PDA

View Full Version : A320 Speedbrakes locked out

captain87
30th Dec 2007, 08:11
:eek: A320 QUESTION

Are there any possibilities for the speedbrakes to get locked out when airborne ?

If yes, what procedures should be used for a safe approach and landing ?

... I think it (if possible) should be one of the hardest and dangerous emergencies that "could" happen in flight ! ... I don't know if it has been ever practiced in the simulator ...

Thank you and Best Regards

by captain87

Clandestino
30th Dec 2007, 09:40
Are there any possibilities for the speedbrakes to get locked out when airborne ?

I hope not.

There's no ECAM or paper procedure dealing with it. All of them assume that spoilers have failed in the retracted position. Also no Vapp or RLD penalty in QRH for "spoilers remain extended". Spoilers are designed to retract and remain retracted in case of hyd or actuator failure.

I assume that if sppoilers stuck while deployed, you'd need fair increase in Vapp and ALD to catter for reduced wing efficency. But while I've heard of inflight ground spoilers deployment, mainly caused by faulty WOW switches (or in the Valujet case, creative circuit-breaker operation), I've never heard of spoiler that refused to retract, though someone better informed might correct me on that.

And I have never practiced it in the sim, or heard from someone who did.

captain87
30th Dec 2007, 11:29
I already know that the speedbrakes fail in its retracted position, but I usually think at what it said to be "impossible" ... "everything may occur".

Thank you for your answer and Best Regards !

captain87

elac2
30th Dec 2007, 11:41
Hi all.
I was led to believe that in all cases the spoilers fail in the retracted position. This is not so. Have ended up one spoiler floating all the way back from Funchal!! Failed about 20 mins after departure!!

Happy New Year

elac2

avionneta
30th Dec 2007, 12:33
The situation is dangerous in certain situations like a go around with a low speed otherwise you just have more trust. but it must be flying well provided you're not at the edge of the flight enveloppe.