PDA

View Full Version : ATCO License

London's Control
10th Jan 2008, 22:30
Hello peeps,

Was just wondering beside your nationality CAA,Who else can grant you a License? I am working through Aerodrome and Approach courses shortly and I was a bit curious.

Regards,
LL

niknak
10th Jan 2008, 23:10
You don't say where you are based, but, as part of your Aerodrome course you will be taught about ICAO and ATC licensing.

Basically, it's the CAA of the country where you passed your exams and work which issues your licence, if you choose to work elsewhere you have to meet the requirements of that particular state.
In most cases you will have to undertake an assessment for prior competence to prove that you are capable of working as an ATCO within any particular country.

Some countries accept the ICAO ATCO licence as a standard, others, particularly some western European ones require you to, quite rightly, undergo rigerous assessments before you'll even be considered for acceptance.

London's Control
11th Jan 2008, 00:45
So basically,

If I do my course in the UAE - Can the UAE GCAA issue my license?

I am based @ BAH sir

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Jan 2008, 06:58
Some countries do not have official licencing arrangements. When I worked abroad the company I worked with issued an ATC Certificate, based on the ICAO licence and this was accepted by the government of the country where I worked, which had no licence system itself.

London's Control
11th Jan 2008, 07:17
Just to elaborate more,

I don't have any license yet (ICAO or Local) but I do hold certificate to prove I attended and successfully passed the 051 Course - My question is if I go finish my 052/053 in Dubai and knock on their GCAA door for the license after passing those,

Would they grant me the ATCO license under GCAA(UAE) rules?

Regards,

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Jan 2008, 08:45
The only agency which can properly answer you is GCAA(UAE). Why not ask them? If you are being trained by a professional organisation in Dubai they should be able to answer you... Are they not the ones who might be your potential employers?

London's Control
11th Jan 2008, 18:31
Cheers Heathrow Director !:}

Indeed they might be the employers - although, I do have one final question before letting this topic rest. What is ICAO License and who can issue it? furthermore, What if I am self sponsored would they also be keen on it ?

Regards,
LL

Spitoon
11th Jan 2008, 19:07
An ICAO license is one issued by an ICAO contracting State and that conforms to the Standards in Annex 1.

Such a licence indicates that the holder has attained a minimum level of knowledge (and, pehaps, practical skill if it contains valid ratings) as specified in Annex 1. The problem is that Annex 1 is not very specific and this is why many States will ask for additional evidence of knowledge before permitting you to work in 'their' airspace. The control mechanism is often to require a licence issued locally and for which only certain alleviations are granted for holders of licenses issued by other States.

When you look at the international picture, rightly or wrongly, licenses issued by certain States are often considered to be of more 'value' than those issued by others. In Europe there are moves to make a license issued by any EU member State valid in all other EU States. I think all the law is in place already but, in practise, it hasn't really resulted in much movement of license holders, mainly because of language barriers.

London's Control
11th Jan 2008, 19:44
Thanks a lot mate for that but my question is what are the rules and regulations to get the license from a specific country? do you need to hold their nationality or?

London's Control
12th Jan 2008, 23:52
guys?

anything?