View Full Version : Skyforce Sky Sentinel

Zero Thrust
22nd Dec 2007, 17:07
Does anyone know anything about the Skyforce "Sky Sentinel" which is currently being advertised in the aviation magazines albeit without any price details ?

I have tried emailing Skyforce but am still waiting for a reply after three days.

drambuster
23rd Dec 2007, 10:20
From their website ( www.skyforceobserver.co.uk/products.asp?ID=8&USERID= )

Sky-Sentinel, a cost effective navigator with tasking and global asset management integrated into one package with real time tasking and data exchange for those who need to manage a remote asset :yuk:

I'm sure it's a very capable product, but the jargon blurb on their website is painful to read. Completely unintelligible to those that use plain English !

I would suggest that although it is designed for VFR use it is really aimed at the commercial market (Police, SAR operations etc). Most of the functions you can get in a Garmin 496 from a quick glance. They may have a facility to link the unit to TAFs and METARS (XM sat weather doesn't work in Europe and they have no plans to do so in the foreseeable future - so they advised me a couple of months ago!), but I am sure you will pay through the nose for such a service.

If you need weather (the only thing that a 496 can't offer over here), you can always use the free options of VOLMET, ATIS and London Information. Or (as a fellow PPRUNEr pointed out recently) using his PDA linked to the Met Office bulletin reports , he could do a 're-fresh' below 3000' and have the latest reports to hand !

Frankly I wouldn't waste your money on a jargon rich wizz box like the Sentinel ;)