PDA

View Full Version : ASIC Renewal

ForkTailedDrKiller
6th Jan 2008, 11:10
Posted the paperwork to renew my ASIC to Aviation ID Australia yesterday (5 January), having decided to give Cretins Against Safe Aviation a miss.

Whoever is responsible for this abomination should be sacked! I could suggest other things to do to them but that might be seen as inciting violence etc and delay the renewal.

Cost me $182 + $30 for new passport size photos - I haven't changed much!

Sent a new certified copy of the same passport that I sent a certified copy of last time.

Sent a new certified copy of the same driver's licence that I sent a certified copy of last time.

Sent a copy of the latest rendition (including crappy photo ID) of the same pilot's licence that I have held for the last 35 years.

Gave the same address that I have lived at for the last 22 years.

Given that I have severely restricted my terrorist activities in the last few years, I expect minimal delay with the renewal.

Will post when the new one arrives.

Dr :8

kalavo
6th Jan 2008, 11:22
Good luck!

Went through CASA this time (not sure if that was a good thing or not) but was kind of pleased to see the card arrive five weeks later, even though it wasnt a renewal.

Certainly beats their last effort of 8 months, and then only having the card valid for 16months when it was finally issued.

Cap'n Arrr
6th Jan 2008, 11:33
Mines due shortly, can anyone say whether Aviation ID or CASA is a better option???

criticalmass
6th Jan 2008, 11:46
My existing ASIC due to expire in Dec 07, I gathered all the required documentation, crossed all the Ts, dotted all the Is, double-checked the photos were annotated and signed by the JP, made sure I had filled in all the forms correctly with supporting documentation, wrote out the cheque and posted it off to Aviation ID Australia.

Approx four weeks later my brand new ASIC arrived. No fuss, no delays, no hassles. Works great for check-in at DJ counter, never had mine looked at at my local airport, not even during APEC! Still, we gotta have one, so have one we must! Posted the expired one back to them in the pre-paid envelope supplied.

Aviation ID Australia really do know what they are doing. I refer all enquiries about getting an ASIC to them. Highly recommended!

galdian
6th Jan 2008, 11:58
I was going to use Aviation ID Australia, checked their website and it appeared as if the people who could certify documents was very restrictive compared to the list on the CASA website.

In fairness I emailed them to enquire if the "usual suspects" (in my case the local postmaster) was indeed able to certify said documents etc; I am hoping they received my email, I never received a response.

In the end far easier for me to go via CASA - also one of the original benefits of using ID Australia, the cost differential, has almost disappeared.
I am certainly not saying CASA was a better option but personally far easier than it appeared it was going to be with ID Australia.

Posted off the week before Xmas (not the best time of the year), a renewal not initial issue, be interesting to see how long to process.

ForkTailedDrKiller
6th Jan 2008, 12:32
OK, I sent mine to Aviation ID Australia yesterday; galdian sent his to Cretins Against Safe Aviation the week before Xmas - both are renewals, we will see how they go.

galdain, can you post here when you get your new ID?

PS: I had no trouble getting the documents certified. The local JPs man a stand at the various shopping centres around the town on a variety of days. Got all the documents certified in a few minutes when I stopped off for my morning coffee fix. Great community service!

ABX
6th Jan 2008, 12:47
Great community service!

Thanks Doc, its nice to get a good rap every now and then.

Cheers,

ABX J.P. (NSW)

Howard Hughes
6th Jan 2008, 19:07
both are renewals,
The problem with the system is, they will be treated as initial issues!:eek:

Evry police station and court house will havea JP, don't be scared they don't bite!:ok:

bentleg
6th Jan 2008, 19:26
Mines due shortly, can anyone say whether Aviation ID or CASA is a better option???

Another thread on this topic here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=290388&highlight=asic). The price differential between CASA and AVID Australia has all but disappeared. Mine took 45 days from AVID.

flog
6th Jan 2008, 21:27
I just went to do my renewal with AviationID and saw this on the application type page -
Please Note: You should only select a Renewal Application Type if your current ASIC Card was issued through Aviation ID Australia.
I obtained mine originally through casa, anyone know what the story is?

185skywagon
6th Jan 2008, 21:38
I think you'll find that CASA has off-loaded all it's ASIC process to Aviation ID.
I got my last one from them and it took around 2-3 weeks. They were fairly easygoing and pleasant to deal with. Don't know what they'll be like with the extra CASA workload.
If you have digital camera, do your own photos. Email them as well as posting.
This was my first ASIC with them, as my previous ones were issued by Q**T*S. One would hope that the renewal process would a bit easier than the initial issue.:ugh:

Islander Jock
6th Jan 2008, 21:41
Flog,
Aviation ID might be offering a discount for return customers. THere is also a difference with Auscheck in that if your details are in their system after the migration from the previous AFP check then they will process the background check slightly cheaper but only by a few bucks.

One big delay with the ASIC process is actually getting the cards printed. Mine have taken anywhere from 2 to 33 days with an average of 21 days. Auchecks are taking on average 10 - 14 days despite the fact that the whole process is now completed electronically. The silly season has not helped with one Auscheck request having been with them for nearly 3 weeks. I don't give a frig about their Christmas leave - I want my bloody applications processed for which the punters are paying a premium. At least they date the clearance from the day they actually issue and forward by email the clearance.

There is a new Issuing Authority on the horizon that might be able to speed up this process a bit.:E

FTDK - $30.00 for passport pics - they must have seen you coming. Surely you have a digital camera and colour printer.

As I mentioined before, just about every security controlled airport in the country is now an issuing authority and can issue ASICs to anyone having a requirement, although they may chose to restrict this to pilots who are based at their airfield. I guess this is fair enough as the processing of these things can be quite onerous. The advantage though is that if you get your local airport to process for you and you take the documents in yourself, you do not need to have them certified as you are presenting the originals.

BEACH KING
6th Jan 2008, 21:52
Aviation ID did mine and took 5 weeks. All pretty easy, doing the application online. Just plain crazy how you have to do all the certified documentation again. I took several copies this time to make it easier next time. Didn't have to pay $30 for the passport photos though FTDK:E

galdian
6th Jan 2008, 23:48
Regarding persons able to certify documents I am in the country, was looking for passport renewal a while ago and the passport info page clearly indicates a whole bunch of people - the easiest was the local postmaster whom was duly utilised, all too easy.

ID Australia's home page lists very few compared with CASA's list and NOT the local postmaster so starting to get all to hard so ID Australia lost out to CASA because it was easier.

If indeed ID Australia's list is the same as CASA's (as it should be, surely??) they could do themselves a huge commercial favour and update their homepage to reflect this ( of course this would probably only assist the village idiots like myself however still a substantial potential market; not every village has only one idiot! ;))

FTDK - will report upon receipt as requested.

Valdiviano
7th Jan 2008, 19:25
Pardon my ignorance.
For an initial issue ASIC card what is the difference between RED or GREY?:confused:

ForkTailedDrKiller
7th Jan 2008, 19:52
".... what is the difference between RED or GREY?"

THIS IS RED!
THIS IS GREY!

PS: Beggared if I know! Are the grey ones aerodrome specific?

Valdiviano
7th Jan 2008, 20:39
Up to your usual High standards, PPRUNE would be dreary without you DR.
Your posts allways good for a smile;)

Islander Jock
7th Jan 2008, 21:03
Red background is valid for all security areas at an airport.
Grey is for landside security areas only. Don't see too many of this type though.

WilliamOK
7th Jan 2008, 21:20
".... what is the difference between RED or GREY?"

THIS IS RED!
THIS IS GREY!

I wonder how many thousands of dollars and how many consultants and contractors it took CASA to decide which colours would be used for the ASICs?

Islander Jock
7th Jan 2008, 21:39
CASA didn't decide it DOTARS did :ugh:

flog
7th Jan 2008, 21:39
WillOK - I would guess many many more thousands than you'd expect, and not as many consultants as you'd expect for the number of thousands they paid...

dmussen
8th Jan 2008, 00:40
Folks,
Have any of you asked why your ASIC is valid for two years and the MSIC (Marine) which I hold is valid for five?

