PDA

View Full Version : inside track

slingsby
28th Sep 2001, 00:11
The truth behind most job losses.

Greetings fellow human beings, Let me introduce myself as Airline Management but an aspiring, nearly there, airline pilot.

Until yesterday, I really didn't believe the amount of job losses announced by major carriers in the US especially in the UK. Today with Birdseed announcing the disposal of so many routes, the axing of so many jobs, I feel I must enlighten you to the heirachy of an airline. BUT, this was inevitable considering the recent events. I'll tell you a story about airline strategy that may make you think about moving positions or companies,

An airline will always recruit for the next financial year's expansion. Taking on sufficient staff and crews for planned route expansion, to provide the better service for the forward area passengers thereby not being caught out when the expansion arrives.

Most current industry job losses regretably are due to this foresight into next years expansion and growth. With the recent events, strategists and planners have seen a dark blot on their paperwork which could backfire on them next year if air travel declines (Which for my airline has not and for the foresable future will not ((fortunately)) ) I will promise to tell you otherwise, this as an aspiring driver I will do. Birdseed airlines 7000 plus redundancies will come from part-timers and carers, voluntary and compulsary retirements. Very few should come from crew, if it does then a case can be had for discrimination.
US redundancies have come from over staffing in the highly competitive domestic market, and the quest for global alliances, instead of concentrating on their own routes and services, they have invested $Billions in codeshares and the likes.
Copulation abstinance airlines in T3 LHR, have also been hit hardest with future expansion plans, up to 170 crew will be laid off but this will come with the early retirement of classic B747. No costly noise kits or refurbs for these babes.

Sadly I could go on, bu the main quest for our goal is to tell our management. Ride the meltdown, hold on to the ideas, wait for the tide to turn. Don't use the people you need most to make a statement, don't use staff or crew for PR purposes because this is really all they are doing. Yes it's true, I sat in on a board meeting and it was discussed, that if we as an airline announced job losses, it would give give us $1.2 million in free advertising.

Think about it chaps/es, don't be a pawn in a chess game, become the king and never give up. Stand together united. If the axe falls, stand up and say, where will they be next year. Up sh** creak. If theyv'e shafted every one once, what's stopping them from doing it again.

ANY EXCUSE FOR COST CUTTING EVEN IF NOT NEEDED, THAT IS THE MOTTO OF AIRLINE MANAGEMENT.

I may not make it to your standard for quite a while now but I stand by you chaps all the way, you are the bread and butter of the air transport industry. Don't let the B******* grind you down, without you there is no airline.

The Guvnor
28th Sep 2001, 02:34
You claim you're British airline management but you describe yourself in your profile as an FO? You also seem to be saying that airlines are effectively permanently overstaffed as "An airline will always recruit for the next financial year's expansion. Taking on sufficient staff and crews for planned route expansion, to provide the better service for the forward area passengers thereby not being caught out when the expansion arrives."

Well, I don't know what airline you're with, but few that I know of can handle extra personnel hanging around costing the company lots of money and doing b*gger all for it!

Then you come up with a real corker: "...don't use staff or crew for PR purposes because this is really all they are doing. Yes it's true, I sat in on a board meeting and it was discussed, that if we as an airline announced job losses, it would give give us $1.2 million in free advertising." :eek: :eek:

What company wants to admit that it's in trouble - because thats what these announcements are really saying! Read the PR handouts from people like FR and EZY - they are emphasising that they are not laying off anyone; but are rather looking to expand. As a punter, who would I prefer to put my advance bookings with - someone that's laying off staff and grounding aircraft left, right and centre; or someone that's expanding? And how come a UK airline is quantifying its PR benefits in US$?

All rather fishy to me...! :D :D :D

411A
28th Sep 2001, 02:51
Hmmm, does not look like the real McCoy to be either, Gov. Strange posting indeed.
Others, with management experience may like to comment. "Pilots" need not apply. :rolleyes: