PDA

View Full Version : UK SAR Harmonisation

Pages : 1 [2]

MyTarget
25th Mar 2008, 19:46
Then lets see who comes forward with his begging bowl looking for a job then! And yes there are ex RAF doing the job and Navy and Army too plus the pure civilian SAR trained guys/girls. All working well together.

25th Mar 2008, 19:59
Nah, I'm waiting for SARREMF to offer me a job when he realises there aren't that many current A2 SAR QHIs with 2000 hrs Lynx around:):) 400kgs eh - ah well duff gen from my sources then.

SARCO - I suspect I have a great deal more knowledge of the SARH procedure than you give me credit for - I just don't choose to post it in this forum.

Based on how long it has taken CHC to set up its operations under the interim contract, I think we will be waiting a lot longer than 2012 for miltary SAR to be subsumed into the next setup - the full handover is unlikely to be complete before 2017 even if the MoD agree to pay the 65 to 70% of the costs.

3D CAM
25th Mar 2008, 20:25
Crab

I guess no-one at your end has thought what you will do if the winchman is incapacitated,

I think you are probably right on that one!:hmm:
Multiple casualties??? We are talking about a 139 in SAR mode! You'll be lucky to get 2 bent divers in and on the floor, plus buddies, let alone multiples!!!:)
SARREMF
Don't spoil my fun. This the only thing that keeps me off the plonk. Also keeps me out of the way of "She who must be obeyed".
At the end of the day, nothing any of us say on here will make an iota of differance to the selection process. We will all just get on with it in 2012-2016, with whatever heap of c:mad:p we are given. My money is on secondhand 101's and 149's.:eek:
3D

Rescue1
25th Mar 2008, 20:52
Crab Quote:- 3D - as I understand it, there are significantly more ex-RAF peeps working for CHC now, both front and rear crew - so of course the operation must be better

Emmmm not sure where your getting your info from but I can only think of one RAF Pilot that has joined CHC We many more Ex-Navy Pilots that have joined and some Ex-German SAR pilots, I can't think of any rear Ex-RAF aircrew that have joined since CHC took over the contract but I might be wrong. Hope that helps :)

Also can you explain what you mean by this statement

"Based on how long it has taken CHC to set up its operations under the interim contract"

They are on schedule as agreed with the Coastguard when they won the Interim contract

branahuie
25th Mar 2008, 22:30
"They are on schedule as agreed with the Coastguard when the won the Interim contract"

The machines may be on schedule as far as being in position, but are they 'fit for purpose' yet? (not a dig at crew, by the way)

26th Mar 2008, 06:06
Rescue 1 - what I meant was that although the contract changed in 2007, the full implemenatation of that changeover has yet to be completed and this is just for 4 bases that were already MCA - therefore there will not be the instant change in 2012 that some seem to expect if the mil bases are to be taken over. I am led to believe that the MoD can't afford to pay the full 65-70% in 2012 anyway which is why the full handover wouldn't be completed until 2017. I was not having a dig at CHC (for a change):)

As for personnel, I know of 2 recent RAF pilots on the S92 and 3 ex RAF winchmen who have since become the rearcrew trainers because they are so well qualified (and top chaps to boot).

3D - you only need 2 casualties requring CPR to overload and tire winch op and winchman if there is any distance to hospital, therefore the co would be very useful. If your winchop is winchopping and your winchman is on the deck/land/sea and the first casualty needs urgent treatment, you will need the co again. I know plenty of pilots who have had to venture aft of the cockpit bulkhead in order to help out.

Wiretensioner
26th Mar 2008, 08:41
Crab

Think you will find the ex-RAF rearcrew you talk about are all with the Transition team. As far as I am aware there is only one ex-RAF crewman with CHC and he came from Bristows but despite that he is an alround good guy! Know him well:cool:

bigglesbutler
26th Mar 2008, 09:02
Quote wiretensioner:

good guy! Know him well

Ill second that. :ok:

SARREMF
26th Mar 2008, 09:48
Damn. Damn. Damn! Got to agree with Crabb in one area - having had to go down the back and help a casualty myself once [and send the co-pilot down the back a couple of times] - you do need access to the rear so to speak!

