PDA

View Full Version : Aerodrome Validation

AJ7
28th Dec 2007, 18:53
evening all,

just got onto the aerodrome course down in bournemouth after basic, and am wondering if any of you fine people could rustle up some numbers as regards validation rates/times at aerodromes in NATS? obviously some places are going to be longer (LHR) but it would be nice to have a feel for what lies ahead. or indeed any advice in general would be appreciated...

thanks

adrian

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th Dec 2007, 07:28
Most of it is up to YOU. Some people take to it like a duck takes to water whilst others have to work damned hard and maybe go through several watch changes. I've seen people validate in 6 weeks at Heathrow and others take a year. Quiet places should be quick; busy places somewhat longer. You won't know until you start live training... then your training officers will get a pretty good idea within a few days how long you'll take. Get the book work started as soon as you know where you're going. There is no substitute for knowing your airfield and the local geography like the back of your hand.

Tell you what - it might help if you learned to write properly if you hope to be a professional. Sentences start with capital letters and Bournemouth starts with a capital letter. What do they teach you people in school nowadays??

Good luck...

throw a dyce
29th Dec 2007, 08:41
AJ7,
The current training system at our Nats unit involves you passing certain hourly hurdles (ARGAT).With all the hoops that have to be jumped through,I would guess that if you can do Tower in less than 5 months that would be doing very well.
Don't assume that ''Quiet units'' are any easier.Often they have a more varied traffic mix,and other quirks that make the training just as hard.The other thing about these quiet places is that we need Approach Radar validations as well,otherwise we can't function.
Advice.Well apart from HD's see me for spelling,I would say that this is where your training is just starting.You will have to work damn hard at Hurn and wherever you are posted,assuming you pass all the courses.In fact you never stop learning,and maintaining a high standard.This isn't a game and you have to keep well ahead throughout your career.

AJ7
29th Dec 2007, 14:38
Fair comments.

The lack of capital letters was purely because it was a forum post...

I completely understand it is down to me as to how well I do, I also appreciate that I have only cleared one small hurdle on a long path, validation is a long way away irrespective of the time it may take.

Thanks again.

simfly
29th Dec 2007, 17:12
Don't worry aid, for what you lack in letters I've seen you make up with in numbers...... :O

Gingerbread Man
3rd Jan 2008, 09:31
Some job blurb I read mentioned that your wages increase 'after validation'. Does that mean you could potentially see a pay rise earlier if you were a quick learner or is that just a rough estimate of how your pay changes?

Inverted81
3rd Jan 2008, 10:01
After just finishing going through the process; this is what happened to me with regard to pay. By the time i validated my APS rating i was 2 months short of being in the company for 3 years. I got a slight increase in the T&D wage for those 2 months, but on the anniversary of my 3rd year, i stepped up onto the man ATCO scale at point 2.5. A HUGE jump up from the T&D scale. Check your contract. It should state there at which point you progress onto the main scale when valid.

If my understanding is correct (please correct me if wrong) if you validate after the 3rd year anniversary, you will get some pay back dated to that point.... i maybe wrong though!.

Speedbird1T
3rd Jan 2008, 11:46
Ade

I'm sure you'll fly through in record time, LL for you ;-)

Best of luck to you both for Mon, see you on the 28th......

Jim

AJ7
4th Jan 2008, 13:08
Cheers Jim

Enjoy the extra time off, gives the Spoons more time to get stocked up...:E

Seems like its going to be quiet around Hurn till the masses reconvene

simfly
4th Jan 2008, 22:10
We'll enjoy the peace and quiet with hardly any drunken TATC's around aid....