PDA

View Full Version : UAE and families

rack 'n stack
11th Jan 2008, 02:27
Was considering coming to play in the sandpit and doing some research beforehand brings to mind a couple questions that i seek your help in answering;

1. Employment for women - my wife is a qualified Aust secondary teacher any chance of employment?
2. 11 year old - would she be bored? what is the schooling like?
3. I have been a controller for 25+ years last 15 as APP R - what ar ethe opportunites like?

Anything else that people could let me know greatly appreciated

thanks

London's Control
11th Jan 2008, 03:14
Hi !

1- There are a lot of schools/universities in the UAE who need a lot of teachers badly.
2- Your daughter will like Dubai if she likes shopping and hanging around - There are some British/American schools over there
3- Check with SERCO - I heard they need few controllers in RAK and also AUH although I am not 100 % Sure

All the best

bluerider777
11th Jan 2008, 03:48
Maybe a local can confirm but I have heard that you should finalise spouse employment prior to getting there or they can employ the spouse on a local contract rather that expat (much better on expat).
Just something to check out - gool luck.

Blue

rack 'n stack
11th Jan 2008, 05:18
thank you.

Funk
11th Jan 2008, 05:29
Get your missus qualifications attested by DFAT & UAE Embassy Canberra before you leave Australia.
I brought my then 13 year old over with me 2 years ago, a few tears at first but she loves it here (Abu Dhabi) now.
Schools are good if you can get her into one, however they are very expensive (AU$10,000+ p.a.) but your education allowance should cover 1 kid.
Dubai is after controllers and they have a very good package AU$200K+ p.a, Abu Dhabi is desparate for App & Area but the pay is a lot less, AU$145+ p.a. Area Radar (less for App...and so it should be too..let the flaming begin:}). Min accommodation costs in Abu Dhabi AU$60+ for 3 bdrm apartment if you can get one, there are plenty of AU$100+ p.a. villas. If like me you get on the Serco contract my 3 bdrm flat is AU$25K p.a.:)
Dubai accommodation is more affordable and a bit more plentiful, better still the Dubai guys can actually buy property that exists.
Teachers salaries are garbage but it all helps, expect about AU$3K p.m.

Best advice come here with the family before signing anything. :ok:

rack 'n stack
11th Jan 2008, 05:34
thanks Funk et al.

How's the cost of food etc?

Funk
11th Jan 2008, 07:12
Foodstuff are a little more expensive than home and expected to get worse due to poor wheat crops in the Nthn Hemisphere & Pakistan as well as the falling currency versus EU & Aus (lots of Austrlian/NZ sourced meat, vegies & Bega cheese) . Saudi & Bahrain are forecasting 30% increases this year according to the local press.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/507966-bahrain-cushions-price-blows-with-106mn-grants?ln=en

However eating out (apart from grog) is ****loads cheaper than home due to the low cost of labour.

Tin-Bullet
11th Jan 2008, 11:15
rack 'n stack

Check out this thread;

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=298192

You have alot of info you'd need to know,

Cheers mate n Good Luck:ok:

ferris
11th Jan 2008, 11:24
IMHO, I dont think there is much difference. Food has gone up heaps in oz lately.
You can shop 'cheaply' if you buy regional (egyptian oranges, iranian stonefruits etc) and in season. What tends to happen is that you find you have so much extra spare money here (compared to oz), that you just buy whatever you want, and dont worry about price. Raspberries at $10 a punnet :8 etc.
Just paid $27 kg for oz eye fillet (yes, thats eye fillet, not rib-eye. Nobody seems to want the expensive cuts, driving the regular price down?). $6 kg for nz mince. So it's swings and roundabouts. They do tend to touch you for brand name grocery items. However, driving to the supermarket at 30c per litre, compared to $1.50 in oz.........
As funk says, there are plenty of people who never cook their own food, due to the low cost of eating out (or having them bring it to you).

rack 'n stack
12th Jan 2008, 01:14
:) thanks heaps for the info people.

Hopefully we may see you in the not too distant future.

RNS