So, its lucky that you can do this on all the types offered for SAR-H or Interim by ALL the OEM's.

Give you a job Crabb? I dont know what you mean!

3D CAM
26th Mar 2008, 12:23
Crab.
Co pilot in the back, agreed, occasionally required.(bloody hell, two of us agreeing with Crab!:uhoh:)
Not sure I would like to climb though the gap in a 139 though!
3D

NRDK
26th Mar 2008, 12:42
Cojoe hopping into the back..only in extraordinary circumstances. BTDT. Albeit very unlikely, will be discussed amongst the crew no doubt and can be carried out in the UK SAR 139. Not agreeing with Crab BTW:8. Don’t need to clutch at straws.:ok:

26th Mar 2008, 13:37
Wiretensioner - I think they started with the transition team but I was given to understand that 3 ex-RAF winchmen (one a QHCI) are being put into trainers/standards jobs for CHC in UK because of their paramedic skills.

As for pilots, there is one who started on transition and is now in management (I believe), one who is a line pilot on S92 and a third who is a TRE on S92.

Maybe they have kept their ancestry a secret to avoid being tainted by association with me:E

Clever Richard
26th Mar 2008, 16:21
It's good to see Pprune becoming a self-feeding organism. Lost at Sea posts something contentious, is asked to provide substantiating evidence and proceeds to quote (surprise, surprise totally inaccurate) Pprune posts.

Marvellous, we don't need the outside world!:D

Lost at Sea
26th Mar 2008, 18:14
Lost at Sea posts something contentious, is asked to provide substantiating evidence and proceeds to quote (surprise, surprise totally inaccurate) Pprune posts.

Yeah well.... that's what happens when you quote Crab! :p

And as Crab himself said (standby for another totally inaccurate post)....

I have a great deal more knowledge of the SARH procedure than you give me credit for

Therefore I put it to you that given his own testimony Crab is a self confessed authority on SAR-H and there is no further need for any additional evidence. I rest my case your honour.

26th Mar 2008, 19:03
Oh dear Lost at Sea - if your only defence is that my posts (which you selectively quoted and distorted) are poor then you really are lost at sea;)

Your logic would impress a 4 year old - possibly - but knowing a bit about a subject does not make one a self-confessed authority on it - never mind, the other kids in the playground will be awestruck at your intellectual prowess:)

Lost at Sea
26th Mar 2008, 19:26
Okay just to further infuriate Clever Richard…. I shall now answer Crab’s points by quoting ……. You guessed it, Crab! :ok:

Crab said

The RAF did assist with the interim contract but only on a consultancy basis

Crab’s reply

“due to the amount of involvement the RAF had in the process” and

“thanks to the involvement of the MoD the service provided will be superior”

Crab said

Surely not - the super-duper all singing and dancing SAR helicopter with less capability than the old one

Crab's reply

The CHC operation seems better than the Bristow's one (as I said), new aircraft being a significant part of that.

Crab said

I seem to remember that the S 92 was supposed to bring much vaunted extra capability to UK SAR

As I understand it, the MCA were offered the satphone option and jumped at it since it was new and, in theory, improved technology. However, the compatability with what presently exists at the ARRCK was either assumed or ignored.

Crabs reply

the MoD were asked for guidance and expertise in examining the interim contract.

And finally Crab says….

my posts are poor :D:D:D

(OK that one was distorted!!!)

