PDA

View Full Version : Elpac Test

unknown00
12th Jan 2008, 10:23
Looking for useful webpages that might include sample tests :}. Any comments from those that have taken the test already are also welcome. :8

Wojtus
13th Jan 2008, 00:00
http://elpac.info/ has everything you need!

Good luck!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Feb 2008, 11:14
Just out of curiosity I did the sample Elpac test. I was unimpressed. Is it supposed to assist in determining potential controllers? The flights involved in the section I did were mainly commercial and in such cases the controllers would have details of the flights in front of them - and that's halfway to copying a callsign.

40+ years ago I did my initial medical at CME and failed the audiogram. I then had to sit in a room wearing a headset while they played various words to me with tremendous background noise to see if I could distinguish them. The noise was like the R/T one might expect from a fast piston aircraft with it's canopy open and the words were, for example, "test" and "best", "gosh" and "wash", etc, etc. Somehow I passed, but it bore no resemblance to the R/T I was use to as an expereinced controller!

If Elpac is used on candidates with absolutely no R/T experience, then IMHO luck will play a very significant part in whether they pass.

Someone please tell me I'm talking nonsense......

unknown00
1st Feb 2008, 13:45
Hello,
still waiting for elpac test so i am afraid i can answer to your question HD.
I think is for working ATCs and pilots, not to assist in determining potential controllers.
In airspaces and especially busy airports control zones where IFR, VFR and state/military traffic co-exist i don't think will be very helpful if mainly commercial traffic is involved in tests.
If i am not mistaking one of the aims of elpac test is to improve pilots/air traffic controllers communication/understanding.
Important to say that Elpac is not the only test used for this purpose and is not mandatory as far as i know.

Spitoon
1st Feb 2008, 16:26
As I understand it ELPAC is a test designed to assess the English language skills of controllers. Whilst, if it works, it will no doubt be used as part of selection testing for trainee controllers I believe its principal use is meant to be a method of achieving/demonstrating compliance with the 'new' ICAO language requirements.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Feb 2008, 18:16
OK - many thanks. I obviously misunderstood the motives of the test.