I know ships are slower than aircraft but ?????!!!!!!!................:confused:

ABX
8th Jan 2008, 00:50
There's no need to ask dmussen, we know why. Its all about ripping the most money from us as possible, renewal fees every 2 years instead of 5... you bet!

I bet the MISC would be every 2 years if they introduced it today. (Either that or pilots don't have a strong union to stand up for them and demand 5 year renewals!)

PyroTek
8th Jan 2008, 01:00
Well I posted my SPL/ASIC application in late november or early december...
Got the SPL, still waiting on the ASIC..

dmussen
8th Jan 2008, 05:48
ABX,
Try telling everyone to Jack Up with DOTARS or whatever they call themselves these days. Parity is hard to argue against. Keep the basta#ds honest.

Bullethead
8th Jan 2008, 07:34
The red background on an airline ID card has always indicated airside acess, well before ASICs came into being.

Regards,
BH.

Nivo
8th Jan 2008, 09:39
My 10 cents!

I used Aviation ID again last year for a renewal. Posted the papers 30 Nov, received new ASIC before Christmas.

Good service in 2005 and again in 2007.

cheers,

Nivo

Section28- BE
8th Jan 2008, 23:03
Via the good Dr's- Cretins Against………………

Initial Issue- previous expiry OCT 03.

5 weeks during Nov-Dec 07.

Rgds

Valdiviano
9th Jan 2008, 08:46
Posted my application today, for an INITIAL ISSUE.
Race you to the finish.................................
Mine should be easy, I have allready been cheked by the FEDS for Child Abuse, before I could become a volunteer driver for the local community.
Yesterday (after 10 days) I got my TOW TRUCK drivers authority, that means I am NOT A STANDOVER THUG.
Surely THEY will let me on the other side of the airport fence to DRIVE an aeroplane. We will see.

185skywagon
9th Jan 2008, 21:32
3 months to get a heavy vehicle DG licence security check. Being the current holder of an ASIC cuts no ice. Security check for DG licence valid for 3 years ASIC valid for 2 years:ugh:

emu787
9th Jan 2008, 21:52
I will say it again for the people that missed it....21 million PASSENGERS carted into and out of AUSTRALIA last year by the BIGGEST PLANES that make the BIGGEST HOLES......NO ASIC...NO AFP CHECK...NO ASIO CHECK...NO DOTARS CHECK...NO CASA CHECK....NO $$$$$$$$$$$$

..just a plain simple COMPANY issued $5 ID card of any shape or form....

who is being conned....you !!!!!

galdian
9th Jan 2008, 22:14
WELL - having reviewed the posts I suspect we missed the implications which makes the CASA Vs ID Australia argument irrelevant.

Couple of weeks ago 185skywagon suggested ID Australia might handle ALL the actual processing so that CASA was no more than a postal drop.

I sent my application to CASA. On Jan 7th my credit card was debitd $186.00, today my account shows it was debited to...Aviation ID Australia!

So when I get the card will it be in an ID Australia envelope?... or have CASA just given ID Australia a couple of boxes of CASA envelopes and said "go for it?"
Or in the best traditions of bureaucracy will it physically pass through the hands of CASA at both the start....and finish??

Any bets on the last option?? ;)

Capt Wally
11th Jan 2008, 08:37
"Galdian" CASA out source almost everything byn the sounds of it, inc COMMON SENSE !!!:bored:
I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did as you last mentioned, afterall who has the bigger 'stick' ? them or us ?:bored:

New meaning for CASA Clever And Stupid Afterall !!

CW

Islander Jock
11th Jan 2008, 09:05
Issuing ASICs was never CASAs core business. It was probably lumped on them by the then DOTARS becuase CASA was seen as the organisation best able to service the pilot fraternity. The legendary farcical initial round of ASICs issued by them with the assistance of Chubb Security clearly showed they were not up to it and probably haven't been since.

For the sake of simplicity, CASA should just say - we are no longer an issuing authority and refer all pilots who would normally use them on to AviationID Australia. Remaining as a "middle man" in the applicaton process is only going to cause more delays, be more expensive and make things much more complicated than they really have to be.

The cost could be brought down significantly if Auscheck would, as previously suggested, make the clearances valid for 3 or even 5 years. They tend to waste a lot of time and money generating unnecessary paperwork and their much touted online system is still not up and running after it was hacked into about a week before launch date last August.

Chimbu chuckles
11th Jan 2008, 13:20
Here is an idea....walk in and apply for a renewal...they type your customer number into a database and if the screen doesn't turn red you're issued with a new one for $20 which you exchange on the spot for your old one.

A renewal should not be any more complicated than renewing your drivers license...try that with 13 points/$1000 in outstanding traffic 'terrorism'.

multime
11th Jan 2008, 13:41
Conspiracy theories abound.
I told you last year if it costs $150-00 for a worthless bit of plastic.
What will the price be in 10 ?.
M:E
Thanks Casa?
Politically incorrect information brought to you by the nice people at lets destroy all aviation in Aus.
Shortened - AKA - CASA

ForkTailedDrKiller
20th Jan 2008, 12:06
Paperwork posted on January 5.

Credit card debited on January 16!

A indication of progress?

Islander Jock
20th Jan 2008, 12:22
A indication of progress?
Maybe more an indication that they have taken your money. Remember even if an adverse security finding was to come back. You still pay for the application.

I was having a think about how quick it could be done assuming an issuing authority had their own machine and sufficient staff to deal with applications as they were recieved. Assuming 2 days for mail each way for applicaton and return of card, AUSCHECK clearance, document administration I would be surpised if it could be done in under 2 weeks. Given the relative few that have the printing machines is a major factor that slows the process even those that do, like Aviation ID australia, are probably overwhlemed with the workload.

Chimbu's comment about the renewal being a simple database check is spot on but we will have to wait and see if the new Minister is going to listen to the industry and make some changes involving common sense. Some informal conversations I have had with the Department indicate that there will be some reviews of current requirements. I'm not holding my breath though that things will change quickly though.

Multime,
The introduction of or the legislation enforcing the use of ASICs is nothing to do with CASA. They are merely an issuing authority.

galdian
26th Jan 2008, 06:08
FTDK

Probably a moot point now however reporting as requested, apparently my ASIC arrived Thursday Jan 24th in registered envelope from the CASA ASIC Renewal Team.
I am away and letter unopened however I am assuming it is the card; surely any questions they had would be sent ordinary post??

Cheers
galdian

ForkTailedDrKiller
26th Jan 2008, 07:39
Good one Galdian

Jan 7-24 = 17 days

I sent my paperwork on Jan 5 - still waiting!

If they find out I know Jaba bin Lower (see More Photos thread post #2445), I may be in strife!

galdian
26th Jan 2008, 11:44
Ahhhh - sorry FTDK

Maybe mixing me up with someone from a parallel universe??

Posted off week before Xmas so maybe 5/6 weeks??

Cheers
galdian :ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
26th Jan 2008, 12:03
"I sent my application to CASA. On Jan 7th ....."

Sorry Galdian - I misread your post!

5/6 weeks it is!

Jabawocky
26th Jan 2008, 12:05
Jaba bin lower.....................

Not me:uhoh:

Must be a fella from the sandy places with a name similar!

Dont stitch me up now:ouch:

J

Chimbu chuckles
27th Jan 2008, 05:45
Actually it's Bin Lower's long estranged cousin Jaba Bin Knuckledragger...known to his friends and family as Knuck but to the international spy (I refuse to use 'Intelligence' in this context) agencies as 'Ledragger' for his perchant for wearing dresses.:E

Wingsfalloff
27th Jan 2008, 06:42
I just recieved in the mail my ASIC application from Aviation ID with a note saying they need a "certified copy of your pilots licence" over 2 weeks after i sent my renewal application. I admit I overlooked it while filling in the application however I have a few points.

1. A quick phone call would have saved significant time, in which i could have sent/faxed a copy of the licence. This would also eliminate the chance that my application and "certified copies" could get lost.

2. It is a renewal. I assume they checked that I had a licence last time I got an ASIC(my ASIC does have my ARN printed on it)

3. My ARN was on the form. If CASA has empowered Aviation ID I would have thought they'd have access to some basic information.