Actually I’m beginning to completely ignore other peoples opinions and seem to be gaining an unhealthy disrespect for all civilians it might be time to stop reading Crabs postings….. Long live the RAF!!! Definitely time to go.;) ;) ;)

Bootneck
26th Mar 2008, 19:45
History, just to make Crab smile, and point out I'm not totally averse to Crustacea: This humble numb nuts was trained to winch by a Crab, a man I have the greatest respect for.
The initial civvy offshore SAR contract with Bell 212s fitted with FLIR etc was established by a Crab, yet another man whose company I enjoy. The bid for the Sumburgh and Stornoway operations was therefore a relatively simple equipment conversion to the S61; try telling that to the engineers. The background co-ordination preparatory work was immense.

As we are quoting ancient posts, may I quote from one of mine?

"Crab, stay in a blue suit, make lots of nasty civvy helicopter drivers and winch ops happy." ;)

Finally.
Yomp Bootneck
Sail Navy
Eat Crab

MyTarget
26th Mar 2008, 19:49
As for pilots, there is one who started on transition and is now in management (I believe), one who is a line pilot on S92 and a third who is a TRE on S92.

Yes.....No............Not yet.

Sven Sixtoo
26th Mar 2008, 20:52
Hi all

I understand that if you watch channel 5 in about 11 minutes time you will get a specific example.

I may be wrong on the scheduling - I'm in South Africa on leave, but I'm told it's called "Britain's Bravest" and has had some RAF SAR wank3r on the teaser for the last week or so.

If he said anything out of order could someone please let me know so I can decide whether to come home or not.

Sven

Senior Pilot
26th Mar 2008, 21:21
http://www.navy.dnd.ca/cms_images/ship_site_images/ship_gallery/336/DSC_0064_l-2.jpg

I think we've had enough bashing the RAF, thanks. Some of these posts are as close to personal insults as I'm going to allow: play the ball, not the man.

No more :=

Bootneck
26th Mar 2008, 21:39
You're no fun anymore. :):):):):):)

:ok:

Bertie Thruster
26th Mar 2008, 23:05
Senior Pilot Sir; I'm not entirely sure, but from Svens edit isn't he intimating he's talking about himself?

Lost at Sea
26th Mar 2008, 23:44
And just for the record I wasn't insulted by anything Crab said!!!! ;) ;) ;)
:ok:

27th Mar 2008, 06:36
To misquote or paraphrase someone else - 'There are 2 types of people in the world - RAF and those that wish they were RAF' ;)

Don't get too upset SP it's only banter - I think Lost at Sea already works for the Daily Mail;)

TTT - the co might be called to get out of his seat in many situations; sometimes to assist the rearcrew in manhandling a casualty into the aircraft (if on the ground) or to take out more medical kit if both rearcrew are treating casualties (again on the ground), in the air it would most likely be to assist in CPR (which is bloody tiring) or, in extremis, to act as winchman or winchop if one or other is injured or incapacitated in some way. My first job as a co involved me helping the rearcrew put a rigor mortised stiff into a body bag and carrying it to the aircraft!

Bootneck
27th Mar 2008, 08:02
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

My first job as a co involved me helping the rearcrew put a rigor mortised stiff into a body bag and carrying it to the aircraft!

So, the Chief of the Airstaff visits SAR units. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

I don't believe this, it has to be a photoshop stunt.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/26/nbikini126.xml

leopold bloom
27th Mar 2008, 09:29
If i'm reading your posts correctly, you're stating that "occasionally" and/ or "exceptionally" the P2 has been sent into the back to lend a hand, so....

Is this an acceptable practice, an SOP etc?

Is it purely a military acceptance or is it common with civvie SAR too?

Under what stages of the flight is this likely to be done?

What kind of help is the P2 providing?

Training sortie: Captain in LHS, Co in RHS, Winchman on the ground at base of cliff acting as target; Winchman trips,falls, breaks leg. Tide is coming in, nowhere to land, no time to swap seats, no time to get seconds airborne. Capt jumps out of seat, puts on Bosuns chair, gets winched down and rescues winchman. You couldn't make it up. Are you out there Ox?:)

Sandy Toad
27th Mar 2008, 09:44
Crab Not easy to move from front to back in 139, however if you can move sideways......;)
Oops sorry! Knuckles wrapped.:ouch:

Aser
27th Mar 2008, 09:52
:D:D:D

http://www.shephard.co.uk/Assets/Images/Rotorhub/2008/Q1%20Jan-Mar/sar2008.jpg

Royal Air Force wins Defence Helicopter SAR 2008 Award for Riverdance Ferry Rescue

The Defence Helicopter SAR Award is an annual honour bestowed to a Search and Rescue helicopter crew that has performed an outstanding rescue over the 12 months between award dates.

