PDA

View Full Version : What happened at EGJJ yesterday?

illflyit
5th Jan 2008, 10:22
Can anyone advise what happened at EGJJ yesterday. Heard may have been a problem with a FlyBe 195, but also, at around 18:00, an E145 (i think) landed having held at low level for sometime to burn off fuel?

radiosutch
5th Jan 2008, 11:16
Cabin crew aboard a plane heading for Jersey this evening (Friday) used fire extinguishers when it was feared a fire had broken out in the hold.

It was later discovered that fumes had been coming from a faulty valve.

The plane with 74 passengers aboard landed safely and no one was hurt.

Airbourne-Adamski
5th Jan 2008, 12:30
Cabin crew aboard a plane heading for Jersey this evening (Friday) used fire extinguishers when it was feared a fire had broken out in the hold.

Not familiar with E145/95, Do cabin crew have some sort of special access to discharge extinguishers into the hold?

AltFlaps
5th Jan 2008, 14:00
No, cabin crew do not have any special access. The only recent FlyBE type that allowed cabin crew access to the hold in flight was the DHC-8-200, but I believe they have all gone back ...

manrow
5th Jan 2008, 14:27
Some viewed at Exeter recently but may not have been in service.

Airbourne-Adamski
5th Jan 2008, 15:47
The Dash 8 200, they were they days back in my flybe days lol.

I was just interested as I cant see how or why cabin crew would use BCF for a hold fire.
As cabin crew (not flybe) If smoke is detected through the cabin area which is suspected to becoming from the hold the we should place damp cloth items around the area to reduce smoke entering the cabin.

Could the original post not possibly mean flight crew discharged extinguishers in the hold if the a/c type E145/95 has this option?

monkey.tennis
5th Jan 2008, 16:25
it was a 195 and the flight crew fired the bottles.

modern monkey
5th Jan 2008, 17:21
Quote: "what happened at EGJJ yesterday?"

Why write EGJJ and not the name of the airport. Where is EGJJ? Why do people do this? Not all of us know the ICAO code for every airport in the uk!

ChristiaanJ
5th Jan 2008, 17:52
Why write EGJJ and not the name of the airport? Where is EGJJ? Why do people do this? Not all of us know the ICAO code for every airport in the uk!Thanks for that remark!
Of course, using the ICAO airport code makes you sound like an "insider".....
Since I've never flown into Jersey, and never had anything to do with the place, I had exactly the same reaction.....
Of course, Google "airport code EGJJ" will instantly bring up the location anyway, but why having to bother?

LHR, CDG, JFK, LAX... OK we all know those.... but EGJJ?
Most people are familiar with the IATA codes (JER for Jersey Airport, if you're interested), which are also more "mnemonic".
Using the ICAO code is just "showing off".

You think it isn't? OK, quote me the ICAO codes for TLS and MPL without looking them up (no cheating).

perkin
5th Jan 2008, 17:53
Why write EGJJ and not the name of the airport.

Just put the ICAO code into google and it will reveal all! The very fact you do not know this airport code would suggest you have nothing to contribute to this thread anyway...sorry! :rolleyes:

ChristiaanJ
5th Jan 2008, 17:56
Perkin,
I suppose you read what I said about "showing off".
And let us know if you passed my test without cheating.....

merlinxx
5th Jan 2008, 18:00
Have you noticed the name of this website? I think you may find it's a Pro Pilots' site with access for other aviation pro's, thus we all talk in either ICAO or IATA codes.

Suggest you go to the ICAO website www.icao.int and buy yourself a copy of Doc 7910. Or you can got to www.acukwik.com and order a copy of their Int'l Edition @ GBP26.50 for all ICAO/IATA locators.

merlinxx
5th Jan 2008, 18:04
This is an Aviation site, if you've no knowledge or are seeking knowledge, ask and ye shall find, otherwise don't show your ignorance when talking with those who are involved in aviation transportation.

dontpressthat
5th Jan 2008, 18:05
The very fact you do not know this airport code would suggest you have nothing to contribute to this thread anyway

1.WHY???
2.Surely anything posted here has something to do with anybody who is a contributor here..!!??
3.Is there any need for a remark like that?

