PDA

View Full Version : Freighters

CargoRat2
5th May 2001, 04:20
Well, I opened my gob, so I'll start. This forum was last used on 24Apr01. Obviously general lack of interest.
Might get shot down in flames for this (no BA FD/CC scandal stories to tell). What the heck. Let's talk cargo/ cargo aeroplanes/lifestyles/rules & regs/questions. Freighter to freighter people! Never worked in a pax environment myself (12yrs L/M 74F); I find our website a bit pax biased.

Lets give it a go.

Edited for politeness!

------------------
rgds Rat

[This message has been edited by CargoRat2 (edited 05 May 2001).]

wheelchock
5th May 2001, 05:05
Looks like it's hijacked now.Great stuff!Hey Rat, how are things going over at P6, our old 8 still parked there (TLB), Fat Albert still parked at P5?

Mert
5th May 2001, 13:44
Hello, small freighter here. Based in the USA, Texas, just a couple short months from finishing my first year in freight ops and loving almost every minute of it!

" Me loves the boxes cause they ain't obnoxious "

;)

CargoRat2
5th May 2001, 14:23
Hi Wheelchock; TLB is parked in front of the VIP building on P3. Don't know what the heck it's doing there - you can imagine how it looks when all the EU ministers jet in for a conflab! The -10 is still parked on P5 - hasn't moved.
Strange that nobody has bought it! Any info on that score?

Wecome Mert: I'm in central Europe, ELLX to be exact. Love that little obnoxious boxes ditty! Have to remeber that one!
------------------
rgds Rat

[This message has been edited by CargoRat2 (edited 05 May 2001).]

wheelchock
5th May 2001, 14:32
Rat,
Don't know what the deal is with Fat Albert.I'm surprised it hasn't moved yet, but then again not, since the Lux authorities pulled the registration of it, and the airworthy cert of that one plus the 3 8's.
Do you of any jobs for an unemployed freight dog?

Dark Skies
5th May 2001, 14:40
I arrived here!!

Good Idea Rat, Lets get them to change the title to 'Freight Dogs'

Wheelchock let me know who you are? If I find anything worth knowing in the job line, I will let you know.

I myself think I may have found gainful employment, I do hope so!! and for a change living here in Ireland might not go against me.

Long Live the Freight Dogs!!

Kevin

------------------
'Thats not Flying! Thats just falling with style'

wheelchock
5th May 2001, 14:58
Dark Skies
Is that doing that webdesign thing, or are you finally back flying?BTW, you know who i am.Ja sure ja!So tell me where i can get a job, gddmn it! :) :) :)

CargoRat2
5th May 2001, 15:05
Well wheelchock, you're profile gives your job description as a wheelchock. We've got plently for the moment!
Give AFX a try. Both their 747s are flying for us now...

------------------
rgds Rat

wheelchock
5th May 2001, 15:09
Thanks Rat!But unfortunately don't have a JAR Lic.Thanks though!

ragspanner
5th May 2001, 15:12
Hey wheelchock ,
don't know ezackly what you do ?. Working on the basis that your front end,channel seem to need F27 crew most of the time (lot of f/o's go for hrs building).They are after 737 people(see adverts on this site),still recruiting for A300 i think !.I think Heavylift are getting some more A300's & everyone in the industry sent in a CV to DHL for jobs at EMA.
Anyway goodluck mate
I'll drop back in if i hear any good gen.

wheelchock
5th May 2001, 15:20
Thanks Ragspanner, but i'm actually looking for a F/E job.Thanks for the info!

PPRuNe Towers
5th May 2001, 15:57
Fill your boots guys - enjoy the place.

Admin overheads running 69 forums prevent us bringing any of the 17, Yes, 17, forums presently on request.

If this place takes off as you hope it will we'll do a little renaming.

Regards from the Towers
Rob Lloyd
[email protected]

CargoRat2
5th May 2001, 16:12
Thanks Mr Towers!
I realise it must be one heck of a job running a site like this. Drop me a line if you need a hand with this one.
I'm going to post a quick note on R&N to direct interested people over here.

