PDA

View Full Version : Flight docs

hetfield
11th Jan 2008, 18:17
Do you have a Frontal Zone Chart in your flight documentation?

Do you need it?

Cardinal
12th Jan 2008, 01:13
No, we don't have one.

No, I can't say I've ever though to myself, "Self, I could really use a frontal zone chart right about now." In the event a front is generating massive lifting and creating a long line of storms, you should already be planned around such, with a note in the remarks section at least, and when one comes upon said massive line it will be rather obvious.

TopBunk
12th Jan 2008, 08:52
Cardinal

From your details it suggests that you are from Denver ie pretty centrally placed in a continental land mass where fronts are less common that in NW Europe, albeit your weather can be ferocious, just less affected by surface frontal systems than a temperate maritime environment.

Here in Europe they have removed the surface frontal displays from the SIGWX charts which imho removes a very valuable source of surface information and as such is a BAD MOVE.

Here our frontal weather does not routinely produce your massive frontal lifting and tornados or widespread CB's to FL450, but the winds can easily vary from 270/15 to 330/30 and back to 210/15 in a couple of hours with frontal passages with the expected affects to flights.

So, no we don't have then any more and yes I think we should.

hetfield
12th Jan 2008, 19:01
@TopBunk

I fully agree with your comment. I don't understand what's behind the removal. Money?:(

Fly3
13th Jan 2008, 10:09
I also agree with topbunk. The loss of this information does nothing to enhance safe operations and the decision should be reversed as soon as possible.

Mäx Reverse
13th Jan 2008, 12:47
We also complained to our Dispatchers about the loss of information. Thats the official story:

In accordance with the implementation of ICAO Annex 3 Amendment 74 (effective 7th November 2007) the depiction of surface fronts, the inter-tropical convergence zone and cloud on SWM forecasts issued by WAFC London and WAFC Washington changed. Under Amendment 74 recommendations, for SWM forecast data, the WAFCs were no longer required to:
i) depict surface fronts;
ii) depict the inter-tropical convergence zone (ITCZ)s; and
iii) indicate non-CB cloud type or amount. Reference will therefore only be made to the degree of CB activity or in-cloud icing and turbulence.

As all worldwide available Aviation WX-Charts are produced by the UK Met Office, there is no short term solution to bring the information back into official documenation. However it is being reviewed, if any other publicly availiable WX-Charts containing frontal information can be delivered supllementing the standard briefing package.

Anyone wishing to congratulate ICAO for their wisdom may contact:

International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
European and North Atlantic (EUR/NAT) Office
3bis Villa Emile Bergerat,
F-92522 Neuilly sur Seine, Cedex, France.
Tel +33 1 46 41 85 85
Fax +33 1 46 41 85 00.
www.paris.icao.int/index.htm (http://www.paris.icao.int/index.htm).
[email protected]

Best Regard, MAX

tubby linton
13th Jan 2008, 18:43
Try these people:
http://131.54.120.150/index.cfm?section=SFCAnal

hetfield
14th Jan 2008, 09:42
That's great. Thx tubby linton.:)