PDA

View Full Version : flight instructor manuals and jobs

dfspilot
8th Jan 2008, 10:55
hi all, hope somebody can give me some advice and i know that it may have been covered before. i have decided to do a flight instructors course starting soon and would appreciate anybodys advice on the best training manual to prepare myself for the course . also what are the job prospects ( full time ) at the moment or in about 3-4 months time ( i live in ireland but would go to uk to secure a good position, ideally in a busy school), although i know from my own training that there is a lot of waiting around for the wx to allow vfr flight. i have cpl me ir mcc. any pointers would be appreciated.:D

TheOddOne
8th Jan 2008, 11:16
I'm currently looking at the spine of my copy of R.D. Campbell's Flight Instructors Manual and the Flying Instructors Patter Manual that resides alongside it. I didn't find either fantastically useful but you'll probably have to buy at least the Campbell book just to say you've seen it.

The best stuff, I found, was the briefing notes I was given at the school where I did my course. I think any reputable FIC provder will give you their own version of how to teach each exercise. In addition, I asked for aide memoire notes to take with me in the a/c. I was told in no uncertain terms that I should make up my own so that I know exactly what I'm going to do in the air. This proved an excellent strategy; I feel that these notes are 'mine'. I got the impression that the Instructor was waiting for me to come around to asking for these so that I could be given the pointer as to what to do, so the fact that I asked was seen as a positive thing. I do still refer to my notes before teaching a particular exercise, except possibly for Ex 4.1, which I've done quite a few times now, trial lessons etc!

I believe that Wellesborne provide some pre-study material as well as excellent notes, haven't seen them myself but they do seem to be the 'in' place at the moment. Give 'em a ring.

As you say, a lot of sitting around, waiting for the weather (which is why I'm idling my time away on pprune in the middle of the day!)

I'd have thought a course starting in the next couple of weeks should launch you into the better weather so that you can get a job and some serious practice instructing under your belt as the wx improves (hopefully!) The thing I feel in need of most at the moment is more practice and experience at teaching all the exercises, having started work full-time in Sept 07.

As to the job market, well, who's to say in 3 months time, any economic downswing they say hits PPL training first. Historically there have always been jobs going in the South-east of England, but it's bluddy expensive to live here, swings & roundabouts.

Good luck,
TheOddOne

Duchess_Driver
8th Jan 2008, 11:27
Found (still find!) Campbell a very useful reference.

The Patter Manual, well, not really sure I've read that all the way through and probably wont either.

Second "TheOddOnes" comments regarding the provision of FIC notes by your course provider, and again the comments about developing your own notes for the airwork. Every school should have it's own standards for teaching and developing your own notes based on those will help. You will develop your own style to which you can continually adapt those notes to suit.

Jobs - well! Two a penny at the moment, but what of this recession we're expecting. Will there be as many vacanices at the 'non-commercial' schools in the months to come?

Enjoy your flying

BroomstickPilot
9th Jan 2008, 06:21
Some time ago, I came across the official Australian Government flight instructor's manual, which is available free from the CASA website.

I don't know how good it is, I'm not an instructor, but it should be good if it is an Australian official document.

Anyway, it is free and so worth a look.

Broomstick.

manfromuncle
9th Jan 2008, 08:50
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/media/FAA-H-8083-9.pdf

Captain Jock
9th Jan 2008, 18:57
Try "Instructional Techniques for the Flight Instructor" produced by On Track Aviation Ltd and written by John Halstead and Alan Newton.