Up to us now folks. We've (I've) been nagging for ages now; let's make it a success.

------------------
rgds Rat

wheelchock
5th May 2001, 16:22
Nothing much they can say, after you cleverly hijacked the place, Rat.Well done,absolutely fantastic!

CargoRat2
5th May 2001, 17:17
WE'VE DONE IT! Wow, that was quick. Thanks to Danny, PPRuNe Towers.

------------------
rgds Rat

PPRuNe Towers
5th May 2001, 17:55
You're welcome CR2. If you run back the days you'll find that this is still the European forum but we've just renamed it and popped it elsewhere on the list of forums to maintain the logic for navigating the site.

Thanks for the offer of help - we might be back to you on that. Like I said earlier, fill your boots and enjoy the place. It's up to you guys to make a success of it.

Don't forget to pass on your thanks to the Rat and Hogg - we admire persistent sods. Reminds us of our start on the internet.

Regards to all freight dogs from the Towers
Rob Lloyd
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by PPRuNe Towers (edited 05 May 2001).]

ausflyer
6th May 2001, 03:38
Hey Rat, well done. Got my attention here in Aus.

------------------

blowawayjet
6th May 2001, 13:17
So they finally gave us a place where we can lay down and scratch our flees off.Great!This calls for a celebration: here's to our Freight Dog Forum, cheers to all of us filthy freightdogs!

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/cheers.gif

[This message has been edited by blowawayjet (edited 06 May 2001).]

blowawayjet
6th May 2001, 13:33
Rat,
You should make a list with the top 10 freight operators.Would be interesting to see how many true freight dog operators we have now a days.

CargoRat2
6th May 2001, 16:54
Believe Fedex & UPS occupy the #1 & 2 spots. I think Lufthansa Cargo is next. BA is somewhere in the top ten. I think my crowd (CLX) is somewhere in the 10th to 15th range.
Should be a listing in the next ATW mag.

------------------
rgds Rat

dusk2dawn
6th May 2001, 18:25
While waiting for the next issue of ATW I picked this from THE CARGO LETTER [353] of 27 June 2000

1999 World Air Transport Stats ........... as FedEx, Lufthansa & Korean Air were the biggest Int'l air cargo carriers in 1999, according to the IATA ranking.

1.] FedEx 1.18 million tons;
2.] Lufthansa (1 million);
3.] Korean Air (897,000);
4.] Singapore Airlines (872,0000;
5.] British Airways (684,000);
6.] Cathay Pacific (672,000);
7.] Air France (644.000);
8.] Japan Airlines (615.000).

Domestic air freight:
1.] FedEx (3.6 million tons);
2.] UPS (2.5);
3.] Japan Airlines (334,000)

The Total Ton Kilometers transported by airlines on their Int'l scheduled operations increased by 7.5%, with Available Ton Kilometers reporting a 5.7% growth. At 64.1%, the weight load factor was only marginally lower than the record 64.6% weight load factor in 1997.

and from THE CARGO LETTER [362] of 30 April 2001:

Memphis & LAX Lead .......... as Int'l Transport Journal says that of the world's top 20 cargo hubs, 10 are located in the U.S., 6 in Asia & 4 in Europe. This breakdown shadows the current cargo flow worldwide. In the U.S., the top cargo port remains Memphis which is the HQ hub for FedEx shipments. Its throughput last year was 2.48 million tons, an increase of 3.2% over its 1999 figure. Los Angeles Int'l (LAX) was 2nd at 2.25 million tons of cargo, an increase of 5.2% on its 1999 total. Hong Kong was 3rd with 2.24 million tons of cargo. The full top 20 was:

1. Memphis (2.48 mt);
2. Los Angeles (2.25 mt);
3. Hong Kong (2.24 mt);
4. Miami (1.99 mt);
5. Tokyo Narita (1.875 mt);
6. Anchorage (1.872 mt);
7. Seoul Kimpo (1.84 mt);
8. New York JFK (1.18 mt);
9. Frankfurt (1.73 mt);
10. Singapore Changi (1.7 mt);
11. Chicago ORD (1.64 mt);
12. Louisville SDF (1.51 mt);
13. Paris CDG (1.5 mt);
14. London Heathrow (1.3 mt);
15. Indianapolis IND (1.28 mt);
16. Amsterdam Schiphol (1.21 mt);
17. Taipei Chiang Kai-Shek (1.19 mt);
18. New York Newark (1.08 mt);
19. Osaka Kansai (0.966 mt); and
20. Dallas Fort Worth (0.898 mt).

