View Full Version : Situational awareness

belk78
13th Jan 2008, 11:21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BvgSS6kBdU

What do you guys think of this?
It really gives me the chills..

Right Way Up
13th Jan 2008, 11:45
Very low SA displayed by ATC & the United crew. However very high SA and assertiveness displayed by the USAir crew. Thank god somebody was on the ball.

fisbangwollop
13th Jan 2008, 12:56
Watched that on our TRM last year.......just as well someone was on the ball that day!!!!!!

13th Jan 2008, 13:13
Logical question would have been:
"What is your heading?".....or.."What direction are you pointing?".....or similar.
[from controller of 30+ years]

NorthSouth
14th Jan 2008, 13:18
I presume they were in LVPs with no SMR?

NS

zkdli
14th Jan 2008, 17:32
Correct NorthSouth:O

Red Four
14th Jan 2008, 17:43
Does anyone know if there was any follow up after this?

fireflybob
14th Jan 2008, 18:43
Looks like a very close one to me!

How long will it be before ASMI becomes a mandatory requirement when LVPs are in force?

JustaFew
16th Jan 2008, 17:43
When SMR becomes alot cheaper.
In the meantime, behind the follow-me vehicle...

belk78
16th Jan 2008, 21:37
I know the authorities might not see the numbers this way, but it is a lot cheaper than three or four hundred lives, is it not?

Charlie23
16th Jan 2008, 21:55
This should be an essential training video for both pilots and controllers during the LVP/Cat III lesson - it just puts the message accross in a nutshell:D Just think what would have happened if the pilot hadn't stepped in with a reality check!! I couldn't bare to watch it more than once as I found it painful - this will teach controllers more than any pile of lesson notes or manuals!

Tarq57
16th Jan 2008, 22:45
I've seen this three times at work, once during unit cyclic training, again on a TRM (like CRM) course, and on a human factors course.
Very easy to pass judgement after the event when you aren't the one sitting in the foggy tower with the mind made up. (But, man! Was her mind made up or what?)
If anybody wants the powerpoint (same as the vid), pm me. [edit] It's 6.34Mb

WhatUMean
19th Jan 2008, 04:43
its a great TRM training tool, there are so many "Human" factors to this, not just the technical failings of no SMR etc.

faraaz
19th Jan 2008, 23:48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cofPH1y9vuw&NR=1

Thought it might be of some interest...contains a longer audio version and a reasonably decently modelled makeup on Flight Simulator.

WhatUMean
20th Jan 2008, 14:06
Think the powerpoint with the video is still the best to see exacltly whats happening.

It really does have so many learning points, and fortunantly people got to learn without any actual disaster happening

Dream Land
20th Jan 2008, 14:48
Very low SA displayed by ATC & the United crewThe only person with LOW situational awareness was ATC, lol, totally clueless. :ugh:

RadarRambler
22nd Jan 2008, 00:40
Its interesting to see when all is going wrong, and she gets flustered, she turns to the one thing she knows what happening rather than sorting out what she doesnt, she tells the A/C thats virtually the only safe one on the apron to report his position, even though she already told him hold position inches off stand!

There so much more to this video than the lost pilot, it shows so much Human factors, it unfortunate that it ever occurred, but is such a great teaching aid to everyone, if you look into it more deeply.

Dream Land
22nd Jan 2008, 03:23
RR, yes I agree with your observations, she seems to get very irate at the pilots, like she's speaking to a bunch of disobedient children, very unprofessional.