PDA

View Full Version : FI rating current to supervise FI(R)?

Baron Von Mildred
7th Jan 2008, 16:35
Does anyone know if an FI rating has to be current to supervise an FI(R)? Assuming he doesn't actually teach in the air of course....

Arfur Feck-Sake
7th Jan 2008, 17:21
I don't know the answer but there are several CFIs/Heads of Training out there who have lost their medicals and can't fly/instruct, so presumably a current/active FI Rating is not required (providing the supervisor is suitably experienced).

timzsta
7th Jan 2008, 17:45
As far as my understanding goes the supervising instructor must have a current FI rating. The club where I instruct as an FI(R) has just updated their Standards Document 11 with the CAA and we removed from the list of supervising instructors those whose FI ratings had lapsed.

Guidance was issued by the CAA as to the supervisory requirements in a training com last year. If I remember went along the lines of the supervising instructor does not necessarily need to be at the aerodrome but can be contactable by telephone. CAA recommended supervising FI's oversee the briefing of students that FI(R)'s send solo.

Whopity
7th Jan 2008, 18:13
If the rating is not valid then you cannot exercise the privileges associated with it. In the case of a FI who has lost his medical:
Medical requirements
32 (1) The holder of a licence granted under article 27, other than a Flight Radiotelephony Operator's Licence, shall not be entitled to perform any of the functions to which his licence relates unless it includes an appropriate valid medical certificate issued under paragraph (3).
however, you can apply for an exemption to Article 32 for the purposes of supervising, which may be granted up to the expiry date of the FI rating.

athonite
7th Jan 2008, 20:46
Best speak to Alan Milred at Atlantic Flight Training on this!!

Whopity
8th Jan 2008, 07:01
You can talk to whoever you like, the law is quite specific, and unless you hold a written exemption it isn't legal.

Baron Von Mildred
8th Jan 2008, 09:33
Thanks for the replies chaps (& chapesses?), seems a bit contentious.

Timzsta - I have the Trainingcom I think you were refering to in front of me. You are not correct about supervising FI not needing to be at airfield. The opening paragraph quuotes ANO Scedule 8, saying supervisor should be present at take-off & landing at base aerodrome. (Whether that means he could nip to the shops in between, I don't know...) He must also be available to observe briefings where appropriate (best practice).