PDA

View Full Version : RVSM - UK transition area?

smellysnelly2004
5th Jan 2008, 21:06
I have a question which has been bothering me today whilst try to revise for written/oral boards for NATS Advanced course. A standard o/b question is about whether you can allow a non-RVSM equipped a/c into RVSM airspace. Standard answer is only in an emergency then you have to apply 2000ft sep.
I have heard that the UK serves as a transition area to allow non-RVSM equipped transatlantic flights to climb above the RVSM/MNPS level to cruise across the Ocean, provided they are climbd continually and 2000ft sep applied. Can somebody please verify/clarify or correct this for me:confused::confused:
Thanks

6th Jan 2008, 11:59
From The Aip:

2.4 Except for State aircraft, RVSM approval is required for aircraft to operate in the RVSM airspace within the London and
Scottish UIR(s), as described in ENR 2.1.
2.5 Exceptionally, aircraft without RVSM approval operating in the North Atlantic Region airspace will be permitted to
climb/descend through RVSM airspace in the London and Scottish UIR(s) under specified conditions or as directed by ATC.

Can't find the conditions so far

radar information
6th Jan 2008, 16:05
I was under the impression that a non RVSM equipped a/c was allowed to climb/descend through RVSM airspace, just not allowed to cruise in it.