PDA

View Full Version : RT license

harsh_bhandari
27th Dec 2007, 14:52
I am aspiring pilot and want to clear the RT license papers before goin for my training. i wanna ask anyone out here who could tell me what to study and what are all the topics!!!!!!

Vortechs Jenerator
27th Dec 2007, 17:21
Trevor Thom Book 7 probably but you may be in the wrong forum. Best ask a pilot type.

I read some of it so I didn't sound a complete tit when taxiing and doing EGR's

Blacksheep
27th Dec 2007, 23:53
...but you may be in the wrong forum. Best ask a pilot type.
Hmm.

How many engineers are aware that they ought to be in possession of an R/T licence before they are permitted to transmit on the aircraft radios...? :hmm:

Its not an airworthiness matter, it comes under the laws governing radio telephony, but ignorance of the law is no excuse - as 'they' say.

sinkingship
28th Dec 2007, 04:26
CAP 413
http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=list&type=subcat&id=4

It will probably be easier when you start flying so you can relate the R/T to tha actual phases of flight.

Vortechs Jenerator
28th Dec 2007, 07:58
Well I've been an LAE for a long time in a few companies and I don't know a single colleague with an "RT" license.

Where's that mandated?

Usual company procedures will cover a quick course at ATC and a mention on your approval cert if you are very lucky.

allthatglitters
28th Dec 2007, 14:32
For 30 plus years been using the rt in numerous compamies and countries and only the current one inssist on an rt licence.

Blacksheep
29th Dec 2007, 03:55
Where's that mandated?For the United Kingdom, the main legislation is the Wireless Telegraphy Acts 1949, 1967 (WT Acts 1949 and 1967) the Telecommunications Act 1984 (T Act 1984) and the Communications Act 2003.

For the USA matters are much clearer: visit http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/wncol.html for the details.

Wireless communications are, like airworthiness and such, the subject of international regulation. No matter which country you are working in, somewhere on the flight deck of your aircraft there will be a Radio Station Licence. This licence will contain cross reference to the regulations under which it was issued. Those regulations will contain the details of who may operate that radio station and the qualifications required or the conditions under which they may do so.

I know that LAEs do jump into aeroplanes, turn on the radios and make transmissions without a care in the world, but some of their operating procedures and terminology leaves a great deal to be desired. (Even some of the B2s who ought to know better. :hmm: )

Added to which, they are committing an offence. There's more to aircraft maintenance than just the airworthiness regulations.

allthatglitters
29th Dec 2007, 04:39
So how do we as a Licenced technitian become one of the first to get this rt licence in the UK, like everyone else like to have things served on a plate.:)

Blacksheep
29th Dec 2007, 05:18
Oh come on; its not difficult. They've dropped the requirement for transmitting morse at 20 words/minute. ;)

Vortechs Jenerator
29th Dec 2007, 12:14
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP452.PDF also refers. I was looking to see if Ground use by engineers was excepted (like glider pilots)...

Apparently we're all law breakers. Best I refuse anyfurther ground testing!

Apparently Ofcom do need to issue cert.

One would think that CAA audits of all EASA 145 company procedure would check such a thing!

I have worked for some large well known airlines that issue Engine Ground Running approval quite happily without this legal requirement...

good spark
29th Dec 2007, 15:16
I know that LAEs do jump into aeroplanes, turn on the radios and make transmissions without a care in the world, but some of their operating procedures and terminology leaves a great deal to be desired. (Even some of the B2s who ought to know better. :hmm: )

sir, i think you have a misguided view of LAEs

gs

spannersatcx
29th Dec 2007, 17:59
Well according to the link given for the US regs we don't:

You do NOT need a commercial radio operator license to operate the following:
Coast stations operating on VHF frequencies with 250 watts or less of carrier power.

Ship stations operating only on VHF frequencies while sailing on domestic voyages (unless the vessel carries more than six passengers for hire, or the ship is larger than 300 gross tons and is required to carry a radio station for safety purposes).

Aircraft stations which operate only on VHF frequencies and do not make foreign flights.

As I'm not making a foreign flight then I don't need one.:cool:

Rigga
29th Dec 2007, 19:59
I think the answer is that Radio Operators Licences apply to Radio "Operators" and do not apply to ground engineers conducting ground maintenance. - Yes, I know its a loophole - but could you imagine the Great Gordon's glee at trying to enforce all UK radio using staff and all Armed Forces personnel to get a licence? Not to mention Police, Ambulance and Fire Services!

Techman
29th Dec 2007, 20:19
Back in the days when I was an apprentice, we were all trained and tested to the same standard as aircrew. To be properly licensed and use correct phraseology, instead of sounding as if you were on the phone with your mom, should be of interest to any professional.

Blacksheep
30th Dec 2007, 02:39
sir, i think you have a misguided view of LAEs Having been an LAE myself for more than thirty years, I think I'm familiar with the breed.