-----------------------------------

Volums Up .......... as World air cargo traffic increased 5.85% last year, to 64 million metric tons, according to yearly statistics published by Geneva-based Airports Council Int'l. North American cargo traffic rose 2.3% last year to 29.2 million tons. Traffic for Asia Pacific airports soared 11%, to 17.2 million tons. European airports' cargo traffic rose 7.9% to 12.8 million tons.

Hunter58
6th May 2001, 21:06
Hey CR2

good job! By the way, you asked why nobody wants the ex-TLX 10? Here's two reasons:

first, as to my knowledge the leasing company who actually owns it is in chapter 11, second, the market is swamped with tens right now, and it is softening up. Presently you have 2 Challenge and 2 World 10s parked in MIA, and they have not moved in weeks!

------------------
There's nothing like a three-holer...

Magic Blue
6th May 2001, 22:01
Rat/Hogg,

Well done lads,nice work,lets make sure we keep it.

metrodriver
6th May 2001, 22:55
Hi mert, where are you in Texas? I was on the panel for one of those 2 727 outfits in the Big D and now walking the street.

Juliet November
7th May 2001, 01:50
Speaking of DC-10s (And anyone calling them a Boeing will suffer the consequences) what is the story with Boeing converting them to 2 man cockpit and calling them MD10 ? Have there been any takers, and how does it compare to the MD11 payload / range wise ?

I'm under the impression that the market will take any available MD11 and convert them to freighters.

Greetings from Loadcontrol in CPH.

roho
7th May 2001, 11:55
Hi, all. Just checking in. Congrats to rat, et al for commandeering this forum! Cargo in the PACRIM has slowed a bit (for now) with the economy, but ANC just gets busier. Its not unusual to look down the public ramp and see 8 or 10 747 freighters coming or going, and that doesn't count all the FedEx and UPS birds. Remember - freight is great! (When was the last time one of us had to turn back for unruly passengers on board? (Well, there were those aligators that escaped their boxes enroute, but the crew just pulled up the ladder to the upper deck and pressed on!)

------------------
ROHO
747 FO

blue-ice
7th May 2001, 14:32
Congratulations Rat,
Well done !
C U in Lux one of these days

fugitive
7th May 2001, 19:46
Hi,would anyone have an email address for Heavylift and or DHL to send in the CV.thanks

DouglasDigby
7th May 2001, 20:25
Try [email protected] for DHL EMA; from Heavylift's website, only contact listed is [email protected] might be worth giving them a call - 01279 680610

fugitive
8th May 2001, 09:15
Thanks DD. Fugitive

stanley
8th May 2001, 22:01
any body know about the Canaries A300F in BRU ,it has not moved in weeks.still there today 8th may

Mert
9th May 2001, 01:28
Hi Metrodriver, Sorry to hear about your current job situation, I'm down in San Antonio. How long did you fly the Metro for? I'm not sure if you worked for EOI, but to tell you the truth the looks on the guys faces down here that fly for them is one of " I wonder how long I'll get to keep this job? "
Have you had any good job leads yet? I'll let you know if I hear of any!

