PDA

View Full Version : What to say?

caucatc
11th Jan 2008, 12:13
What do you usually say when pilots report "localizer established" ?Sometimes I say"roger ,continue approach" ,sometimes I only say"continue" .
What do you usually say ?

kontrolor
11th Jan 2008, 14:15
I just tell them to contact tower. If they are local pilots, I even don't tell them the freq (local pilots=those I recognise by the voice)

SINGAPURCANAC
11th Jan 2008, 14:28
In radar app, I don't use phrase "Report loc(ILS) est", because I "see" a/c and its movement , so once it is on ILS and stabilized :" Contact TWR at..."
In PROC , after LOC(ILS) est,Report OM, or " Clear to land" , depends on current situation.
I know that some so called experts and instructors will say that it is not enough,but for me it is OK because different pilots from different companies, at different airports, never complain about.

SM4 Pirate
12th Jan 2008, 03:55
From our books

When a pilot reports established on the final approach path of a pilot interpreted approach:

a) advise the pilot of the aircraft's distance to touchdown; and

b) instruct the pilot to transfer to the tower frequency.

If flying under their own nav to the aid; i.e. following a STAR or in a proc environment, it would change a bit; outside a surveillance area giving touch-miles is a bit tough.

continue approach, call the tower, clear to land, all valid responses IMHO, in different circumstances.

Canoehead
12th Jan 2008, 04:08
It has to be one of the most useless, outdated and plain anal bits of phraseology/sop around today.To answer the original question, I never ask anyone to 'report established' (I can see that on my screen!) :eek: :ugh:If a pilot does report on his own, I just ignore him.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
12th Jan 2008, 07:01
Canoehead... not particularly wise, if I might say so. I've seen aircraft appararently line-up on the localiser and then head off to one side due to a problem. In my book it's essential to get confirmation from the pilot that he is properly established.

Dream Land
12th Jan 2008, 07:23
In my book it's essential to get confirmation from the pilot that he is properly established Your book wouldn't fly in the states, none of that "report established" nonsense is required or desired, just my thoughts. Given the dog leg turn with instructions to intercept the ILS RWY XX, cleared for approach is plenty.

prowler
12th Jan 2008, 09:26
Your book wouldn't fly in the states

Perhaps in the States 'one' complies to FAA Rules & Regs...

The way we do it, under ICAO Rules & Regs, BEFORE handoff to Tower. one must advise the pilot the Distance from Touchdown & include the NEXT Unit's Frequency...

Bull**** or crap, I think it necessary info, as HEATHROW DIRECTOR pointed out, me too, have seen too many 'glitches' happen by certain operators....:rolleyes:

12th Jan 2008, 09:40
Agree with HD... I don't believe you can authorise descent on the ILS until you know traffic is loc established as it is the loc that keeps traffic within the terrain safe area.

Spitoon
12th Jan 2008, 09:44
Interesting to see so many varied responses, based - I guess - on each individual's personal experience.

I tend towards Heathrow Director's viewpoint but, for some reason, this topic has always been a bit of an issue in the UK. There are things that can go wrong in this area of ATC/flight operation and I feel that the UK procedures mitigate the associated risks better than some of the alternatives mentioned. One simple example is when you may choose to vector an aircraft through the LLZ at some point before you want it to establish - some of the procedures offered in this thread may make this a bit hit and miss!

FWIW, ICAO PANS-ATM says '8.9.4.1 An aircraft vectored to intercept a pilot-interpreted final approach aid shall be instructed to report when established on the final approach track. Clearance for the approach should be issued prior to when the aircraft reports established, unless circumstances preclude the issuance of the clearance at such time. Vectoring will normally terminate at the time the aircraft leaves the last assigned heading to intercept the final approach track.' Other ICAO docs, notably the Manual of Radiotelephony, offer a variety of responses that may be appropriate depending on the circumstances so it seems that there is no absolute correct answer to the original question.

Dream Land
12th Jan 2008, 12:31
Well I understand your points of view because you are from the UK and it's the way you have been doing it, works fine. Try to understand how many safe operations happen every year across the pond without such phraseology, appears not to be a problem.

GunkyTom
12th Jan 2008, 12:47
:confused: I thought the new recommended phraseology is purposely designed so we don't need an established report before authorising descent-ie "Turn L/R heading ......deg, when established localisor, descend on ILS" All in one transmission so a/c don't get late descent

MaxReheat
12th Jan 2008, 13:14
Correct - still a lot of 'dinos' lurking in the UK's ATC system. If I don't get the localiser or the glide I'll tell you.

Track Coastal
12th Jan 2008, 13:46
Try to understand how many safe operations happen every year across the pond without such phraseology, appears not to be a problem.
Spot on!! Of the 30 busiest airports in the world, 22 are in the USA, they must be doing something right.

http://www.airports.org/cda/aci_common/display/main/aci_content07_c.jsp?zn=aci&cp=1-5-54-57_666_2__

Spitoon
12th Jan 2008, 14:25
Try to understand how many safe operations happen every year across the pond without such phraseology....Don't disagree. But I'm interested to know how often things don't go as expected.

SINGAPURCANAC
12th Jan 2008, 15:34
Stand by,stand by,
If I tell to a/c: Cleared ILS APP RWY XX,
It means that a/c is clear to make full ILS APP until Missed app point, or
If I died yesterday, I wouldn't know that :Cleared ILS APP RWY XX,means only to intercept LOC, not to intercept GP and so on...
So when a/c is cleared for ILS , and afterwards a/c do not follow GP,only follows LOC,it is time to write down safety report to my safety officer because pilot ommits to follow ATC instruction.
I will accept any correction,upon reference.