My current ASIC expires at the end of February. I thought 6 weeks would have been enough to charge my credit card, do the "security checks" and print out a peice of red plastic. Here I am with 4 weeks til it expires and I am still no closer.

When is this circus going to leave town?

Chadzat
27th Jan 2008, 08:47
I'm starting to get a smidgeon worried. I may have left my run too late. My ASIC has an expiry of JAN08, so I was was GOING TO put in the renewal application before Christmas, but with the Christmas rush it got put off until The end of the first week of January- circa the 7th or 8th. Am I dreaming to get it back before it expires!!? :hmm:

Whats the go with wearing an expired ASIC with your application being processed if I get security checked!?

Jabawocky
27th Jan 2008, 09:27
Chad,

Dont know officially, but if you dont notice it, not much chance anyone else will.

J

Lasiorhinus
27th Jan 2008, 10:28
Seems a strange request, really, Wingsfalloff. Who's to say you even HAVE a pilots licence? There are many people who need ASICs who dont have pilots licences - ground crew etc - even that bloke who got an ASIC for his dog..

ForkTailedDrKiller
27th Jan 2008, 10:41
Chad

5/6 weeks seems to be the go if all goes well. I posted my paperwork on Jan 5 - have yet to hear or see anything. They took my money on Jan 16 (if I recall).

I did send the certified copy of my pilot's licence - that I previously paid good money to have my pic put on.

I suspect having an expired ASIC is better than no ASIC at all. If you get sprung, play dumb!

ItsOkMagsOff
27th Jan 2008, 23:58
My ASIC expires end of JAN (3days). Posted paperwork to CASA on 5th Dec,Aviation ID took payment from my credit card on 11th dec and still no card. Aviation ID advised it won't be delivered on time and were quite rude on the phone. My game plan is to just keep wearing the old one. Never had it checked before... Anyone else been caught short?

Chadzat
28th Jan 2008, 03:17
Ahh crap- I have no hope!!

Chimbu chuckles
28th Jan 2008, 04:48
Just keep wearing your old ones until the new one arrives...if pinged simply point out that you applied for renewal x mths ago and it hasn't arrived yet even though money was deducted from CC on y date.

They will not dare to make a huge issue and if by some stroke of luck you strike one who does just sit back, relax and let them wind themselves into a ball of stress...them actually delaying your flight would be an extra bonus...double bonus points if they delay you long enough to make it impossible to complete your rostered duty within legal FTLs.

When it gets to the part where your ability/right to earn a living has been restricted by their incompetence you watch them back down.

Lasiorhinus
28th Jan 2008, 07:17
When it gets to the part where your ability/right to earn a living has been restricted by their incompetence you watch them back down.

The problem is, the "their" you refer to is incompetence on the part of your ASIC issuing body - and DOTARS for requiring a phenomenally useless waste of effort - but the "them" who you expect to back down will be the security grunt at the airport - to whom the world is very black and white, and very very simple.

Jabawocky
28th Jan 2008, 08:06
They gotta notice first.........

I reckon thats about as much chance as winning lotto without a ticket!:}

J

Under Dog
28th Jan 2008, 08:23
Chatz
Posted mine on the 8th of Jan and had it back by the 23rd.
I thought this was good service considering my previous one took six
months.

Regards The Dog

MattAA
28th Jan 2008, 08:35
Hi guys I'm curious about the old ASIC do we need to hand it in sorry if this has been answered in previous posts
cheers

ForkTailedDrKiller
28th Jan 2008, 10:25
Yep, I think they want it back, so you can't sell it to Osama bin Somebody on the black market.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
29th Jan 2008, 00:48
If you are caught Airside with an expired ASIC then you will be escorted back to landside. If you make a fuss, you will probably instigate a paperwork trail that will get you fined. If DoTRS catch you, you will get fined anyway. The security guys (and some are goons I admit) are just doing their job. They are there to see that people are doing the right thing. If you knowingly display an expired ASIC you are not doing the right thing and deserve the consequences.
It is a condition of issue that expired ASIC's are returned to the issuing authority (see section 8 of the CASA Info sheet for Form 639), as in my companies case, the ASIC's are their property. If you have an ASIC, you have agreed to be bound by all this.
I know the system sucks, but we all have to live with it. I just got my renewed ASIC today (with 2 days to go - application, in full AGAIN, put in on 14th December). If it hadn't arrived, I couldn't have done my job. My company issues my ASIC. They are only following the stupid rules as well. There I am standing before them wearing a valid ASIC (that they issued), and I have to provide them with proof of ID (Passport/Birth certificate/Driver's Licence etc - all of which I produced 2 years ago to get my current ASIC) to receive my new one. When queried as to why wasn't my current ASIC good enough ID to use as it was sufficient to ID me Airside, they said that they don't make the rules.
That's the problem. The people who make the rules, not the ones who administer them.

Pinky the pilot
29th Jan 2008, 01:10
they said that they don't make the rules.

And that is precisely the problem Traffic. In this case the rules were made, I suspect, by a group of shiney-bum chairborne bureaucrats, safely ensconced in some office in Canberra.:yuk:

Remember that the Government has to be seen to be dealing with the problem of airport security and like governments and bureaucracies everywhere, the solution to a problem is generally to make it difficult for those people whose work in the aviation industry.

Not to mention 'though, gaining yet another way of raising revenue!!:mad:

ForkTailedDrKiller
29th Jan 2008, 01:19
24 days = 3.4 weeks = 0.8 months = 0.07 years

My ASIC arrived registered mail today (Jan 28) with the postie.

Paperwork posted to Aviation ID Australia on Jan 5.

Flying Binghi
29th Jan 2008, 01:19
There must be some positives to the ASIC ?

carbon
29th Jan 2008, 01:31
So an extract of entry of birth certificate was fine for initial issue, yet now for a renewal its not?:mad:

Requiring a "full birth certificate" (simply a births deaths and marriages cash cow scam in itself:ugh:)

Is it just me or is this a bit redundant!, my birth details have hardly changed in the last 2 years!:D

All in the name of "Security"

basementjaxx
29th Jan 2008, 01:32
G'day all...

Just FYI

I sent my application for initial issue of ASIC just before Christmas, but due to the break that most offices had over that period, it wasnt looked at until 3 Jan. Have just been told that my card has been sent and should arrive in a few days. Thats about 3.5 weeks. Not too shabby. Did it through Aviation ID Australia.

:D

BJ

Pinky the pilot
29th Jan 2008, 01:34
There must be some positives to the ASIC ?

I once heard a young pilot I worked with say that it may help pick up chicks but then again he would'nt want any chick who could be that gullible!:E

As for a serious answer to your question; I doubt it!

Valdiviano
29th Jan 2008, 05:37
I must be VERY, VERY clean. Posted application 9th Jan 2008, got it by registered post 24th Jan 2008. Maybe my money is better than yours.

werbil
29th Jan 2008, 09:11
Completed my application online about the 28th December with Aviation ID and posted documents the next day. Received the new ASIC today.

PyroTek
29th Jan 2008, 10:50
SPL issued 4 Dec 07... i guess i posted the application about 2 weeks before...
reading msn chat logs about it, I think i posted the application around the 18th of November.

Still waiting for ASIC..
I got home from Italy today expecting it to be there... but... yeah..so thats over 2 months gone by (I posted the application for SPL/ASIC to CASA..).
Ill keep y'all up to date.

No Word on the status of the ASIC either.

Is there a number I can phone to inquire about the status of my ASIC?

Chadzat
4th Feb 2008, 04:38
Got mine today.

Posted 10th or 11th Jauary
Recieved 4th February

VERY happy with Aviation ID Australia.

ForkTailedDrKiller
4th Feb 2008, 04:45
Got mine today.

So tell us Chadzat, what did you do for ASIC on Feb 1, 2 and 3?

Flying Binghi
4th Feb 2008, 04:47
So... apparently, the ASIC serves no purpose what so-ever... except to waste peoples time and money.