In 2007, the Maryland State Police Aviation Command took the award for the rescue of workers unable to climb down from a 1,000 foot smokestack…that was on fire.

This year, the Royal Air Force’s (RAF) SAR helicopter crew Rescue 122 were presented with the SAR 2006 Award at the SAR conference and exhibition, which was held in Bournemouth, UK in March.

Rescue 122 merited the SAR Award through their actions on the night of 31 January, 2008, in rescuing the majority of the crew of the Ferry Riverdance that was powerless and in danger of capsizing in terrible weather of the UK’s western coast.

The following outline, prepared by the RAF, best explains the circumstances of that evening:

“On the 31 January 2008, Flt Lt Lee Turner (Operational Captain), Flt Lt Giles Ratcliffe (Co-pilot), Sgt John Stevens (Radar/Winch Operator) and MACR Rich Taylor (Paramedic Winchman) were the duty SAR helicopter crew (Rescue 122) based at C Flight, 22 Squadron RAF Valley. At 2016 hrs, Rescue 122 was called to the aid of 23 persons on board the Ferry Riverdance that had lost all power and was in severe difficulties 10 nautical miles north west of Blackpool. Weather conditions on scene were atrocious with low cloud, storm force winds (50 gusting to 70 knots) causing severe turbulence and a sea state of 7 with an associated 10 metre swell. Light levels on scene were also poor meaning that even with night vision goggles the crew were struggling to maintain a visual horizon and references.

Rescue 122 arrived on scene at 2035 hrs and found the Riverdance cross wind, side on to the sea swell and listing between 45 and 60 degrees to her port. The battering of the waves against the slab sided ferry and associated rolling and surfing in the swell meant that on occasion the port bridge wing was dipping into the water and she was at significant risk of capsizing. Riverdance’s Captain had moved all 23 persons on board into the relative safety of the bridge and was requesting the immediate rescue of non essential personnel. After a detailed reconnaissance, the crew decided that the safest option was to winch the passengers from the ferry’s starboard bridge wing and attempts began.

Unfortunately, the strength of the wind and poor visual references meant that this option was technically extremely demanding. Despite some outstanding flying by Flt Lt Turner and exceptional winch operating by Sgt Stevens their numerous attempts to deliver the winchman over the next 30 minutes were unsuccessful. An even riskier option then had to be considered which would involve winching the passengers from the port bridge wing on the low side of the vessel.

One of the ferry crew was tied on to a rope and lowered from the wheelhouse onto the steep deck. Through skilful flying, accurate winch operating and considerable courage from the winchman a rope high-line was eventually delivered to the crew. The listing and violent motion of the Riverdance meant that the crew member was unable to keep hold of the high-line and the crew of Rescue 122 then had to repeat the process, this time managing to deliver the winchman to the deck. Flt Lt Turner was then required to maintain an accurate hover close to the vessel for an extended period of time which required significant power changes and therefore immense concentration.