DPT

Spitoon
5th Jan 2008, 18:20
You think it isn't? OK, quote me the ICAO codes for TLS and MPL without looking them up (no cheating).You think IATA codes are more mnemonic - sorry, I've no idea what the ICAO codes are, or even which airports they are. But I knew where EGJJ was - and if you tell me where TLS and MPL are, I cam probably tell you the ICAO codes.

It's horses for couses - if I don't know/work with the particular code system that someone uses (and I care enough to want to know where it is), I'll look it up, Google it, ask someone, whatever. But I don't expect everyone to bend over backwards and just so I understand something immediately when it's not my everyday bread and butter! And I don't - normally - care enough to respond to bleatings. No-one who works in aviation knows it all - we all have to look something up from time-to-time - by why make a fuss about it!

OK, rant over........don't really know why it riled me in the first place......

Avman
5th Jan 2008, 18:26
For what it's worth, I'm in ATC but I don't know every ICAO location indicator by heart. Same goes for the IATA codes. Plenty of aviation professionals won't be too familiar with ICAO codes, including aircrew - with the exception of those they fly to regularly. Why not just take a leaf out of another forum and use all three as a standard protocol? So the thread title could have read:

What happened at Jersey/EGJJ/JER yesterday?

Easy :)

Palyvestre
5th Jan 2008, 18:28
Level 2.. Not for lamer..

New title : What happened at 49°12'29''N 2°11'44''W yesterday? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3816065#post3816065)

:E

Taildragger67
5th Jan 2008, 18:30
We are WELL off-track here, but, my 2p-worth:

1 - old saying - your bags go to the 3-letter code; the aircraft flies to the ICAO (4-letter) code.
2 - it's shorthand - easier to write 'EGLL' than 'Heathrow'. It also makes certain which airport and aircraft is heading to/at/leaving (EGLL vs EGKK rather than just 'London'). A similar site specially for groundies (if there were one) would probably refer to 'LHR' and 'LGW' as that is their shorthand.

Mad (Flt) Scientist
5th Jan 2008, 18:34
Surely it would be courteous to not use abbreviations and jargon unnecessarily.

For example, there was a question raised earleir in the thread regarding the possibility of cabin crew access to the hold. Would Embraer's chief designer know what EGJJ was, or a JetBlue or American Eagle pilot, CC or mech - any of whom might know the answer, but be put off by the abbreviation.

ChristiaanJ
5th Jan 2008, 19:05
This is getting halfway interesting...
It's all about jargon, really.

Pilots have their own,
Engineers have their own.
ATC controllers have therir own.
The military have their own.

Today's PPRuNE is about communication among the entire aviation community.
So keeping the jargon down becomes a simple matter of courtesy.

And, merlinxx.....
I suspect your user name refers to the Merlin XX ?
Now how many people would recognise that reference?
Same difference.

Oh, and while I'm at it... I'm still looking for a copy of the CMM of the Concorde AICU.
You don't know what that is? Maybe you shouldn't be here on this forum either.

Dani
5th Jan 2008, 19:49
My rant:

You just don't know EGJJ because you never have been there. Everyone involved in Jersey knows what it is. If you are not involved, this thread might be of less interest for you.