Chadzat
4th Feb 2008, 06:54
Oh Doc, I still went to work- but kept my Dr Martins at least 1cm from any airside zone at all times. As my Boss is the understanding type- I was still paid full wages for not actually flying any aircraft because as we all know if I had put a foot onto that tarmac, the big red light in CASA HQ would have gone off letting them know that my little red card had gone into 'the zone' while 2 days expired. SAS troops and Tiger attack helicopters would have then appeared from behind the NJS hangar and I would have been shot in situ. My photo would then be on the front cover of every national newspaper the next day with the headline "CONSIRACY TO CONDUCT TERROR" and a photo of a PA31 with cruise missiles attached (computer altered file photo of course). My life would be over. :ugh:

If you must know Doc- I flew each of those days! :}

To clear up any mis-quoting of government organisations :* replace CASA with dotars in my short jocular conversation...I mean rant

Islander Jock
4th Feb 2008, 07:22
I really wish people would stop going on about CASA and ASICs in the same breath.:ugh::ugh::ugh:

CASA do not legislate the ASIC requirement nor do they police it and from my experience, they couldn't care less about it. They are merely an issuing authority like every other security contolled airport in the country as well as airlines and other industry participants.

Flying Binghi
4th Feb 2008, 07:39
Chadzat was probably just having a joke...

but, Yes, it seems CASA gets blamed for more then it deserves.
There are many CASA people who are private pilots themselves and they seem to care about Oz Aviation.

ForkTailedDrKiller
4th Feb 2008, 07:49
"but, Yes, it seems CASA gets blamed for more then it deserves"

Not possible!

CASA, the disorganisation and some/many/most individuals within it, deserve all the crap we can dump on them!

Bring on the Royal Commission!

Flying Binghi
4th Feb 2008, 08:14
CASA, the disorganisation and some/many/most individuals within it, deserve all the crap we can dump on them!

FTDK.... Well, dont keep us in suspense... over to Jet Blast and tell us about your trails and tribulations with CASA.

Lasiorhinus
4th Feb 2008, 11:37
CASA could have, and SHOULD HAVE stood up to DOTARS and said "no - this is a waste of time and we will not permit it".

They didnt, and instead started accepting peoples money for the bloody things. Thats tantamount to being an accessory. Bad CASA.

In other news, my first ASIC was issued by CASA, but when it expired, I renewed it through my local airport. CASA never contacted me for a return of the expired card, so rather than just post it back to them (who knows WHO might open the envelope once it gets to Woden!), I think I'll hold on to it until they actually request it, and provide a means for me to return it to them that is at least as secure as how they gave it to me.

Perhaps I should entrust it to Qantas security in Mascot, then tell CASA it's "available for collection between 9am and 4pm, weekdays".

Islander Jock
5th Feb 2008, 03:36
Lasiothorus,
I'm sorry but I can't understand your way of thinking regarding this. CASA probabably didn't want to become an issuing authority for ASICs any more than I or the other airport operators around the country did. We had it shoved down our throats. I can tell you without fear of contradiction that most of the delays in getting ASICs processed and back to applicants are well and truly out of the issuing bodies hands.

To suggest anyone could or should have said "no - this is a waste of time and we will not permit it". is in dire need of a reality check.

Yes you can hold onto your expired ASIC or pursue any other childish games you may like but remember that should your name be flagged on the AUSCHECK system for ANY reason, and that includes non-compliance with ASIC legislation, you might find your current card being cancelled and return demanded. Then having to go through a lot of pus and pain to get it back all because of mis-directed anger.

PyroTek
5th Feb 2008, 05:23
Application send 18th November 2007
Recieved yesterday: 4th Feb 2008...

but hey...
YAY!!! my first ASIC, i'll take good care of it :).. Though with that photo it probably makes me look more like one of those 'bad people'.

Lasiorhinus
5th Feb 2008, 05:52
To suggest anyone could or should have said "no - this is a waste of time and we will not permit it". is in dire need of a reality check.

People should not be afraid of their governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people.

PyroTek
5th Feb 2008, 06:32
People should not be afraid of their governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people.

Brings back Memories of V for Vendetta...

Flying Binghi
5th Feb 2008, 07:22
Islander Jock,

You seem to be taking on the defence of the ASIC, so perhaps you could answer my question, re - What exactly does the ASIC achieve ?

I can understand your position as an airport operater and it being difficult to do anything about being lumped with the ASIC - considering most pilots meekly did as they were told.

PyroTek
5th Feb 2008, 08:20
an ASIC makes you look professional, and good, and makes people see that you are a pilot, which makes you GOD.

Islander Jock
5th Feb 2008, 08:49
Flying Binghi,
I don't think I am taking on defence of the ASIC requirement in principle rather just trying to quash some of the misconceptions around the issuing process. Unfortunately there are a few steps in the system which would allow each organisation to point the finger elsewhere to lay blame for the inordinate delays.
Sure the system is flawed as are several other elements of the Aust Transport Security Regs and many of those have been discussed previously. But in light of the current security climate I believe there would be little likelihood of any government loosening the requirements. What we should be striving for are perhaps things like increasing ASIC validity from 2 to 5 years and lowering the cost.

Lasiorhinus,
Yes mate in a perfect world the government should be afraid of the people who elect it to power. In this situation though, perhaps a greater number of those people demand to see that the govt is taking appropriate security measures for their protection. Despite the fact that those of us at the coal face see that many of those measures ineffective, unnecessary or just plain stupid.

PyroTek,
over two and a half months from date of submission to actual receipt:eek::eek:
The quickest organisation should be AviationID Australia as they are one of the few that are an issuing authority and have their own printing equipment. Many of the other organisations that have the equipment will print cards on behalf of other authorities but only process applications for people directly employed with them. Hence the reason CASA was lumbered with processing pilot ASICs. Whether CASA invested the small fortune required for the printer, I'm not sure.

There is perhaps another alternative to issuing ASICs on the horizon. How much the cost will be per card is unknown at this stage but they are determined to get the things out quickly and with AUSCHECK having better turnaround times for security clearances it might be more attractive to the pilot fraternity. But yes you WILL still have to submit the same identification paperwork with each application. That is the Department of Infrastructure's (formerly DOTARS) ruling and not the issuing bodies.

Lasiorhinus
5th Feb 2008, 08:56
Lasiothorus,

OK, I'll take the bait. I dont get it.

agcatman
7th Feb 2008, 04:53
Just got my initial issue of ASIC card. It took just under 3 weeks from application and they had to check NZ records. They seem to be getting their act together!:D

burna
9th Feb 2008, 08:28
All this complaining about how long it takes for your cards to arrive.:confused:

I would have thought the real issue is, why are pilots paying for their own cards?

You guys are crazy!:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Baggage handlers and airport staff aren't paying for their cards.

What has the AFAP been doing in the past decade, not a hell on a lot by the looks of the award pay scales!

Gear Down & Welded
10th Feb 2008, 01:10
burna,

Some contract airline staff are also paying for their ASIC's. :sad:

Bugger paying for the ASIC... $182 every 2 years is cheap... paying 30+k for an endorsement is crazy! Besides that if the company pays (and they don't happen to be an issuing authority themselves.. ie airlines) then they can ask you give back what is essentially 'their' ASIC when you cease employment there... meaning that at the next operator you are effectively grounded for 4 weeks whilst the new one is done! At the major airports they tend to put the company name at the bottom of the ASIC, so I doubt company ABC would let you run around with an ASIC with their name on it when you are now working for company XYZ! := If the company IS an issuing authority then they MUST get the ASIC back when you finish, as according to them you no longer require the card for 'valid work related purposes' and the issuing authority is responsible for all cards it issues.

Incidentally, and back to the original gist of the thread... got mine last week only took around 2 weeks from posting off... that was using AVID. :D

Flying Binghi
10th Feb 2008, 01:56
Islander Jock,

Whats your reasoning for wanting to extend the ASIC validity from 2 to 5 years ?

Gear Down & Welded
10th Feb 2008, 03:44
Whats your reasoning for wanting to extend the ASIC validity from 2 to 5 years ?

For a start FB, that's how long the MSIC lasts... what makes port workers and ship drivers less dangerous than airport staff and pilots?? OK they can only do a few knots, but you can get a lot more dodgy stuff onto a ship than an aircraft!

airmuster
10th Feb 2008, 04:06
I think the costs associated with renewing the ASIC is absurd.

