View Full Version : Southend EGMC - QXC

Norfolk Newbie
13th Jan 2008, 20:07
Weather permitting I will be embarking on my qualifying cross country next weekend.

The route will be Old Buck->Southend->Cambridge. I'm pretty happy with Cambridge having flown in there several times, however I have never been to Southend (by air or land).

Does anyone have any knowledge to impart with regard to flying into Southend from the North, what to expect how to spot it and any other tips you can think to give someone with 30 odd hours?

Thanks!

Foxy Loxy
13th Jan 2008, 20:16
From the north, try and ensure you have established 2 way comms by the time you cross the River Blackwater.

As for spotting it from the air, it should be visible by the time you reach the River Crouch (from that position you will most likely be given a right base join for 24, or downwind left for 06, traffic permitting).

Southend has a beacon on the north side. It also has a whopping great pier about 3 miles to the south!

I worked there as an ATCO until a year ago, so if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Good luck with the QXC. Be sure to tell us how it went!

Foxy

Cusco
13th Jan 2008, 20:26
Watch out for Stansted on the Southend-Cambridge leg!

Enjoy the trip

Seriously though: From the north you'll see a largish tributary (the Roach ) flowing into the Crouch (pretty wide and virtually at the mouth of the Crouch estuary):The Roach traced back upstream leads directly to Southend airport

Similarly, a straight line drawn inland from the pier following the pier direction goes straight to the airport.

So two lines on your chart: one up the Roach and one from the pier: where they intersect: that's Southend airport.

Bingo!

Try it.

Cusco :rolleyes:

Loose rivets
14th Jan 2008, 06:01
And the railway line agin' the end of 24. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of t'rain clearance. :}

Good luck.

Twiddle
14th Jan 2008, 11:02
And the old power station chimney.....

modelman
14th Jan 2008, 11:59
Try Google Earth for some good aerial views

PompeyPaul
14th Jan 2008, 12:36
Make sure that you call them ahead and tell them you are a STUDENT on your QXC. I phoned them and they said there was no need to telephone, just turn up. I got there 30mins later and was chastised for not telling them it was a QXC so I only got a "satisfactory" from them :(

Norfolk Newbie
14th Jan 2008, 12:57
Thank you everyone for your help and the speedy responses.

It sounds as though it should be reasonably easy to find with plenty of landmarks around, although I wouldn't have thought about the pier without the suggestions here!

I'll do my best to remember to plan a dog-leg on the Southend to Cambridge stage, although of course learning to fly in Norfolk I struggle with the concept of airspace that isn't class G ;)

All I need now is some decent weather next weekend.

I'll post back and let you know how it went.

Thanks again!

Cusco
14th Jan 2008, 14:51
I'll do my best to remember to plan a dog-leg on the Southend to Cambridge stage, although of course learning to fly in Norfolk I struggle with the concept of airspace that isn't class G

Dog leg via overhead Earl's Colne and Haverhill VRP will keep you clear of Stansted and Ridgewell gliding but only just unless you are below 1500 amsl when you have a bit more space.

You'll have to do a bit more than 'do my best to remember ' if you don't want to become a statistic very early in your flying career.

Either way, enjoy the flight and let us know how you get on

Cusco

Norfolk Newbie
14th Jan 2008, 21:39
Cusco, thank you for the concern, however for the record, the comment about avoiding Stanstead was entirely tongue in cheek (hence the ;)). I would also hope that my instructor wouldn't send me on my QXC if the sum total of my planning skills involved drawing a straight line from A->B.

I haven't planned the route yet, but it is my intention to stay well clear of Stanstead as I would much rather have some margin of error built into my naviagtion.

Now if someone could just organise for some good weather for me...

Foxy Loxy
14th Jan 2008, 21:47
It's always sunny in Sunny Saaaafend! ;) I'm guessing you'll be glued to weather forecasts for the next few days..... I'm just like that when I have a validation coming up!

What Pompey Paul said about booking in IS important - so make sure you say you're a QXC when you call! Still know the phone number off by heart if you need it, but it's not hard to find.

I will be unable to access the internet Wed-Sun eve, but I look forward to hearing about your trip. Best of luck! :ok:

Foxy

Norfolk Newbie
14th Jan 2008, 21:59
What Pompey Paul said about booking in IS important - so make sure you say you're a QXC when you call! Still know the phone number off by heart if you need it, but it's not hard to find.

After I read Pomey's post earlier today I noticed the requirement to let them know about a QXC in the AIP entry (which conveniently includes the telephone number), so I will definately make sure that I give them a call.

As for the weather, well thats Southend sorted, can you do anything about the overcast and rain that will probably be sitting above Old Buck on Saturday:ugh:

Foxy Loxy
14th Jan 2008, 22:09
As for the weather, well thats Southend sorted, can you do anything about the overcast and rain that will probably be sitting above Old Buck on Saturday

I wouldn't read too much into the forecast at this stage!

Foxy

Lister Noble
15th Jan 2008, 09:52
Norfolk Newbie,
I had the same route for my cross country a couple of years when I learned at Old Buck.
As already mentioned,do a dog leg from Southend to Cambridge.
Also if you are at all unsure of your position ask ATCO for a QDM,they would rather that than have you bumbling around in controlled airspace!
Good luck.
Lister:)