PDA

View Full Version : Juristiction of arriving a/c

Quintilian
21st Dec 2007, 09:15
Hi!
I'm studying for becoming an ATCO, and just had my first Mastery test on Entry Point North (Nordic ATS Academy). I found one of the questions quite strange, and It would be nice if someone could throw in some input...
Question was a multiple choice, and approx. the following:
"When does the controller not longer have jurisdiction over an arriving a/c?"
a - When the A/C leaves the maneouvring area
b - When the A/C gets "cleared to land"
c - something else
d- something else...
I answered B, but afterwards a teacher told me that she thought the correct answer was A.
I was a bit puzzled concerning the framing of the question. Isn't it true that the controller actually never gets JURISTICION over an aircraft?
I do know that the a/c is not longer the controllers RESPONSIBILITY when it has entered the apron (left maneouvring area). In my mind those things aren't synonymous..... I can also remember to have heard somehting about the pilot being "responsible" after getting the "cleared to land".
Any thoughts?
Cheers
TH

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Dec 2007, 10:36
I believe the word you mean is jurisdiction and it depends how you interpret the word. You definitely do not lose control (or juurisdiction) when you clear an aircraft to land - what happens if you need to send it around?

I think the correct answer is "a".

21st Dec 2007, 11:34
I would agree with HD. Once on the Apron ATC assist.

Quintilian
21st Dec 2007, 12:19
Thank you for responding, and what I meant was "jurisdiction" ;-)

I guess you are right, and that one can interpret the word "jurisdiction" in both ways...

I confused myself when I started thinking about Annex 2 (Rules of the air) stating that the pilot-in-command always is responsible for the flight being conducted in accordance with....".

Based on that fact I basically assumed that the pilot-in-command always had "jurisdiction" over the a/c.

TH

pocpicadoor
21st Dec 2007, 14:00
Son of our fathers:

Incoming ATCs should never ASSUME:

OLds'n'bolds NEVER HAVE assumed!!!

Otago salutes you!

POC

21st Dec 2007, 15:06
Different states may have different rules, therefore your question may require a "local" answer. For example at some airports aircraft on the ground and within a specified parking/taxi area may come under the jurisdiction of another agency such as parking/stand control or similar. In another country that task may be carried out by the ATC agency with no apparent difference in service delivery.
Is that the sort of thing you meant or can you explain the context? An easy answer is "when it comes under the jurisdiction of another controller or agency"