My 10 year Passport cost me around $200.00
My 5 year Drivers Licence costs around $115.00

Yet my 2 year ASIC costs $182.00

I've got some friends out in the bush that only bring their aircraft into the airport about 2-3 times a year, and they have to foot this nonsense as well.

flog
10th Feb 2008, 08:37
FYI - my renewal took 3 weeks, woah to go.

talespin
10th Feb 2008, 10:15
airmuster
My 10 year Passport cost me around $200.00
My 5 year Drivers Licence costs around $115.00

Yet my 2 year ASIC costs $182.00

But for that $182 you also get a few Govt background checks thrown in! When was the last time the Feds peeked under your covers before handing over your DL?? :E

TLAW
10th Feb 2008, 21:11
Renewing mine now. One question on the form had me a little confused, though.

Why do you require an ASIC?

Hmmm...

Really had me stumped, actually.

bentleg
10th Feb 2008, 22:54
One question on the form had me a little confused, though.
Why do you require an ASIC?

"As a PPL holder I need to access security controlled airports".

Worked for me.....

TLAW
10th Feb 2008, 23:42
Bentleg

The answer I first thought of was "I need an ASIC because you c$%&ts told me I needed one."

airmuster
11th Feb 2008, 00:23
Talespin

I suppose they hand out passports to anyone do they...... without the security check???????????????

When they first bought out the ASIC cards, wasn't a renewal only going to cost around the $92.00 mark?? or have we been juped again.

DickyPearse
11th Feb 2008, 02:03
Renewal in 3 weeks via CASA. Better than expected.

Jabawocky
11th Feb 2008, 02:09
you must have been a good Dicky!:D

J:ok:

Arm out the window
11th Feb 2008, 10:34
This may have been covered before, but:
Did mine the other day - confused by the discrepancy about who can certify your documents and photos (ASA website lists about a squillion different people, ID renewal form says only JP or Airport manager), so I rang the Airservices help line.

Helpful girl says:
"Yes, you can use the one with the long list, you know, where it just about goes down to your dog".
Good to see a sense of humour, made the process a little less nauseating.

Gear Down & Welded
12th Feb 2008, 02:53
Before I renewed mine, both myself and a friend rang our AVID and CASA respectively for clarification of who can sign the docs.

CASA ASIC docs can be signed off by almost anyone still alive... AVID apparently has a much smaller list due to restrictions imposed by DOTARS (or whatever they are called this week).

Not a bad little discrepancy when you figure that AVID is processing them all now anyways?? :ugh:

What's that you say, CASA still issues some... yeah maybe CASA staff, but the address on the public renewal docs that you send away to is in Merimbula... CASA not there last time I checked... but AVID is! :mad:

Any probs with who can sign off on AVID docs, ring Greg @ AVID in MIM, 1800 306 739 if your airport manager is on the list they can certify the stuff for the ASIC paperwork :ok:

Lando Calrissian
3rd Mar 2008, 22:33
Three and a half months from receiving my application and I am still waiting for my ASIC :mad:

Lasiorhinus
4th Mar 2008, 05:17
Has your credit card been billed yet?

Hasselhof
4th Mar 2008, 05:28
Sent in my forms and credit card payment to CASA in mid Jan and got the card in at the start of the last week of Feb. Not exactly record breaking but not unbearable either. Now I just have to wait a year so I can get a better photo that makes me look less of an axe murderer.

blow.n.gasket
4th Mar 2008, 05:39
Why?
With a photo like that you'll be a shoe in for a management position.:}

jbr76
4th Mar 2008, 07:18
I ask the question, why would you go through CASA when you can go through an establishment like Aviation ID Australia and you can get your ASIC within weeks not months, unlike CASA .... :ugh:

Ive just applied for my initial ASIC through Aviation ID Australia and the clock is ticking ... Will give details on how quickly it was processed once I receive my card in the mail :ok:

Lando Calrissian
5th Mar 2008, 00:06
My application was through Aviation ID Australia. Arrived in the mail today.

jmoody
5th Mar 2008, 00:54
I sent my asic renewal on the 11 of NOV 07.. four months later im still waiting.. everytime i ring them (alot) i get the same response.. "still being processed" :ugh:

ForkTailedDrKiller
5th Mar 2008, 01:02
sent my asic renewal on the 11 of NOV 07.. four months later im still waiting.. everytime i ring them (alot) i get the same response.. "still being processed" :ugh:

Its probably that visit you made to Uncle Ozharma that's the problem!

Islander Jock
5th Mar 2008, 06:32
FTDK is right,
Two years working in Afghanistan with numerous trips home obviously flagged me up for a closer look when I put my renewal pplication in. Notwithstanding the fact that I was already processing AISC applications for others myself.:ugh:.
Four months though is bloody outrageous. Unfortunately you will only ever get the standard response - "still with checking partners". Do yourself a favour and keep a copy of your application and evrything else with you when you fly. If you do happen to get pulled up by security they should listen to reason.

jbr76
31st Mar 2008, 06:21
Application sent via registered post on 16th Feb. Waited 7 days for confirmation of delivery (extra fee paid for service with registered post), no confirmation received in mail. Sent email on 27th of Feb to ASIC processing establishment inquiring as to whether they have received my application in the mail. Reply received same day stating that they had not received my application. :hmm:

Further investigation via AusPost revealed my registered mail had been delivered in full to destination post office in NSW. Rang ASIC processing establishment and made enquiries as to what was going on (getting concerned as there is plenty enough information in that registered mail envelope for someone to steal my identity) and I was told that according to their system they have not received any such application. I informed them that according to AusPost's tracking details on their system, it was delivered in full to their nominated postal office in NSW and had been collected.

I rang AusPost again to arrange a delivery confirmation slip with signature to be mailed to me confirming delivery but in the interim received a call from ASIC processing establishment informing me that they had located my application, which was sitting in someone's in-tray in their too hard basket, due to me sending down a certified copy of my birth extract which they did not accept. :ugh:

So, I ask myself the question (a) Why was my application not registered on their system on arrival and (b) Why was I not informed there was a problem with it? It took me to call them to find out there was an issue with the documentation ... if I had never called it would have still been sitting in the so called in-tray/too hard basket. :*

According to my credit card statement, my credit card has been debited the full amount for ASIC on 06/03. It is now 31/03 and nothing in the mail yet. I was under the impression that they should only charge your credit card once the application has been approved and is ready for processing and delivery?

Because I made a fuss with above ASIC establishment earlier in the part, am I now being punished by being charged my fee without even having my card? :confused:

Any suggestions kindly welcome

TLAW
31st Mar 2008, 06:54
Three weeks for mine...no complaints, except the cost:mad:.

My medical, on the other hand...

I think they bill you as a matter of course as soon as they get the application. When and whether you get the card is another matter entirely. Is this legal? I'm not sure. Before they process your application, how can they even say you will be eligible to hold an ASIC? If your application is rejected, for whatever reason, do they refund the money? I would have thought the most logical process would be to charge you for the card last, rather than first.

Would it be worth writing your local member, and/or the Minister for Transport?

Agreed 4 months is ridiculous - your MP's office should be get to the bottom of exactly what the hold up is, if they are doing their job properly. :ok:

Flying Binghi
31st Mar 2008, 07:27
If your going to all the trouble of writing to the minister - ask what exactly does the ASIC achieve ?... apart from wasting peoples time and money and profiting the people who process the ASICs.

Islander Jock
31st Mar 2008, 10:16
Flying Binghi,
First rule in trying to get a government department on side is to take any emotion out of your argument.
Asking questions like "what does it achieve" and sweeping statements like "wasting people's time and money" etc will ensure you receive nothing more than a stock standard form letter from someone in the Office of Transport Security.

Common causes for delays in processing are firstly, on receiving the Auscheck clerance. Do you or have you had:
A criminal conviction,
Frequent overseas travel,
A pending case before the courts.
Related to someone who is on ASIO's radar
If the answer to any of these is yes, you can expect a delay in the process. Auscheck only coordinates the procedure, the actual checks involve a number of police and government bodies.