Conditions on deck were appalling and MACR Taylor had to make his way up and down the steep listing deck whilst being battered by waves to organise the evacuation of the passengers and crew. Throughout this whole process MACR Taylor was not secured to the aircraft and at considerable risk of falling from the ferry; worse still, he would have undoubtedly been killed had the ferry capsized. The crew then began the transfer of casualties and managed to lift a total of eight from the vessel including the recovery of MACR Taylor as a triple lift. During this process the challenging conditions snapped the high-line and yet again Flt Lt Turner and Sgt Stevens were required to re-establish contact with the vessel; this was an especially impressive piece of winch operating from Sgt Stevens as the winchman was on board the Riverdance and therefore unable to offer assistance with the high line. He also had to manage multiple casualties, who were gripped with fear and in shock, to ensure their safety once on board the aircraft whilst maintaining constant high line contact with the vessel. Also, throughout this whole sortie, the input and support offered by the co-pilot Flt Lt Ratcliffe should not be underestimated and without his efforts the rest of the crew would be unable to carry out their functions. He remained calm and collected whilst co-ordinating all aspects of the rescue and communicated with multiple agencies including the captain of Riverdance.

Rescue 122 then flew to Blackpool to drop the passengers, refuel and shut down to wait for further tasking. Shortly afterwards the ferry unexpectedly ran aground on a sandbank and Rescue 177, which had arrived on scene from Prestwick, lifted a further six crew. Left on board were nine essential crew who were going to attempt to re-float the stricken vessel.

At 0415, Rescue 122 was again scrambled to the Riverdance as the vessel was now stranded on a sandbank and with the vessels cargo moving freely on the deck was expected to capsize. Despite already coping with the previous ordeal, by using the same techniques the crew went through the process of safely recovering the remaining nine crewmen. Despite the fact that the vessel was a little more stable the crew yet again had to work extremely hard as the ferry was still rolling and surfing. At one stage, the sudden and unexpected motion of the ferry endangered the aircraft and it was the lighting quick reaction of Sgt Stevens who called an immediate climb that prevented a disaster. MACR Taylor stayed on Riverdance until the last lift when he along with the Captain abandoned the vessel to her fate. The remaining casualties were all dropped at Blackpool Airport safe and well and Rescue 122 returned to base to resume SAR Standby.”

As a footnote to this rescue it should not be forgotten that by 2012, under the SAR-H Programme, the RAF and Royal Navy (Rescue 177) will cease to be responsible for the provision of search and rescue helicopter services along the UK’s coastline. This will instead by provided by a commercial organisation, the winner of the current IPT competition. The eventual winners will have a legacy to maintain.

- Andrew Drwiega

27th Mar 2008, 11:19
That's mah boys:ok:

Rich Taylor said it was the scariest job he's ever done which is saying something!

Bootneck
27th Mar 2008, 12:29
Thou shalt not bask in the light of thine oppos deeds!

Psalm 13. ;)

(Well done to them)

MyTarget
27th Mar 2008, 16:47
But that's how these military types get OBE's! For Other Bugger's Efforts;)

Spanish Waltzer
27th Mar 2008, 19:30
As these are anonymous forums ....etc.... In fact the press may use it, or the unscrupulous, to elicit certain reactions.

Well why dont we use this to our advantage??

If its true that the industry contributors to the recent SAR conference were gagged about 2012 why hasn't the press picked up on the concerns that are being vocalised so openly here? the SAR product - whether it be RAF, MCA or RN is regularly in the news showing off deeds of great heroism. Therefore the media obviously think SAR stories sell papers etc. I think joe public might be interested to know what the future holds. That 4 years away from the transition starting there is such uncertainty about it all that a leading UK SAR conference didn't want to go there. Joe doesn't need to know all the nitty gritty facts, just enough for them to get a sniff that all may not be going according to plan. Interestingly one of the local rags down south which featured an item about the 139s arriving at Lee commented that the reduction in aircraft size was not to be worried about as there were going to be 2 139s based at Lee. Factually correct but I would suggest a tad misleading...

Bertie Thruster
28th Mar 2008, 12:21
Bertie is turned away; he had missed the dress code!

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i97/nmhsu/DSC00220.jpg

Later he got his own back........

