PDA

View Full Version : BA dumping fuel over REVTU

captjns
10th Jan 2008, 10:29
A BA aircraft, I belevie it was BA247, was dumping fuel over REVTU intersection so they could return to EGLL. Most glad:ok::) to hear it was not a MAY DAY or PAN situation and hopefully a minor technical problem.

Off Stand
10th Jan 2008, 10:48
I was one of the FA's on the flight. We landed fine, the flight is leaving again at 1400 with the same flight crew, but a new set of cabin crew.

I am no expert, so forgive me for my lack of technical knowledge. The system that controls the angle of atack of the a/c had a problem as soon as we got airborne. It was decided that we should return to London, which we did and the crew conducted the meal service on the ground.

Morbid
10th Jan 2008, 14:37
crew conducted the meal service on the ground

Musnīt forget the important details ;)

Off Stand
10th Jan 2008, 14:38
Ha ha ha! I do try!

Union Jack
10th Jan 2008, 15:49
..... and the crew conducted the meal service on the ground

All sounds eminently sensible to me: CC, PAX, food all on board, and PAX, with nothing better to do, all kept under control until back-up aircraft available!

Jack

gone till november
10th Jan 2008, 16:01
Off Stand

Thats a better technical explanation than most pilots can muster. Usually its "Oi you, ginger beer" this is donald ducked:cool:.

Glad that you all returned safely and sounds like all crew did their bit.

XRJ
10th Jan 2008, 17:59
Flight relaunched with new cabin crew but the same flight deck..........

Laugh or cry the choice is yours!

BYALPHAINDIA
10th Jan 2008, 22:25
I was one of the FA's on the flight. We landed fine, the flight is leaving again at 1400 with the same flight crew, but a new set of cabin crew.

I am no expert, so forgive me for my lack of technical knowledge. The system that controls the angle of atack of the a/c had a problem as soon as we got airborne. It was decided that we should return to London, which we did and the crew conducted the meal service on the ground.

I bet a Pax woke up to their horror to find that they were back at EGLL.
:zzz::D:ugh:

TightSlot
11th Jan 2008, 08:48
Flight relaunched with new cabin crew but the same flight deck
Surely Flight Crew hours are the more restrictive? Don't you mean the other way around?

Human Factor
11th Jan 2008, 09:25
This is LHR so probably not. :ugh:

XRJ
11th Jan 2008, 14:30
Nope. I think it's one of the only airlines where Flight Crew can work longer than the Cabin. That could all change soon though.........

PAXboy
11th Jan 2008, 14:47
It could change on Open Skies/Lauren soon enough ...

TightSlot
11th Jan 2008, 19:23
Nope. I think it's one of the only airlines where Flight Crew can work longer than the Cabin.

Golly Gosh!!! So they haven't so much strayed from CAP371 as wrapped it in a sack, dropped it in a river and then run like hell in the other direction? I knew BA were 'different' to all the other UK airlines, but didn't realize they were that different

Hand Solo
11th Jan 2008, 19:26
Nothing to do with CAP371, it's the cabin crews union agreements which means they have to get off whilst the pilots invariably stay to work on.

frontlefthamster
11th Jan 2008, 19:41
Off stand,

I admire your post, very much,:ok:

but I can't help myself mentioning that:8

The system that controls the angle of atack

is the two pink sweaty things in the front left and right seats. :p

They do it, of course, with the big sticky-up things between their legs (or the pushy-buttony things under the front windows), whilst the collection of levers in the middle which make the noise louder and softer also has a part to play. :)

I guess you meant the system that measures the angle of attack (AoA sensing, ADCs, etc), which has been known to be troublesome in the past, if it was built in Seattle (or serviced in Amsterdam). :(

Basil
12th Jan 2008, 09:03
Is it 'patronise' or 'patronize'? :E

Off Stand
12th Jan 2008, 09:25
Frontlefthamster, I only posted the exact words that the engineer used to me, my guess is that he was 'dumbing down' the terminaology? As I said, I am not an expert!

Tight Slot, the flight crew got off the a/c once the engineers had boarded, about 0030-0100 as they had to have 11 hours rest before operating the rescheduled flight. The cabin crew remained on board until 0245 when the last of the pax had got off.

TightSlot
12th Jan 2008, 11:47
Makes sense now Off Stand - Thanks

frontlefthamster
12th Jan 2008, 18:16
Off stand,

My reply was genuine. Rather than leaving you 'dumbed down' by your engineer, I hope that you're slightly wiser. Good luck. :ok:

Basil,

The spelling is 'patronise', if that helps. :p

M.Mouse
12th Jan 2008, 20:00
Flight relaunched with new cabin crew but the same flight deck..........

Whew! That is a relief because to unbolt the flight deck and change it would have meant many days of engineering work and the passengers would have been very cross at such a lengthy delay.

Artie Fufkin
12th Jan 2008, 22:51
the big sticky-up things between their legs :ooh:

Didn't realise it got that "exciting".

Basil
13th Jan 2008, 12:23
The spelling is 'patronise', if that helps.
I am indebted m'lud. ;)

derekl
13th Jan 2008, 12:36
Basil,

The preferred spelling in the Concise Oxford is 'patronize', but both are correct, according to it. :8

And I'll take frontlefthamster's word for it on AoA :)

JW411
13th Jan 2008, 14:44
Basil:

Do you sometimes ever wonder if anyone in this country still has a sense of humour?

frontlefthamster
13th Jan 2008, 16:32
Well, given that my attempt at a little humour in my earlier post was so well received, I think that I for one shall give up. :\

Off Stand
14th Jan 2008, 04:22
Very much the wiser frontlefthamster. The way I look at it, the more that we cabin crew take in about the workings of the different a/c we work on, the better we can describe to you any problems that may arise during the flight, does that make sense?

frontlefthamster
14th Jan 2008, 06:35
It makes complete sense to me. :ok:

Doctor Cruces
14th Jan 2008, 11:56
I think it only wise that the cabin staff have shorter working hours than the "pink, sweaty things" with all the dials and knobs.

After all, they don't have a sitting down job like the bods up front, do they, and so will become fatigued more easily.

:ok::)

Doc C