Further delays can occur with printing of the cards as the equipment has a limited ability and can only print less than 10 cards per hour. Put breakdowns into the equation and a backlog can soon occur.

As for profiteering by Issuing Bodies. When you consider that the Auscheck clearances costs $86.00 ($76.00 for renewal). Capital outlay for a complete card printing system is in the vicinity of $40,000. The time taken in processing the application, record keeping etc etc etc. I don't think you could accuse an IB of making a bundle out of ASICs. Some IBs actually charge less than the usual $180 but they only supply to limited numbers of people such as those working for or known by their organisation.

JBR76,
If the issuing body processing your card is able to print the card as soon as they receive the clearance, you should not lose out on the 2 year validity. It can be confusing when they debit your credit card straight away but take another month or so to get the card to you.

I am not saying I like the ASIC arrangements or trying to make apologies for the delays. Just telling it like it is.

jbr76
31st Mar 2008, 10:59
Thanks for that info I.J!

Much appreciated :ok:

Jabawocky
31st Mar 2008, 12:22
Apology accepted.

Still a W.O.F.T.A.M.

J:ok:

jbr76
1st Apr 2008, 06:54
Application sent via registered post on 16th Feb. Waited 7 days for confirmation of delivery (extra fee paid for service with registered post), no confirmation received in mail. Sent email on 27th of Feb to ASIC processing establishment inquiring as to whether they have received my application in the mail. Reply received same day stating that they had not received my application.

Further investigation via AusPost revealed my registered mail had been delivered in full to destination post office in NSW. Rang ASIC processing establishment and made enquiries as to what was going on (getting concerned as there is plenty enough information in that registered mail envelope for someone to steal my identity) and I was told that according to their system they have not received any such application. I informed them that according to AusPost's tracking details on their system, it was delivered in full to their nominated postal office in NSW and had been collected.

I rang AusPost again to arrange a delivery confirmation slip with signature to be mailed to me confirming delivery but in the interim received a call from ASIC processing establishment informing me that they had located my application, which was sitting in someone's in-tray in their too hard basket, due to me sending down a certified copy of my birth extract which they did not accept.

So, I ask myself the question (a) Why was my application not registered on their system on arrival and (b) Why was I not informed there was a problem with it? It took me to call them to find out there was an issue with the documentation ... if I had never called it would have still been sitting in the so called in-tray/too hard basket.

According to my credit card statement, my credit card has been debited the full amount for ASIC on 06/03. It is now 31/03 and nothing in the mail yet. I was under the impression that they should only charge your credit card once the application has been approved and is ready for processing and delivery?

Because I made a fuss with above ASIC establishment earlier in the part, am I now being punished by being charged my fee without even having my card?

Any suggestions kindly welcome

Update: 01/04/08 I received a registered mail collection advice from AusPost, and to my surprise it was my ASIC card :D

So ... It was sent 16/02/08 .. it is now 01/04/08 and it's in my hand. So we're talking just under a couple of months. I wonder if I would have done any better going down the CASA route :yuk:

Tibbsy
1st Apr 2008, 09:18
Mine is in with Aviation ID Australia. Posted overnight on Fri so should've been there yesterday.

Anyone had a renewal from Aviation ID Aust in a 21 days turnaround?

Ex FSO GRIFFO
3rd Apr 2008, 02:16
Posted in Tue 4/3/08
Credit card debited tues 11/3/08 - $186
Received today Thur 3/4/08
30 days.........

Thanks Guys and Gals:ok:

But, why oh why??? That is the question......:}

QF2
3rd Apr 2008, 06:18
I sent mine early March, and got a phone call a week later because they were having trouble processing the payment with my credit card for some reason. Today (over two weeks after billing) I called up to ask how it is coming along, and was informed after the lady looked it up in the system, "Oh, it will be posted first thing tomorrow morning." Wonder if it would still have been posted tomorrow morning if i didn't call... :ugh:

Lasiorhinus
3rd Apr 2008, 06:48
To those enquiring about the logic to debiting your credit card before the security check is carried out, remember that the fee is not for purchasing the card - the fee is for carrying out the security check. The card itself is just a way of identifying those who have passed the check.

If you are denied an ASIC based on the results of the security check (does anyone know of anyone who's ever been denied one?), they are not obliged to refund your money, because the security check you paid for has been carried out.

Islander Jock
3rd Apr 2008, 07:23
Lasiorhinus,
The total cost of the card is not only for Auscheck clearance but also for the printing of the card and the time and effort taken in processing the application by the issuing body. The high cost of printing the card can be directly attributed to the fact that the printing equipment costs in the vicinity of $40K.
You are correct about the clearance payment. It has to be paid whether a clearance is granted or not. Sort of like a dealing with a bookie at the racetrack.

Stats for clearances being declined for ASICs are relatively low.... compared to those applying for MSICs. :E

Flying Binghi
3rd Apr 2008, 14:46
Islander Jock,

I am starting to warm to this ASIC idea. I couldnt think of a better advertisement to show up some of the dim-witted so called anti terrorism ideas introduced during the Howard years.
I am yet to find anybody out side of this forum who thinks the ASIC system will have any effect apart from making our security agencies look silly.
All an ASIC does is make the wearers family a target.

Islander Jock
3rd Apr 2008, 22:57
I am yet to find anybody out side of this forum who thinks the ASIC system will have any effect apart from making our security agencies look silly.
you may well be right but guess what? Like it or hate it - ASICs are here to stay. Emotive comments on this forum will make not one iota of difference in the goverments thinking on this. Perhaps you could put some of the energy that you expend here in writing to the Dept of Infrastructure expressing your concerns and highlighting why variious aspects of the Act and Regs are inappropriate. I know I do. ;)

ForkTailedDrKiller
3rd Apr 2008, 23:54
I hold a valid ASIC! Submitted the paperwork, paid my money - and my ASIC was issued.

I have been thoroughly investigated (one would hope - given that this is what ASICs are all about) and shown to have no obvious terrorist tendancies or affiliations with OzHarma and his mates.

SO WHY THE F*CK DO I HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALL THAT SECURITY CRAP TO GET ON AN AEROPLANE?

All I should have to do is flash my ASIC and get waved through.

The above is a little tongue-in-cheek, but you really gotta laugh when you see a Capt, in uniform, ASIC displayed - being swabbed for explosives!

It must drive the crews crazy going through all this crap, all the time!

PS:

Islander Jock
4th Apr 2008, 00:06
but you really gotta laugh when you see a Capt, in uniform, ASIC displayed - being swabbed for explosives!

Doc, agree 100% with that one. Totally ridiculous and achieves nothing should a Pilot decide to pull the throttles and push fwd on the stick. Not to mention other means at his disposal.

That is just one of the more dumber aspects of this security regime that should be looked at and reviewed. Only put into place to give the rest of the travelling public a warm and fuzzy.

As for an ASIC being a board-without-screening pass. I don't necessarily agree with that idea especially when people with far better credentials than just holding an ASIC are subject to the same rules.

ForkTailedDrKiller
4th Apr 2008, 00:26
I had my laser pointer (the little red dot kind - used in presentations) confiscated at the security checkpoint the other day. They spotted it in my briefcase on X-ray.

"OK Trolly Dolly, tell the Capt to fly me to ..... Ah......Oh what the heck, New Zealand, or I will highlight some of your most/least (cross out whichever doesn't apply) features to the pax - with my laser pointer!"

Jabawocky
4th Apr 2008, 00:57
Since when has your laser pointer been a Confiscatable item in your carry on luggage?

I am not sure thats allowed! Should get em to send it back and with an apology.

Is there a list of what is good to go or what is NOT?

J

Islander Jock
4th Apr 2008, 01:26
Jaba,
Definitely not listed in the regs as one of the prohibited items. That's not to say however that after the events of the last week in Sydney and subsequent emergency meetings with CASA, Dept of Infrastructure and state and federal police that immediate direction to screening authorities to ban the items has been given.

On the other hand, could be just another over zealous security screener who took it upon himself or herself to do their bit for aviation security after seeing the news on TV.