As I'm not making a foreign flight then I don't need oneIt has nothing to do with what sort of flight you're making or not making. It concerns what the particular Aircraft Radio Station is licensed for. If the aircraft has only VHF communications equipment and the AOC does not cover international flights - i.e. the aircraft and thus its radio station is restricted to domestic operations only - then you'd be correct.

The majority of the above posts are a pretty good indicator of the extent of the ignorance of radio operating procedures. Perhaps I've made my point? :rolleyes:

shuchim
30th Dec 2007, 13:31
hey dude in india question of r/t licence come from tuli book go to english book store in canout place and ask for that book and as u live in delhi there is one tution in pitampura and just pay him 15000($360) and u will surely pass the paper as every one know that bribe do every thing in india u can even get cpl licence without even touch the a/c.but be good pilot or engineer as i am because passengers r our responsibility.i am mechanical engineer just ask from avionic engineer u will get your answers .

Vortechs Jenerator
30th Dec 2007, 16:46
There's more to aircraft maintenance than just the airworthiness regulations.

That's correct mate, Between keeping an eye on working IAW AMM's, SB's, SIL's, PIL's, AIL's, AD's, Mod's, Company Bulletins, AWN's, QB's etc....whilst attempting to maintain the highest standards achievable...

Some of us even have time to get the old tools out and keep the odd A/C in service without getting our knicks in a twist about an RT license;)

Techman
30th Dec 2007, 17:45
Vortechs Jenerator,

So tell me then, are you legally operating the radio station that the aircraft is? A simple yes or no will suffice.

The radio operator licence, that should be in the ship's documents, will specify the conditions under which the radios can be operated. Have you read it or the regulations? A simple yes or no will suffice.

I hasten to add that I am not licensed by a UK authority, so I might used to a more progressive environment.

Vortechs Jenerator
30th Dec 2007, 18:13
Techman...

Are you a child. Naive to the ways of the world? Do you work in some Airline Nirvanna in an altruistic line station?

A simple yes or know will also suffice.

I work as a cog within an EASA 145 maintenance environment for an airline with it's own AOC. That system is has a quality sytem, CAME, MOE - that is approved and audited by the CAA. If ANY of it's practises are out of accord then it's a company/authority matter.

I adhere and operate within legislative rules as I understand them and they have been disseminated to me. As I said origionally - I have been making RT broadcasts to ATC in the course of my work for a long time and NONE of the 100's of engineers I know have EVER had an RT license.

I applolgise that a simple yes or no did not suffice but thats life eh?

Vortechs Jenerator
30th Dec 2007, 18:22
Did I get an RT license in the RAF to use a Storno?

NO!

Did I get an RT license with my aircaft towing ticket to talk on ATC freq' when tugging jets around the field?

NO!

Do the Fire tenders, bowser drivers, bird scarers etc get RT licenses to talk to the tower at 100's of airfield all over the UK/Yurope/Planet...?

No!

Perhaps no one really gives a toss except pilots and Air tragic controllers...

Techman
30th Dec 2007, 18:35
No, I am not a child, so I do not shift responsibility, but accept it. Similarly I do not operate in the manner most convenient, but in the manner mandated by regulations.

I can only see your answer as acknowledgement that you do not know the regulations concerning radio stations aboard aircraft, and that you rely on others to tell you whether you are legal or not.

Vortechs Jenerator
30th Dec 2007, 19:05
Techman
I can only see your answer as acknowledgement that you do not know the regulations concerning radio stations aboard aircraft, and that you rely on others to tell you whether you are legal or not.

And I can see you are a pompus stickler for authority and probably sit in the crewroom reading "Big Boys Radio Rules Monthly" when all your colleages are doing the real work that keep planes in the skies.

But hey, you made it personal before me buuba;)

windriver
30th Dec 2007, 19:22
Mmmm... Just to satisfy my curiosity...

Is there a specific exemption that permits LAE's or other Airfield service operators to operate a VHF or HF aircraft station without a licence?

Blink182
30th Dec 2007, 19:40
Course, there are all them Aircraft Bashers , Sorry , Tug Drivers always using VHF as well.

Blink182

LAE AND RT licence holder ( Smug Grin ):cool:

shuchim
31st Dec 2007, 00:57
hi can any one tell how can i converet my dgca maintenance licence to jaa/easa licence. pls reply over this .

spannersatcx
31st Dec 2007, 07:56
shuchim, as you have asked this question before on another thread suggest you read that instead of spamming other threads.

foreignrt
4th Feb 2008, 08:29
It is easier to get a Philippines RT. Contact me at [email protected]

s92dcu
5th Feb 2008, 22:41
I am a B2 .................. I took my CAA RT Licence while studying in Brunel Collage, Bristol. Long time ago 1983..:)