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i97/nmhsu/DSC00221-1.jpg

No Vote Joe
28th Mar 2008, 16:57
Training sortie: Captain in LHS, Co in RHS, Winchman on the ground at base of cliff acting as target; Winchman trips,falls, breaks leg. Tide is coming in, nowhere to land, no time to swap seats, no time to get seconds airborne. Capt jumps out of seat, puts on Bosuns chair, gets winched down and rescues winchman. You couldn't make it up. Are you out there Ox?:)

And resulted in a piece of Flamborough Head being renamed!! ;)

SARREMF
29th Mar 2008, 09:46
Of course I should have remembered!

It was only on a search around that area one night that I really studied the OS map of the cliffs, and becoming very puzzled, asked the question why "Eric's Rock" had another name attached to it! It was then that someone explained what had happened and why the Flight had renamed it!

Hope the man in question is fit and well and, I guess, enjoying retirement?

SARREMF

serf
29th Mar 2008, 10:31
It said in the Riverdance rescue blurb that the RAF and Navy would cease to be responsible by 2012............how come they were called at 2016 for that rescue?

Vie sans frontieres
29th Mar 2008, 20:52
Boom boom. Basil Brush couldn't have told it better.

No Vote Joe
30th Mar 2008, 16:37
Of course I should have remembered!

It was only on a search around that area one night that I really studied the OS map of the cliffs, and becoming very puzzled, asked the question why "Eric's Rock" had another name attached to it! It was then that someone explained what had happened and why the Flight had renamed it!

Hope the man in question is fit and well and, I guess, enjoying retirement?

SARREMF

Last time I heard (about as year ago) he was a civvy teaching comms to the baby WSOps at Cranners!

Bertie Thruster
3rd Apr 2008, 16:18
In the interests of harmony............................

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i97/nmhsu/geoscampixjune07082-1.jpg

Bertie Thruster
8th Apr 2008, 05:50
Will the military pilots on SAR-H have to hold licences?

Or will the civilian pilots on SAR-H not have to hold licences?

Shouldn't there now be an exchange tour put in place with the UK MCA/contractor for a UK Mil SAR pilot? (To test the SAR-H water, so to speak)

How does SARTU manage at the moment, mil/civ wise?

Any one on PPRUNE allowed to answer these questions? It all seems very sensitive in SAR-H world at the moment!!

Tallsar
8th Apr 2008, 09:27
Hi BT
There is a line of discussion on this topic on the other SAR thread running on this Rotorhead section - perhaps it would be better to follow through on that one.
As to your questions - the Interim does not make room (unless I suggest CHC are prepared to consider it seperately) for any mil exchange aircrew - good idea perhaps but too late timing wise - I suspect a contract amendment will be required - probably all too difficult for several reasons at this stage of that particular programme.
As for mil aircrew having civ licences - will no doubt depend on which type of registration the bidders choose to operate the service under. I feel sure there will be much discussion going on about this topic within botht the bidders and the SAR-H customer (policy) community. Will also depend on EASA's view of mil pilots/ac commanders operating the UK SAR service too no doubt.
Cheers

Bertie Thruster
8th Apr 2008, 14:23
Thanks Tallsar.

I've also had a chance today to read Andrew Drwiegas editorial on this matter, in the latest "Defence Helicopter". (Mar/Apr 08)

He has summed up the wrinkles in SAR-H most eloquently.

8th Apr 2008, 18:20
Bertie - the easiest solution is for the aircraft to be COMR (contractor owned and military registered like 84 Sqn and DHFS) so that mil and civ crews can both operate it to mil limits (getting round the civ NVG regs issues) and meaning that no licences are required for mil crews (or in theory for civ).

Oldlae
8th Apr 2008, 20:57
Crab
I think that COMR aircraft are flown iaw the civil Flight Manual, This allows the aircraft to return to civil use after the end of contract, after all, these a/c should not be flown in combat where mil limits might be essential. Mil reg allows the mil and civil pilots to fly them without civil licences. As I understand it COMR a/c have their Certificate of Airworthiness renewed at the relevant period when they revert to their civil reg for a short period whilst the paperwork is processed.

