
18 Greens,

Thanks for the reply.

Assuming a Type Rating course coming up soon then all i need is the MEIR to be current rathar than the MEP rating as well. Im only thinking of the cost factor and trying to keep things to a minimum. I guess the cornflake boxes will have to do for just now!

ramshorn
16th Jan 2008, 21:48
I did 1 hour practice in the sim and another 1 hour for the test plus examiners fee. In all it cost around £350. Was told that if I had gone for it without practice first I would have got through. Get your notes out from your IR training and study and prepare properly for the NDB hold in particular.
Nothing like as stressful as the initial so relax!
Good luck.

18greens
20th Jan 2008, 10:06
MikeCR, Yes in that case you sound better off not bothering with the ME renewal. Can't you delay the renewal until the course appears its amazing how fast the year and the IR lapses.

Ramshorn, where did you do the renewal? £350 sounds good value for 2 hours in a sim and an examiners fee.

ramshorn
20th Jan 2008, 11:47
Did mine at Bristol flying centre