TLAW
4th Apr 2008, 13:06
Surely the laser pointer is safer on the plane than on the ground? :}

Tibbsy
30th Apr 2008, 04:32
Clock's ticking
Mine is in with Aviation ID Australia. Posted overnight on Fri so should've been there yesterday.

Anyone had a renewal from Aviation ID Aust in a 21 days turnaround?

Good grief! Back in 24 days...

Well done Avn ID Australia but crikey, is it really worth it?:confused:

SHAGGS
8th May 2008, 00:00
Does anyone know what the turn around time for a ASIC renewal is at the moment ?

PlankBlender
9th Dec 2008, 01:23
Posted renewal application 26/11, delivery confirmation signed by CASA in Merimbula 1/12, just received the new ASIC today, turn around time door to door less than two weeks :D

povopilot
9th Dec 2008, 06:28
I hope that it is that quick....

I got a call from the CASA ASIC renewal team about a week ago and it went like this:

CASA: Hello we have just noticed that your ASIC is due to expire in a few weeks and we have not recieved your renewal form

Me: Oh I didn't realise it was going to expire, where did you send the renewal form?

CASA: We sent it to XXX

Me: Oh okay i have not lived there for over two years and have updated my mailing address with CASA twice since then. Why would you send it there?

CASA: Oh i don't know, sometimes we don't get updated details from CASA in Canberra. I can send you a renewal form if you like.

Me: Thanks, by the time i recieve it, fill it out, get a photo and send it back, and then you issue me a new one the old one will have well and truly expired.

CASA: Oh sorry about that, have a nice day.

F**kwits.

povopilot

P.s I know that it has DEC08 written in massive writing on the actual card but seeing as it lives in my headset bag all the time i did not realise it was expiring.

Biggles_in_Oz
9th Dec 2008, 06:38
Lemme deconstruct Plankbenders post.

Posted on 26-Nov, delivery signed-for on 1-Dec, so that's 2 and bit working days and a weekend to get to the processing centre.

Card arrives on 9-Dec, therefore was posted 8-Dec or possibly 5-Dec. (allright, it might have been posted 7-Dec if they have sunday pickup)

Therefore it took between 5 and 8 days (assuming ASIO and AFP work weekends) to do all the checking, print the card and get it ready for despatch.

Apart from reviewing electronic records, just much usefull checking can any organisation do in that amount of time ?

Bah.., humbug.., the ASIC is still a piece of political crud which does nothing to actually 'improve' GA security in any realistic sense.

Flying Binghi
9th Dec 2008, 07:26
The badys have moved on to hitting resturants now anyway - perhaps we need a 'Diners ASIC' :rolleyes:

Howard Hughes
21st Jan 2009, 03:24
Does anyone know what the turn around time for a ASIC renewal is at the moment ?
Applied 18th December.
Received 21st January.

Fastest ever, bar none!:ok:

ReverseFlight
9th Jan 2010, 06:18
I just printed out my ASIC application form, checked it and then pressed the "submit" button to be greeted by this message - does anyone know why this happens and whether it has gone through to Aviation ID Aus ? Don't want to end up paying them twice.

Server Error in '/Application' Application. Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster.

ForkTailedDrKiller
9th Jan 2010, 06:52
Kinda hard to believe that it is 2 years since I started this thread!

But here we go again.

Posted the paperwork to renew my ASIC to Aviation ID Australia on Tuesday (5 January), 2 years to the day since the last time.

This still has to be the dumbest system around.

Sent new certified passport size photos - I haven't changed much!

Sent a certified copy of my new fancy passport - obtained with a lot less fuss and bother than this drivel.

Sent a new certified copy of the same driver's licence that I sent a certified copy of last time.

Sent a copy of the latest rendition (including crappy photo ID) of the same pilot's licence that I have held for the last 37 years.

Gave the same address that I have lived at for the last 24 years.

Given that I have not engaged in any terrorist activities since last time, I expect minimal delay with the renewal.

Will post when the new one arrives.

tasdevil.f27
9th Jan 2010, 07:20
Had mine within 2 weeks of sending the paperwork just before xmas. Couldn't complain with the service this time.

kingRB
9th Jan 2010, 08:39
I have my first renewal coming up with my current ASIC expiring March.

Can anyone suggest what an appropriate time to start the renewal process via Aviation ID Australia is?

Obviously dont want to be with an expired ASIC waiting for the renewal to come, but I also dont want them to jip me a month if I did the right thing and sent the renewal in 4 weeks or so early.

pile-it
9th Jan 2010, 09:13
I recently did my ASIC renewal online with AVID and had the same error problem. I was using Firefox browser. I later found on the AVID website that only IE browser is supported. Redone on IE - no problems encountered then.

Regards

ReverseFlight
9th Jan 2010, 10:16
Hey pile-it, thanks. I did use IE, still wondering what my problem was. As I said, I don't want them to swipe my card twice ! Mine expires Feb 2010 so I guess I need to move quickly.

Unhinged
9th Jan 2010, 11:00
IE has a "compatibility mode" which you need to switch on. There's a button, but I don't remember where; IE is a pile of poo and the only time I used it in recent history was for my last ASIC renewal. When I ran across this problem, I phoned AviationID and they talked me through the solution.

6 months ago it took 2 weeks from posting the application to receiving the new card - much more like it !

tasdevil.f27
10th Jan 2010, 08:33
Hi kingRB,

I used Aviation ID & took 2 weeks from the day I sent off the paperwork. I got in a month early just in case they were really slow. But was pleasantly surprised at how quick they were!

frigatebird
10th Jan 2010, 20:00
Likewise. Needed a new one by the middle of November, so sent the papers in a fortnight too soon it seems, expecting delays, and got docked a month from the two year period. Havn't had anyone in authority actually come up close and look at the photo to check it really is me yet. (Terrible photo anyway, was scowling when it was taken because I had to go through the rigmarole and pay again so soon.)

kingRB
11th Jan 2010, 10:09
thanks guys. Might take my chances and send it off in the second week of March and see what happens

ReverseFlight
11th Jan 2010, 14:02
Thanks for all your interest, guys.

I am told that the error message is spurious and the "submit" button has done its job, in case anyone else encounters the same problem.

ForkTailedDrKiller
20th Jan 2010, 07:52
New ASIC arrived today.

That's 15 days!

Track5milefinal
20th Jan 2010, 08:33
New ASIC arrived today.
That's 15 days!

NEW WORLD RECORD!!

Wish my licence would come through that quick 2 weeks and counting and possibly another 5 months waiting!:}:{

PPRuNeUser0161
20th Jan 2010, 21:28
Posted my application to CASA 20th October, CASA stamped it recieved on Nov 1st. Recieved the card on January 7th. Real fast guy's and not a very nice ride for me considering my last one expired at the end of NOV.

Next time i'll use someone else.
SN

Stikybeke
21st Jan 2010, 20:05
15 Days Dr?

Mine expires this month so I submitted my renewal at the start of Dec09. They didn't take any money from my credit card until 07 Jan 10 (that's 15 days today) so hopefully mine might turn up soon......

On another note though, yesterday I got a new credit card from my bank (St George) even though I hadn't ordered one and it wasn't due for replacement (didn't expire until 2011).

I rang to enquire and apparently even though I hadn't been ripped off with any money I'd been identified as a potential victim to this current card skimming scam as I'd used the card at a location somewhere, sometime, (location and date not disclosed by bank due to privacy stuff) that had recently been identified as having a credit card machine there that had been compromised (whatever that means....).

Oh well, the new card works and I've destroyed the old one.....Has this happened to anyone else yet?

I'm on a roll.....

Stiky
:eek:

Zaephod
22nd Jan 2010, 04:55
I sent in my application in early December and recieved a letter form ASIC just before I left OS that they would not issue my ASIC because I didn't have a current Medical, I phoned their office and discussed the benefits of ASIC V's AVID and was told they were all issued from the same office, if I wanted to save a few Dollars they would pass the application to the next desk and my card would come back without the CASA logo on the bottom instead of whatever is on an AVID.

YPJT
22nd Jan 2010, 06:36
sent in my application in early December and recieved a letter form ASIC I assume you mean CLARC.

WTF Since when has holding a current medical had anything to do with establishing operational requirement to hold an ASIC?