M.

mriya225
9th May 2001, 02:25
Metrodriver,
I had a hard drive crash and lost all of my more specialized bookmarks - so these are just the links that come to mind - but hopefully a few of them can be of some help anyway....

http://www.azfreight.com/
http://www.cargosystems.net
http://www.aircargoworld.com
http://www.atwonline.com/index.cfm
http://iata.org/cargo/news.htm http://www.cargoweb.nl/News http://www.cargohub.com/gb/html/news_journaux/agw/index.html

This is from my old website (I haven't verified the links in quite a while) but there are some good pilot employment resources on this page...
http://maxpages.com/jetwash/Jetwash_Crew_Utility_Pointer

They'll at least give you some resources and current news to use to your advantage.
Good Luck Tiger! :)

------------------
"You did WHAT"?!

[This message has been edited by mriya225 (edited 08 May 2001).]

Top Loadie
10th May 2001, 00:32
Fugitive,
Just in case you are still keeping an eye on this forum, contact details for HeavyLift are as follows
HeavyLift Cargo Airlines
Enterprise House
London Stansted Airport
Stansted
Essex
CM24 1QW
Tel: +44 1279 680611
Fax: +44 1279 680615
I believe their Personnel Manager's e-mail is
[email protected]

---------

Rat...
Congrats on the new forum. Looks like the the old story of Loadmasters having to go on and on for an age to get something done has been proved right....!? Ho Ho

mriya225
10th May 2001, 01:14
There's always the option of contacting the President/CEO (Mr. Alexey I. Isaikin) too...
[email protected]

------------------
"You did WHAT"?!

Top Loadie
10th May 2001, 01:53
..if you want to fly for Volga-Dnepr, that is. And as we all know, the great ship HeavyLift Volga-Dnepr is no more....

-------
See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil...

mriya225
10th May 2001, 03:36
Uhh....
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">..if you want to fly for Volga-Dnepr, that is. And as we all know, the great ship HeavyLift Volga-Dnepr is no more....</font>

...not all of us.

Top Loadie
11th May 2001, 04:03
Mriya225
Were you not aware of the HeavyLift Volga-Dnepr break up a few months ago? VDA decided to go it alone with their AN124, IL76 & AN12. That left HeavyLift with 3 A300, 2(now 1) SC5 and some 9G- 707's. ACW carried an article a while back. Have a look at
http://www.aircargoworld.com/archives/feat1_mar01.htm
I think there were a few entries in the Rumors and News forum as well.
Rgds

mriya225
11th May 2001, 04:56
Thanks sugar,
I tend to be more aircraft oriented, and kind of tune out the carrier stuff because it's like a big dramatic soap opera http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif ...
I will say this though, when I heard they were pushing ahead with the second generation airframe of the AN225 without Volga Dnepr, I was thoroghly gobsmacked!
But hey, business is business, I guess.

Thanks again for the link hon. :)

Edited because, absolutely nobody needs to use that many emoticons!

------------------
"You did WHAT"?!

[This message has been edited by mriya225 (edited 11 May 2001).]

BADOG
12th May 2001, 01:36
Juliet November was asking about the DC-10 to MD-10 conversions. Below is a link to Boeing which has all of the specs on the conversions. I saw a press release about a year ago that FEDEX had ordered 75 or so of these conversions. I have note heard anything more about the conversions recently. The DC-10s do seem to be disappearing pretty quickly from the US passenger fleets.

I hope the info is useful.

BADOG

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aviationservices/freighterconversion/bas_freighterdc10.html

RampTramp
16th May 2001, 20:43
Been offline for a while & just caught up with this. Well done Rat!

Stanley was asking about the Canaries A300 in BRU, well it's gone now but was operating for DHL when the Airport Authority slapped a writ for non payment on it. End of contract sooner than thought.

JN, I'll talk to you soon but Mobile Aerospace were working on a MD10 last time I was there. Far as I know, it's a goer but still in the 'trying to get it all to fit' stage.

See ya all in those dark places reserved for the likes of us!

------------------
I'm not old, I was just born too early

Juliet November
17th May 2001, 08:43
RT,

Good to hear from you mate. Trust Fragrant Harbour was a treat, looking forward to seeing you at the World Soccer.