Jerricho
12th Jan 2008, 16:20
If I don't get the localiser or the glide I'll tell you.

A-bloody-men to that :ok:

Having worked with the phraseology on both sides of the pond, I personally view the "Report LOC established", then after the report "descend on the ILS/Glide Path" as superfluous. Obtaining "confirmation" is all fine and good, but what if it's a false localiser capture? The topic hasn't come up (yet) of "if someone is cleared for an approach, what if they descend straight down minimums/procedure altitude/whatever and not with the glide path". This comes up every so often, and we all usually agree to disagree, or concur there needs to be global conformity.

We don't have quite the same heli-lanes here in YWG ( ;) ), but there are times where I've cleared an a/c for an approach with traffic below, and stipulated "descend with the glide, traffic........."

BOAC
12th Jan 2008, 16:45
While we are there - what does the ATC bible say about "Loc established" with the new clearance "when established localiser, descend on ILS" - is it still a required call?

HHI OPS
12th Jan 2008, 17:41
Correct me if I am wrong, but does THIS not depend on each country?
In UK you clear first the LOC only, and after the pilot report, that he is establish, you give him the clearance to descend on the ILS.

Further, in Germany, especially on the busy airports like Frankfurt or Munich, they often clear them also only for the LOC and afterwards they will be cleared to leave the present altitude with the ILS.

And in the Netherlands, at Schiphol, you dont get any ILS in your approach clearance. Its just " DLHXXX, clerared Approach RWY 18R".

Coming back to the question: Roger is the shortest and easiest one :)

MaxReheat
12th Jan 2008, 18:12
'While we are there - what does the ATC bible say about "Loc established" with the new clearance "when established localiser, descend on ILS" - is it still a required call?'

In the UK the new ILS procedure makes no requirement for a localiser established report. ATC should give a closing heading followed by '"when established localiser, descend on ILS". Period.

Some UK ATCOs have embraced the new procedure superbly, others haven't (or won't) and some still mix and match. Sounds like a job for the standardisation teams!

BOAC
12th Jan 2008, 18:45
That is my guess too, but what is your reference for the statement?

Data Dad
12th Jan 2008, 18:48
Max Reheat - you are not entirely correct.....

From the ATSIN :

4.2 Exceptions. Where a controller deems it necessary, for traffic separation purposes, to ensure that an aircraft joining the ILS does not commence descent until specifically cleared by the controller, the following alternative form of phraseology may be used:
a. ATC Instruction:
(Callsign and vectoring instructions as at present)
followed by
“……..report established on localiser, maintain (level )”

Have to use it where Intercept is beyond protected range of Glidepath, which for our traffic depending on runway can be 75% or more of the inbounds.

DD

BOAC
13th Jan 2008, 16:13
Today at LGW produced
"Left heading 290, report established on the loc. When established descend with the glide path" (or similar!) which seems to cover most eventualities, if somehwat long-winded.

belk78
13th Jan 2008, 18:24
I might be wrong, since i am just a trainee, but i thought that "cleared for ils rwy XX" meant the acft was cleared to intercept and follow the localizer, then the glide path and descend until the landing (when cleared from twr) or MAP, as stated in the proper chart. Do you mean it is necessary another clearance to descend when established?. It makes no sense to me.

SINGAPURCANAC
13th Jan 2008, 18:31
@belk 78,
you are right but here we have another problem.
Some CAA , ANSPs have different rules, for some reasons and that is the difference. They have paper where is written that you have to clear a/c to LOC only, then another transmision for GP descent.
If someone is first and better it doesn't mean that he is always right!

slatch
13th Jan 2008, 19:25
In the US it is pretty straight forward you either clear the aicraft for the approach with the vector, or clear the aircraft to intercept the locilizer and maintain an altitude. We use both depending on circumstances. We do not expect a pilot to report established unless asked to report established during the clearance. A lot of foriegn airline pilots report all the time and we just say roger.

"[aircraft] xx miles from [outer marker] fly heading xxx join the runway xx locilizer maintain xxxx until established cleared runway xx ils approach"

"[aircraft] fly heading xxx join the runway xx locilizer maintain xxxx"

An example of when we use the later is the SFO runway 19L ILS, we vector aircraft to join between berks and shake. If we issued the approach clearance with the vector the aircraft could descend to 2900 as soon as they capture the localizer. The OAK 11 ILS is right under the SFO 19L ILS, Aircraft cross ALCAT at or above 2900. In that situation the SFO arrival is restricted above the OAK arrival until the aircraft cross courses or the OAK arrival decends past Plaza.

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0713/00375IL19L.PDF

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0713/00294I11.PDF

Wojtus
16th Jan 2008, 21:26
I might be wrong, since i am just a trainee, but i thought that "cleared for ils rwy XX" meant the acft was cleared to intercept and follow the localizer, then the glide path and descend until the landing (when cleared from twr) or MAP, as stated in the proper chart.
Even more, ICAO's "cleared for ... approach" also clears the a/c to execute go-around, which is part of the approach procedure. UK phrase does not mention that, maybe CAO should add some extra words to cover it? :}

RadarRambler
19th Jan 2008, 03:27
its another case of ICAO, NATS, FAA all using different terms. I think it needs further looking at.