4 letter codes are much more self-explanatory,

E is for North Europe
G for UK

two same letters always hints to a hub in the region, there are not many cities in UK with a J. There are many small airfields in the world you could never tell the city by the 3 letter code.

asuweb
5th Jan 2008, 19:51
thus we all talk in either ICAO or IATA codes.Do we? Obviously I'm not a 'true' proffesional then. Unless you are involved in operations to Jersey, there really isn't any reason to know either the ICAO or IATA code.

otherwise don't show your ignorance when talking with those who are involved in aviation transportation. I wouldn't accuse someone of ignorance just because they have better things to do than learn every abbreviation of every airport.

modern monkey
5th Jan 2008, 19:53
Blimey, didn't realise my post would generate such a reaction. For the likes of merlinxx et al,
a) I am a professional pilot,

b) I know exactly where to go to look up ICAO codes, just would rather not have to to know what a thread is about.

The use of EGJJ IS showing off in my opinion, and is rather un-necessary, but if using such terms gives people a sense of importance, who am I to criticise!

Merlinx your comments of:
"Suggest you go to the ICAO website www.icao.int (http://www.icao.int/) and buy yourself a copy of Doc 7910. Or you can got to www.acukwik.com (http://www.acukwik.com/) and order a copy of their Int'l Edition @ GBP26.50 for all ICAO/IATA locators." are further examples of the "I'm a pilot" attitude which I think irritates myself and many others.

DANNI, how can you say that I have never been to Jersey? I have flown into countless airports during my admittedly embryonic flying career but could not tell you the ICAO code for half of them.

Oh and to say that the fact that I don't know what EGJJ means shows that I have no right to be interested in this thread is complete crap. As a concientious pilot I am quite rightly interested in finding out about any incidents in the business, the consequences of which could have an affect on my profession.

Sleeve Wing
5th Jan 2008, 21:02
What the hell does it matter ??
Something we use everyday, TAF and METARs, are in ICAO 4 letter.
Groundies (and pax) use IATA. So what !
Let's get back to the thread, shall we ?
:ugh: :ugh: ;)

A4
5th Jan 2008, 21:06
Is it Tenerife South GCTS and Montpelier LFMP (That's a guess).

Do I win £5?

A4 :}

Scurvy.D.Dog
5th Jan 2008, 21:16
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
... feckin get on with the subject will yas :mad:

radiosutch
5th Jan 2008, 21:34
Not wanting to appear too ignorant of such matters, I wish to point out my post was a straight cut and paste from the local TV news page.

FE Hoppy
5th Jan 2008, 22:29
There was a time when you could pop on here and read the news but this thread is a great example of why I rarely bother anymore.

P.S. does anyone know what happened to the flybe jet?

chiglet
5th Jan 2008, 22:35
4 letter codes are much more self-explanatory,

E is for North Europe
G for UK

two same letters always hints to a hub in the region, there are not many cities in UK with a J. There are many small airfields in the world you could never tell the city by the 3 letter code.

Slighty wrong, it was to do with the old Aeronautical Fixed Telecommunications Network...All the EG?? were on the same circuit...not the same "Hub"....EGGP, EGGW, EGGD [Liverpool, Luton and Lulsgate (Bristol)] have no geographic connection...apart from their "Initial" Letter

DANNI, how can you say that I have never been to Jersey? I have flown into countless airports during my admittedly embryonic flying career but could not tell you the ICAO code for half of them.

So, who does your "Flight Planning" then? Who decodes the METAR/TAFS/NOTAMs for you?
watp,iktch

AircraftOperations
5th Jan 2008, 22:59
"EGGP, EGGW, EGGD [Liverpool, Luton and Lulsgate (Bristol)] have no geographic connection...apart from their "Initial" Letter"

I know what you are saying Chiglet, but those examples do have a geogrpahic connection. They are all in Europe, and all in the UK.

In fact, I'm not sure I know of any sites in the UK that do not have "EGxx" as their ICAO code. (Possibly military airfields are different?)

Overseas, however, where there are more sites that "XXxx" combinations, there may be differing ICAO codes across the same country. e.g. USA and India come to mind.

JAR
5th Jan 2008, 23:03
Acrid burning smell at rear, hold fire extinguishers fired by flight crew - nothing found by engineers. Aircraft returned to flying .