I reiterate again for those who have not heard my rantings before on this matter. DO NOT GO TO CASA FOR YOUR ASIC. They are bureaucratic, incompetent, do not know the rules and are incredibly slow in the process.

You have been bum drummed mate. An AVID is of no use to you whatsoever in gaining unescorted access to a security controlled aerodrome.

Yes an ASIC is pretty well a useless piece of crap too but that is another story. :E
... breathe in ... and out.... and in.... and out....
OK I feel better now.

PyroTek
22nd Jan 2010, 10:23
DO NOT GO TO CASA FOR YOUR ASIC
Here here!

I actually did send my ASIC application to CASA, get a call from Aviation ID australia saying "this is missing from your application, we can send your application back to casa to sort out, or you can just send us a copy of your license by email and we will process it as soon as we get the copy. an extra 4 weeks or 1 week, your choice"

Guess what I chose. I now have no CASA logo on my ASIC card.:ok:

Stikybeke
24th Jan 2010, 01:17
Well my ASIC turned up on Friday arvo....after I posted re this topic!!! I guess like the Dr said, 15 days (for me that was after they took the money....)

As for the card skimming scam....I pursued this further on Friday as well and found out that the card machine at McDonalds at Miranda Fair in South Sydney had been substituted. I'd used my card there a few days later but fortunately hadn't been ripped off..hence the new card, new pin number etc......the guy at St George I spoke to on the phone told me that this was a very sophisticated operation and advised me to tell everyone to change their pin numbers....funny that, the one before that wouldn't tell me Jack!! Maybe they've been instructed otherwise given the media etc....

So watch out everyone, this scam is very big (well in Sydney anyway....) and maybe think about changing your pin no's.....

Stiky
:suspect:

Zaephod
31st Jan 2010, 06:21
My thoughts exactly YPJT, they said without a valid Licence, which requires a medical I didn't have an operational need to have an ASIC, but I could have an AVID and my point was that they both come out of the same office.

ReverseFlight
16th Feb 2010, 01:42
Renewed ASIC card ready for collection at my local post office only 11 days after posting application to Merimbula - how's that for efficiency.

glekichi
16th Feb 2010, 05:50
Similar here. 10 days through Merimbula/CASA. Thats 10 days, not 10 working days! Credit where its due :ok:
They still stole a month though. JAN expiry even though I waited till FEB to send it... :mad:

ZappBrannigan
16th Feb 2010, 06:00
Since this thread's been bumped - what are the legal requirements regarding holding a current AVID? Going to get mine renewed soon as it's close to expiring - but unsure what it's actually for. Of course, we need to carry our licence and current medical when we fly, and wear an ASIC when in security controlled areas - does holding a current AVID form part of the legal requirement to carry your licence in flight? As the licence itself doesn't actually expire. Or is it another excuse for CASA to charge $170 for a few minutes' work?

YPJT
16th Feb 2010, 07:28
Zapp,
You need at least an AVID to fly but that does not allow you to have unescorted access at a security controlled airport. My understanding is if you have an ASIC you do not require an AVID.

Glekichi,
The reason you lost the month is because Auscheck moved the goal posts about a year ago. Your ASIC used to be valid until the end of the same month plus two years but on closer examination of the regs, they could only do it until the end of the previous month. Reason being, the ASIC does not display full date, only the month and the regs stated that a card could be valid for a maximum of two years from date of issue. Date of issue is taken from the day the Auscheck clearance is given to the issuing body. The White Paper addressed that issue to a degree and is going to make cards valid for two years from the date of security clearance. You will still lose a little bit of time whilst the card is printed but not as much as you can lose under the current system.

Overall, 10 days turnaround is pretty good. It is generally Auscheck and the agencies they rely on information from (crimtrack / ASIO / AFP) that stall the process the most. The issuing body cannot do a thing regarding processing an ASIC application or renewal until the clearance is received.

ZappBrannigan
16th Feb 2010, 08:44
Ahh, thanks, understood - so, considering I have an ASIC, I didn't need to give CASA $171 in the AVID renewal application I just sent off? Nice of them to tell me when I called enquiring about it. Bugger.

YPJT
16th Feb 2010, 08:54
Zapp, sorry buddy but you've been dudded. Remember when you speak to CLARC in CASA you are talking generally to junior office clerks who have not got the faintest idea of what they are doing. I could go on for hours citing instances of their monumental screwups. I know for a fact even Johnny Mac himself says that office needs to lift it's game.

ZappBrannigan
16th Feb 2010, 09:28
Thanks mate, I'll call them tomorrow and tell them to shred my application, wouldn't have arrived yet.

Thermal Bandit
16th Feb 2010, 10:21
Canberra Airport took 5 working days to renew my ASIC last month;
Dropped off the paperwork on Friday afternoon and picked up my new ASIC the following Friday.:ok:

YPJT
16th Feb 2010, 12:52
TB,
spot on mate, that is the way to do it. At the moment, every security controlled airport is an ASIC issuing body. Many will process your ASIC particularly if you are based at their airport, cheaper and faster than the thieving fools at CASA.:ok:

kingRB
11th Mar 2010, 22:04
Similar here. 10 days through Merimbula/CASA. Thats 10 days, not 10 working days! Credit where its due http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif
They still stole a month though. JAN expiry even though I waited till FEB to send it...Glekichi, just to confirm, this was your renewal for an original CASA issued ASIC but via the Aviation ID Aus renewal process they now have with the docs going to Merimbula?

I sent my renewal off to Merimbula for a CASA issued ASIC on 1 March, noticed Aviation ID Aus have debited the $186 fee to my card on March 8.

I'm hoping I am doing the same renewal you did and get it as fast.

Mine expires end of this month and recently found out I have to fly out of a security controlled airport April 1 for the whole of easter weekend... now getting very nervous if new ASIC will come in time :eek:

glekichi
12th Mar 2010, 02:37
Glekichi, just to confirm, this was your renewal for an original CASA issued ASIC but via the Aviation ID Aus renewal process they now have with the docs going to Merimbula?

Yeah thats right - same situation.
It sounds like there is still plenty of time so my guess is that you will be fine. :ok:

kingRB
19th Mar 2010, 11:06
well, success.

Sent 1/3
Billed 8/3
Renewal clearance received 3pm 16/3
New card printed and in the mail 5pm 16/3
Received 19/3

You just really cant be that for service (soon as they receive clearance new card in the mail same day) What a stark contrast to what goes on at CASA. The people on the phone there are actually enthusiastic, helpful and want to tell you where you are at in the process if you call and ask. Very comforting when you sweating on getting it in time.

Much love to Aviation ID Australia... :ok:

Counter-rotation
19th Mar 2010, 13:13
Over 9 weeks and still waiting...

CR.

aerofiredog
6th Dec 2016, 09:23
Does anyone know what the difference is between a red ASIC with white writing and one with black writing?

gerry111
6th Dec 2016, 11:27
Colour perhaps, aerofiredog?

(That thread resurrection must be some sort of a time record?)

cogwheel
6th Dec 2016, 12:19
No difference, just one is easier to read!

Arm out the window
6th Dec 2016, 19:47
Red ones work for any security controlled aerodrome, others are just for the place of issue I believe (?)

Lead Balloon
6th Dec 2016, 20:23
Black writing is for use East of the 0 variation Isogonal, and white writing is for use West of the 0 variation Isogonal. You can pull in at YSCR and do a swap.

YPJT
7th Dec 2016, 04:34
Red ones work for any security controlled aerodrome, others are just for the place of issue I believe (?)
Not exactly. A red ASIC is required for unescorted access within a Security Restricted Area (SRA). A grey ASIC is for other airside areas. Most ASICs though are produced as red except for some f the smaller regional airport specific ones and staff at larger airports who have no need to be on aprons such as those who work in cafes and airline lounges.

The black text on the red background was always a pain but the example in the regs was displayed that way. Many issuing bodies from the outset though produced cards with white font. In the next round of regulation changes, white will be specified for all ASICs (except white ASICS 😀)

gerry111
7th Dec 2016, 13:38
Lead Balloon,

I'm not so sure that you're entirely correct? You've clearly not factored in the Coriolis Effect.