PDA

View Full Version : Converting from UK to JAR CPL

Baron Von Mildred
11th Jan 2008, 17:15
There has probably been other threads on this, but putting things like JAR & CPL into the search function doesn't work (too short).

I am one of the dying breed with a UK CPL/fATPL. Now I understand that I need the 500hrs JAR multi crew to unfreeze it and get a JAR ATPL, but what happens if I get a JAR CPL. Can I still retain my UK CPL & ATPL credits and later re-apply for the JAR ATPL if & when I get the 500hrs?

Is a JAR CPL any use, since most jobs I see seem to ask for JAR ATPL?

Whopity
11th Jan 2008, 19:28
but what happens if I get a JAR CPL.You can exercise the privileges of it in aircraft registered in other JAA States, otherwise it won't make the slightest difference.

You can have both licences, a good idea if you want to retain your IMC privileges without having to do a renewal, but by about 2012 Mr EASA will take it all away and you'll have to have a JAA licence anyway.

Unless you need a JAA Licence stick with it.

BristolScout
7th Feb 2008, 14:10
This is an interesting topic, inasmuch as if one asks a question, the reply seems to be "What sort of answer was sir requiring?"

I came away from the Instructor Seminar I attended, last spring, with the understanding that one should hang on to the CAA licence unless there's a valid need to change - ie needing to exercise privileges on other JAA state's aircraft. My colleague, who has just completed his instructor course came away with a strong recommendation from his FIC Instructor that he should get the JAR licence straightaway. He's an ancient aviator like me, so unlikely to be leaping into foreign aeroplanes, so I'm a bit confused. I still feel comfortable with hanging on to my UK licence (ATPL)until the Europeans compel a change but can anyone give me a good reason to do otherwise?:confused:

Baron Von Mildred
7th Feb 2008, 14:29
I've done a bit more routing around and whopity seems to be correct, although I suspect that if you are in the process of applying for jobs having a JAR licence is presumeably going to help. (unless you limit yourself to UK)

If you are in a steady job there's probably no point in changing anything. I now have it from the CAA that ATPL exam credits for those with UK CPL (fATPL) will continue to be valid until at least 2012, possibly longer.

You can have two licences but will have to pay twice....

BristolScout
8th Feb 2008, 07:49
Baron.

I'd agree with all that. I suspect that the CAA PLD does not really have a definitive answer, since it's all tied up in the switchover protocols and getting a straight answer from JAA is like trying to plait sawdust. I can't see myself taking paid employment on foreign-registered aircraft so I'm sticking with the UK licence.

TheOddOne
8th Feb 2008, 15:45
I can't see myself taking paid employment on foreign-registered aircraft so I'm sticking with the UK licence.

Well, ditto, but my UK licence in this case is a BCPL, issued by passing the CPL exams and a CPL flight test (not a grandfather right job). I'm quite content with it at the moment but thinking ahead I might want to position myself a little better for any changeover to an EASA CPL or equivalent by migrating to a UK or JAR CPL.

Of course, it's all speculation at the moment but then this is a rumour site, after all!!

TheOddOne

BillieBob
8th Feb 2008, 16:29
....by migrating to a UK or JAR CPL.It will have to be a JAR CPL as the UK version is no longer issued [ANO Article 27].