PDA

View Full Version : Echoing TC ATCOs

Mister Geezer
23rd Dec 2007, 20:43
I suspect that this has already been mentioned but I have not seen anything after searching.

After the move from West Drayton to Swanwick, there is a tendency for TC ATCOs to have the occasional echo which lasts for a few seconds when they transmit. Whilst it doesn't pose a significant problem, it can be slightly distracting when it does happen. I also suspect that for crews whose command of English is not as fluid as ours, then this may hinder their ability to understand any transmissions on the first attempt causing extra R/T that could be avoided.
It does not seem to be limited to one specific frequency since I have heard it on Lambourne, Thames Radar, Cowly and Welin.

Should we be reporting these occurrences or is it a feature of TC's new home that we will have to get used to?

Gonzo
23rd Dec 2007, 20:46
I'd certainly report it, and also, if it's a suitable time to do so, advise on the frequency so TC Tels can be advised at the time.

BEXIL160
23rd Dec 2007, 21:34
Been happening for YEARS on AC freqs at Swanwick. Oft Reported. Nothing done.

The echo isn't transmitted.

A feature of the system

Remember this phrase. You'll hear it a lot at Swanwick.

BEX

Mister Geezer
23rd Dec 2007, 21:52
I have never noticed anything like this on any of the AC frequencies. It has been happening ever since TC moved house on a intermittent basis!

anotherthing
24th Dec 2007, 14:21
I would like to point out (for the sake of the managers and shareholders) that we have not TC moved house on a intermittent basis:}

Mister Geezer
24th Dec 2007, 16:18
Ah... I was of course referring to the echo sounding R/T being intermittent and not the relocation of TC! I am sure you all got that though! It was typed after a long day!

So do you guys all know about this problem and should we flight crew be reporting it?

Scuzi
24th Dec 2007, 18:45
We know that the problem exists but as it appears to be randomly intermittent, if you can report it over the RT at the time, the controller can report it to Tels who can start working on it straight away whilst the problem is still there.

There was quite a few reports of "Controller's head in bucket" on 119.77 over the past couple of weeks but having reported it a few times, the engineers seem to have fixed it. Hopefully all the frequencies will be sorted through time.

goldfrog
24th Dec 2007, 18:50
We are actively trying to track down the "head in bucket", "head in box" and "are you in a cave" problems. Be really good if when reported Tels were given date and time so we can listen to replays.

ps We are called Engineering and have been for years :-)

Mister Geezer
24th Dec 2007, 19:11
Ok... thanks for that.

In future I will mention it on the R/T (R/T load permitting) and hopefully it will get passed to Tels.