PDA

View Full Version : KSFO VOR 19L Minimum intercept angle

inept
6th Jan 2008, 11:53
During a PC check, the check airman gave us a clearance direct to Concord CCR then cleared for the VOR 19L KSFO. The inbound track to CCR was 050 degrees. The outbound feeder from CCR BOBJA is 235 degrees 2.6 miles for the inbound course of 191 degrees to KSFO. In all the course change is 140 degrees at an airspeed of 180 knots. There is no publshed procedure turn which would have made this approach easier. Is this normal? The type of aircraft is a B-747-200 .

Thanks

bookworm
6th Jan 2008, 17:06
Not sure I follow the 140 degrees. If you'r inbound to CCR on 050, a course change of close to 180 degrees is required to get you on to 235. So turn left on reaching CCR and fly to BOBJA, the IAF. Considering the turn radius, you'll probably approach it from more like 190, which helps for the remainder of the approach (http://naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0801/00375V19L.PDF).

slatch
6th Jan 2008, 19:57
First of all you would never get that clearance from NCT in real life. Vectors are almost always provided for the VOR 19L approach. But lets say for some reason, say a radar outage NCT can not vector you and you are approaching on a 050 course to CCR. If you are /A a clearance to the VOR would be an option. AS both a pilot and controller I would expect alittle more information in this situation. As a pilot I would ask for muenuvering airspace north of CCR and crossing the vor would continue on the 050 heading for a minute or so then turn left to a 235 course and intercept the localizer prior to BOBJA and track inbound. Alternatively you can always ask for a procedure turn even if it says not authorized a controller can issue one as long as altitude restrictions are given that provide for terrian seperation. So you just do a procedure turn at CCR and start the approach. Biggest thing to remember that almost anything can be done with communication. Tell ATC your plan if they dont like it they will say so and give you an alternate plan. IF they say roger your usually good to go.