PDA

View Full Version : FATPL or CPL/IR (+FI) for career instructing?

Foz2
28th Dec 2007, 15:31
Hi
My ATPL theorys expire in the not too distant future, (ive had some unforseen finance problems which stopped the training 2 years ago) but i am able now to continue. Should be able to get my CPL flight test done before the exams expire but dont think ill get the IR done in time hence no FATPL.
My question is can you make a viable career out of instructing without holding a FATPL/ ATPL. My idea would be to finish my CPL then do the FI rating and instruct. Then after a while do the IR exams and the IR ( because the credits from my ATPLS would have runout). I would then hold a CPL/IR and FI. In the future in terms of getting a job as an MEIR instructor at one of the big schools would the lack of (F)ATPL be a problem or would they look at someone with just CPL/IR +FI ?
I would imagine this isnt a problem but would be interested in peoples views.
Thanks
Foz2

maxdrypower
28th Dec 2007, 17:16
you may well be able to get an extension on your credits if you ask the CAA nicely , this was done recently on another thread it might be worth searching for it and Pm in the guy involved he may already have the answer

helimutt
28th Dec 2007, 17:58
If you push to get everything done quickly, get booked on a course for the IR and then I can't see why the CAA won't give you a possible extension, especially as they have set a precedent and done this on a number of occasions for various reasons for the helicopter IR over the last couple of years.
In all honesty, it isn't too difficult doing the IR theory exams, more of a pain in the ass than anything, but it's more time and money for no more knowledge! Another CAA money making hoop to jump through.
Good luck.

Foz2
29th Dec 2007, 10:20
Thanks guys - i have emailed the CAA as they are on hols at the moment. Will speak to them on the 2nd and let you know how i get on.

Cheers

Foz2

portsharbourflyer
30th Dec 2007, 22:32
Foz, if you choose to become a dedicated career instructor you will never fly multi crew, as such you will never obtain the 500 hours multi crew needed to unfreeze the ATPL; as such if you remain a CPL/ME IR instructor you won't need the ATPL credits.

So if the ME/IR instruction route is the career path you choose then the lack of ATPL credits will not be a problem. In other words with just a CPL/IR and FI you will quite happily make a career as a multi IR instructor.

If the worst happens and you can't get an extension (hope you do by the way) remember with a CPL/IR and no ATPL credits you can still fly Single Pilot Aeroplane types; hence you could still get employed on a Twin Otter, King Air or even some of the smaller citations. Infact some Air taxi firms and flight schools may see the lack of ATPL credits an advantage as it means you are not able to move onto the airlines.