PDA

View Full Version : Winter Downtime

BYALPHAINDIA
8th Jan 2008, 22:20
It always makes me wonder how some Airlines (charter) keep their Pilot's on full pay/ contracts throught the quite winter months.

TOM are really busy now in the winter, But if you look at the likes of MYT, XL, AEU they dont seem to be really busy.

I was curiously going through the Airport arrivals for MAN the other day, TOM had 11 arriving A/C, But MYT & XL had not more than 3 each.

Some days there are hardly no flights for MYT & XL.

ZB are always busy with the schedules, MON seems alot busier this winter than previous.

They must have Aircraft just parked for months, And what about their crews what are they doing Training??

It seems a trivial question, But I have always wondered how some charter carriers make any profit in the winter months.??

MYT have 14 320's, 4 321's, 4 3330's (HAJ) 2 763's.
XL have 12 738's, 2 763's 1 762 1 752.

Even with the odd day trip/lapland I still cannot see a busy winter.
Surely all these aircraft are not flying??

Any answers appreciated:ok:

perkin
8th Jan 2008, 22:35
Don't some of the UK charter airlines ship their aircraft over to the far east during the western European off-season?

Wodrick
9th Jan 2008, 08:15
Can only comment on MyT.
As ever the 320 fleet are scattered around the country, NCL, BFS, EMA, BRS LGW and MAN, this is for those that remain, I can't remember the exact figure but at least six are in Canada flying with Skyservice.
Three of the 332s are in Scandinavia, one is on the Hajj. The Scandinavian 333s are the other three on the Hajj.
The 763s have a busy Long and Medium haul program at MAN and LGW.
Utilization for a winter is good.