9th Apr 2008, 07:40
Oldlae - but the weather and operational limits would be those of the military therefore civ crews could fly low level iaw JSPs and NVG ops to the same limits as mil. Since the RFM is probably less restrictive than any military release to service there is no problem complying with that and SAR aircraft won't be doing combat anyway.

Bertie Thruster
9th Apr 2008, 11:57
So a potential manning problem then for the SAR-H IPT:

Contractor with Civ reg SAR; Mil pilots not licenced to fly them. In any case large discrepancy mil/civ 'offshore' salaries (thanks BALPA!). Also no such thing as a mil 'co-pilot' salary wise!

COMR SAR; Potential big pay cut for the civ pilots, to get an 'even playing field' salary-wise mil/civ. Then no maintainance of their civ licences, (so problems if they want to leave!) ...and still the mil 'co-pilot' salary discrepancy thing to sort out. Not to mention pay for training quals!

10th Apr 2008, 08:33
Bertie - the SARH IPT only have to decide which is the best bid for the project - all those manning/pay issues will be for the contractor to sort out.

The military in their wisdom think that 66 is the right number of mil pers to fulfill our requirements which, when you take the Falklands into consideration, leaves no more than 2 Mil SAR flights in UK so probably unlikely to be mixed crews due to all the reasons you put forward and many more.

Spanish Waltzer
10th Apr 2008, 10:32
so do we guess culdrose for the navy and valley for the air force and everywhere else goes civ?????

Tallsar
10th Apr 2008, 11:48
Hi guys

2 points re the above discussion:

First - COMR is now MRCA (no not Must Replace Canberra Again (for those of you old enough to remember!)) Military Registered Commercially operated Aircraft (note silent o).

Second - While under COMR (MRCA) mil pilots have been hitherto allowed to fly with no civ licences - the ANO that permits this may becoming under review by EASA - such exemptions do not fit with their pan european standardisation approach of licensing. How it will pan out is clearly a concern to any company operating such a service at present or in the future.

Finally - additonal points! -- not sure why we work out that mixed crewing can't happen or why there will only be 2 mil bases - why has there to be any mil SAR bases as such?

Cheers - have fun - those of you still flying on real SAR!!

SARREMF
11th Apr 2008, 17:46
Tall Sar

Not sure your point 2 is actually totaly correct. Article 26 [its either article 8 para 26 or article 26 para 8 I forget!] refers to military pilots flying G-reg aircraft without licenses not the other way round [ala Barkston Heath]. So, if the ac is mil registered this ANO is not being used, its replaced with the JSP's. Thus MRCA [Multirole Combat Aircraft - its another age thing albeit later than your version!] could be utilised [perhaps one of the debates you refer to?].

Oldlae and Crabb. Your both right. The aircraft is flown to the civil flight manual [RFM] but OPERATED to the military limits - operational limits not aircraft limits 2 entirely different things.

B.T. Salary differences. This already occurs in pretty much all of the current COMR contracts. Military on one pay scale and civil pilots on another. No one said life was fair! As to SAR_H, well that might well require a bit of market force adjustment in a vertical direction. " hello Mr Contractor, yes I can come fly for you but I earn this much and have a license. If I come work for you I dont want to drop my pay! NO, you wont pay that much, ok i will go elsewhere! Ring Ring Whats that you will pay me that much! Deal"

Only time will tell on all these points!

Thomas coupling
11th Apr 2008, 20:58
It's started already:
FBH are looking for QHI SAR qual'd drivers to fly the AW139 at Valley for £65000. I presume this is under mil flying regs (no licence?).
Middle east is looking for exactly the same (RN or RAF drivers only, both must be SAR and QHI) for £65000 tax free plus all the trimmings.
Methinks there is going to be some serious musical chairs over the next few months as existing qualified pilots (both in and out of the military) review their circumstances.
And this is all before SAR-H recruitment kicks off!!!
Let the fun begin.:E

Bertie Thruster
11th Apr 2008, 21:27
I think they will need to try 70-75k before any serious 'reviewing' takes place!