PDA

View Full Version : Supervisory Restriction

BlueRobin
2nd Jan 2008, 17:19
Q: In order to remove the Supervisory Restriction on a FI rating, it is necessary to have a responsible supervisor. But how is this defined? Moreover how is the person designated? Can there be more than one concurrent person, be that within oine RTF/FTO or spanning many?

Whopity
2nd Jan 2008, 18:00
It is up to the Registered Facility to declare the names of its nominated supervisors to the CAA in Section 8 of SRG 1175. http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1175Issue1.pdf

horsebox
2nd Jan 2008, 21:29
The top part of the form is the "recomendation" from the head of training or CFI that you have the restriction removed.

The column on the far right is for the supervising instructor on the day to countersign each solo send off.

Depending on the school setup it maybe the same or different person..

Whopity
2nd Jan 2008, 21:57
No such thing as a Head of Training or CFI in a Registered Facility! Only the owner or responsible person! JAR-FCL 1.125

DFC
5th Jan 2008, 22:20
Whopity,

The owner could be the Head of Training who could also be the Chief Flying Instructor, the Chief Ground Instructor and the Chief Tea Maker while still finding time to be the responsible person. :)

They may even be the Head of Training at an FTO as well as CFI at the RTF next door. :D :D

Regards,

DFC

Whopity
11th Jan 2008, 08:15
You can call yourself whatever you like; the point I am making is that there are no designated posts in an RTF; therefore to require a form to be certified by a person who is neither defined nor required is totally meaningless.

DFC
11th Jan 2008, 21:50
There is the designated person who is the person responsible for the activities of the RTF.

There is the designated person who will supervise the restricted instructors.

There is the designated person who will be the holder of the eman papers.

There is a few designations.

Regards,

DFC

Whopity
12th Jan 2008, 07:35
I would suggest they are Nominations, the posts in question CFI and HT are not designated!

A Very Civil Pilot
1st Apr 2008, 20:10
What are the requirements for a 'supervisory instructor' when supervising?

On duty at the FTO/in the air? Somewhere else on the airfield (i.e club next door)? At the end of a phone?

VFE
1st Apr 2008, 20:13
If it was deemed seriously important by the CAA then I think we'd all know the exact stipulations of said requirement! :hmm:

VFE.

A Very Civil Pilot
1st Apr 2008, 20:25
VFE - sorry, couldn't work out if that was sarcastic or not!!

Reason for asking is that I was asked to go to work to send a student 1st solo x/c. There was an FI(R) on duty, who was being supervised by an instructor from next door.

Looking back at Whopity's post regarding SRG 1187, I doubt he was listed on the paperwork as a supervising instructor. It's one of those situations that will bite you back if there is an incident.

I should know what the requirements are, but genuinely don't.

Treadstone
1st Apr 2008, 21:41
Can a CPL FI(H) supervise an FI/R(A) ?

VFE
1st Apr 2008, 22:04
No I was serious this time AVCP. If they were that bothered about strict guidelines on the matter then stricter guildelines we would have, but that's just my opinion. Like you say, should something unfortunate occur then it's good to know they won't be insisting certain guidelines which appear to be very vague should've been inforced. Like all matters legal, one would not wish to find out the hard way.

VFE.

duveldrinker
2nd Apr 2008, 11:30
I remember when I reported at the belgian CAA to get the FI rating added to my license they needed a written statement of the FTO with the name of my supervisor before they even would consider to add the rating.
Without that paper : no FI rating.

DFC
2nd Apr 2008, 19:42
What are the requirements for a 'supervisory instructor' when supervising?

On duty at the FTO/in the air? Somewhere else on the airfield (i.e club next door)? At the end of a phone?

That is up to the supervisor.

In the event of an accident or incident the question will be "would the average right thinking member of society agree that the FI(R) was properly supervised?"

Supervision does not mean looking over the shoulder of the instructor. However, in order to supervise, several facts need to be known by the supervisor. There are two ways for that to be the case - the supervisor is present and observes or the supervisor is briefed in advance and crosschecks essential relevant information.

One can appoint instructors to relevant positions at an RTF without having to wait for the paperwork to be proessed by the CAA. Therefore one can appoint an instructor from next door to supervise an FI(R) before the form has been sent away.

However, the form must be sent away with the required info and I would recomend that the agreement to supervise is in writing.

The Head of Training / CFI / Other responsible person would have to be satisfied that the supervision could be properly caried out.

---------

Can a CPL FI(H) supervise an FI/R(A) ?

No. They have to be qualified to provide the instruction they are supervising. Rememebr that a big part of the supervision is for the want of a better word - On the Job Training. The supervising instructor is supposed to sit in on briefings and on de-briefings as well as checking student records etc etc.

Regards,

DFC

SkyCamMK
2nd Apr 2008, 21:15
The CAA form is a record of solo send offs supervised by a FI at least and countersigned by CFI or similar. It relies on trust and is thus open to abuse. However, we are mostly "good eggs" and we do supervise our new FI and help the system by ensuring honest and true reports to CAA. SOP's will normally be obvious even if not written down. So it is not really a big deal but it can take a long time to get 25 solo send offs in some RTF/FTOs.

FlyingForFun
3rd Apr 2008, 20:12
The Chief Examiner's views on the subject can be found in TrainingCom 01/2007 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/TrainingCom%201-2007.pdf).

He makes a number of points regarding the experience and availability of the supervisor, and sums up by saying: "Ultimately the management of any facility/organisation offering flight training is responsible for ensuring a reasonable duty of care to student pilots by providing adequate supervision of FI(R) and AFI."

FFF
---------------