PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Work

jb5000
11th Jan 2008, 13:15
Hi everyone,

Hope you all had a good new year and are enjoying the 'wonderful' January weather!

To keep things to the point I've recently finished my flying training and I've got a flying job that starts on the 24th of March.

I have no plans between now and then and I am searching for something that would be interesting and at least related to aviation!

Does anyone know if any ATC positions in and around London might accept a willing volunteer for a couple of months to gain an invaluable insight into how things work on the other side? To be honest I don't even mind whether I get paid or not.

I appreciate that it is a bit of a long shot but any help you could give would be great!

Thanks

James

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Jan 2008, 17:53
You must surely appreciate that there are no "voluntary" jobs in real ATC any more than there are such positions in flying.

Your only chance is work at a small airfield - try contacting management at Elstree, Denham, Fairoaks and such places but I doubt you'll get much response especially at this time of the year.

Good luck with your career in flying.

Dan Dare
11th Jan 2008, 21:48
jb,

Well done getting a job offer so quickly! I can't offer you a temporary job and although I have had temporary ops jobs in the summer, I do not rate your chances in aviation at this time of year.

As an ATCO I am always keen that pilots should see how things look at the other side of the radio and commed you for your enthusiasm. If you get the chance I would highly recommend trip to Swanwick, but fear that you may only be able to do this as an official trip through your company (I would be glad to be wrong). I doubt that your local airfield woud turn you away if you wanted to spend a day or two gaining an insight into ATC though. I often have pilots and wannabees watching my work and hope they go away with some idea of how the system works.

Happy to help with a tower visit - PM me if you're interested.