JN

metrodriver
20th May 2001, 22:57
mriya225, thanks for your reply, I'm gonna check'em out. Mert, I flew metro's for AMF and a commuter outfit. Never heard of EOI. Anyway, jobhunt sucks. I had some good hopes for the sterling contract in Europe, but that plan got shot down. Way too many 727 fe's out there now (and of course heavy folks), and a fresh fe license and lack of 1000 hrs PIC (jet or turboprop) I fall in the big black hole.
-No pilot shortage does exist, except at the bottom, where I've been too long

Airspeed
21st May 2001, 21:21
FedEx here in Memphis is converting all the DC-10s to MD-10s. The first one just flew recently and they love it. Don't have all the statistics on it as I am on the 727.

Bahadir
24th May 2001, 09:00
Mert, are you Turkish by any chance?

Anthony Bindel
24th May 2001, 17:27
So they would not let us reply to "where did all the Cargo Lion pilots go". Closed the Forem.
Some are enjoying this vacation that just won't end. No one will hire an FAA type, so packing and wishing I had severence pay.

Dark Skies
25th May 2001, 01:28
Tony!!

How's the Good lady? and when are you coming to visit me in Ireland? Get in touch soon... Don't come in the Porsche, people will think I know people with money....Kevin

------------------
Remember' Freight is the Hunter'

wheelchock
25th May 2001, 13:28
Hows the river today Tone?I'll probably be back next week in Lux, let's head out for some more food at ChiChi's, well the drinks are more important, but never mind.I'll let the gang know.Suffert from a severe case of the sh*ts after our last session, i was suffering for 3 hours in the car.

CargoRat2
25th May 2001, 13:36
Have to have a LUXBash! I got together with blueice & LGL737 the other night.

------------------
rgds Rat

[This message has been edited by CargoRat2 (edited 26 May 2001).]

wheelchock
25th May 2001, 14:14
CargoRat,

Where do you usually hang out in Lux?Not a bad idea having a Luxbash.

RampTramp
25th May 2001, 16:32
Hey guys,

Great idea for a LUXBash. I'm just up the road in BRU & would drive down. I still know enough people down there to get a bed for the night.

What, when, where???

------------------
I'm not old, I was just born too early

Dark Skies
25th May 2001, 17:16
LUX BASH, Great Idea! I am up for some of that, I could get over maybe with TNT ex BFS into LGG then on the train.

It would be great to see you guys, maybe get some of the other ex Cargo Lion bods in on it!

------------------
Remember' Freight is the Hunter'

CargoRat2
26th May 2001, 11:37
We met up on Place D'Armes, Cafe de Paris. Blue Ice I knew, LGL737 via email. Quite James Bondish walking up to someone I never seen before whispering "LGL737?" :)

What say next weekend? Fri 1st or Sat 2nd.

------------------
rgds Rat

LGL737
26th May 2001, 13:43
Rat, it was kind of Bondish actually, maybe you should consider a career change and become a secret agent instead :) hehe
those green mint drinks were pretty good.
see ya

rgds
LGL

blue-ice
27th May 2001, 21:30
I do agree, these mint drinks are something else. After all these rom & cola I had that night it was a great change.

By the way, airline crews normally meet at Check-in just across the Cargolux-building on day to day basis, including groundstaff i.e. Loadmasters, maintainance, crewplanning,
operations staff etc.

I like the idea of get-together in Lux one of these days.

All the best !

ice

Mert
28th May 2001, 03:56
Bahadir,
Nope, I'm American.

CargoRat2
28th May 2001, 13:05
Mochito (sp?) is the name of that green stuff...should be classified Dangerous Goods!

------------------
rgds Rat

ironbutt57
29th May 2001, 19:42
Gee airspeed, heard the feddies were a little upset with the tombstone agency certifying the MD-10 with a common type rating with the MD-11..so who loves it? How's the other half anyway? remember we chatted via e-mail some time back...cheers ironbutt57

freightdoggy dog
2nd Jun 2001, 03:01
Congrats Cargorat.
Seem to remember that green stuff from the days when we were bashing out of Lux.Also remember the Irish lasses at the Sheraton!
Hope to be back soon.