- MORALS DOWN:(
- WHOM YOU KNOW GETTING AWAY WITH IT:ugh:
- ORGANIZATION WITHIN ORGANIZATION:yuk:
- CREW REPORTING EACH OTHER :=
- OFFICE PEOPLE IN A LONG BRAKES AT COSTA:*
- TO BE CONTINUED ………… :{

Icarus
21st Dec 2007, 05:11
Interesting set of problems, but not so sure they are specific to Gulf Air; I would hazard a guess that they almost certainly apply in most of the airlines in this region currently.

Politics: Ubiquitous in any company in any industry these days.

Wrong People: Probably GF has more than its fair share of this. The problem has a history and the labour law does not help.

Corruption: Prove it. If you can, use EthicsPoint but be prepared to substantiate your claims.

Payouts: VRS? Nothing wrong with the VRS other than a boat load of people who applied were not let go which is a shame - the company still maintains far more than its fair share of dead wood.

Staff Travel: As all but one route are eligible for electronic tickets, 99% of staff travel should be done on-line so use it and don't expose yourself to the pain of a visit.

Morale: Crawl out of it! Making the effort to be positive can have a long reach.

Getting away with it: Use EthicsPoint but be prepared to substantiate your claims.

Organisation: Agreed too fluid still; 8 months into the latest game and still departments cannot get their organisation set.

Reports: If they are genuine, what's the (your) problem?

Costa: I bet the revenues are nowhere near what they were a year or more ago. I bet they are 50% of the JH era.

ELLONNAGUN
21st Dec 2007, 06:35
ICARUS

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ELABORATIONS
WHEN IT COMES TO PROVING GF IS SINKING NO NEED FOR ANYBODY TO PROVE IT
- WHY GF IS LOOSING XXXX$$$ AMOUNT DAILY.:confused:
- WHY OTHER AIRLINES ORDERING A380 AND GF IS HIRING 737:yuk:
- WHY OTHERS HAVE CONTINGENCY PLANS FOR DAILY WORLD CRISES AND FOR GF EVERYTHING IS FINE:rolleyes::ok:
- ARE THEY LOOKING A HEAD OR EVEN HAVE FUTURISTIC PLANS FOR ALL OF THESE LOW COST AIRLINES ( is any plan to combat this):=
- OTHER AIRLINES ARE LOOKING AT ALTERNATIVES FOR JET FUEL WHAT GF IS DOING OR AGAIN PLAN FOR BLANK:zzz:
- WHY SO MANY DELAYS FOR BOTH CREW AND PAX ( a/c conditions ):ugh:
- ON TIME PERFORMANCE NOT IMPROVING :eek:
- I COULD KEEP ON TILL I RAN OUT OF THREAD SPACE
- SO HERE YOU GO THE STORY EXPLAINS IT SELF NO NEED TO PROVE IT
- NO AND I WOULDN’T LIKE TO GO AND PROVE IT TO ANYBODY ONE LOOK AT THE SITUATION AND ALL IS THERE
- GF IS ASKING STAFF TO REPORT EACH OTHER WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF YOUR KIDS AT HOME START TO REPORT EACH OTHER FOR TIT FOR A TAT
- YOUR ANSWER FOR MORAL DOWN IS GOOD AND BELIEVE ME WE ARE ALL OVER IT AND THIS IS THE ATTITUDE YOU SHOULD TAKE TO COMBAT NEGATIVITY AND THAT IS WHAT WE ARE DOING
- IN SUMMARY ALL AIRLINES HAVE PROBLEMS AND THERE IS NO PERFECT WORLD BUT THE BEST LEADERS MAKE THE BEST OUT OF IT. ( which gf is lacking )

Icarus
21st Dec 2007, 07:27
Unsubstantiated statements are hardly worth the pixels they are written in. If you are not prepared to prove anything and expect everyone to just agree then you need to take a seat at the back.

(1) Because expenses exceed revenues.
GF has amateurs in Sales, Pricing and Revenue Management.
(2) 380? Lets put egos to one side. Just what route justifies such an aircraft for any M.E. carrier.
(3) Contingencies. The only crisis affecting GF on a daily basis is probably the price of oil/fuel. Hedging is an option if you have the right skills in the right area. In GF probably not.
(4) Strategy. Got it in one there. No leadership, no communication, no vision. GF needs a CEO.
(5) Alternative to Jet Fuel - let's see a commercially viable aircraft that runs on something other than JET-A1 first shall we?
(6) Delays. Sh1t happens and to everybody - just that GF do not have much to juggle to reduce the impact. See the B767's that are not on the Bahraini register are to be grounded from 31-Dec until they are. Can't see that helping much either. It is how you manage the sh1t that you are rated on.
(7) OTP is not that bad. It would be considerably better if the aircraft were in a condition to do so; this is probably a legacy of JH (no spares, no money) but one would have thought it should have been resolved by now.

Now, if you never report (on) anything how on earth do you know what is going right and what is going wrong so that you can improve. It is not about 'tit for tat' (at least one hopes not) it is about being responsible.

Yes GF needs a leader and one with integrity. One that can work with the Board.

GF also needs a Board who are prepared to keep their distance and allow a CEO to operate.

Will that happen? Your guess is a good as mine.

Propellor
21st Dec 2007, 08:19
Well said, Icarus.
You sure have a balanced head on your shoulders. And lots of patience to answer a Johnny-come-lately who can neither think, nor spell.
You did forget to mention that relief from GF's miseries is only a piece of paper and 3 months to bear! Could have been worse!
BTW, it does surprise me that people have problems with the low morals of others - me thinks they are fun, especially on night halts with the floozies!!!!

Sultan85
21st Dec 2007, 09:12
:DWe can say GF will stay flying regardless of the current situation which is not difficult for GF to pass it if we look to the past we can say its not new thing for GF to copy with!

All the best for Gulf Air.:ok:

millerscourt
21st Dec 2007, 11:07
Morals have always been down in GF:D

brightjoe
21st Dec 2007, 11:50
unqualified, incapable people leading the dis-spirited people, particularly the man at the helm is the primary reason for Gulf Air's state. Which other Airline in the world will keep BN at the helm?

ironbutt57
21st Dec 2007, 12:54
I wouldn't let the "negative few" be representative of things at GF...most I am in contact with from day to day are happy with the package, and the work environment in general at GF. The biggest disappointment I think was the expectation of a new fleet announcement that didnt happen. The men and ladies in the cabin keep on doing their super job in spite of somewhat difficult, and embarrassing conditions, due the state of aircraft furnishings..(man I wish I owned a duct tape factory:})..so along we go slowly,but surely, most importantly SAFELY..and look ahead..:ok:

bus787
21st Dec 2007, 15:18
Whatever anyone say.
BN is not a person capable to get GF out of the probs.
He is only good to say yes for the bored.
He has no experience in managing a World class airline.
The ship will sink with him in command.

Che Guevara
21st Dec 2007, 15:53
He has no experience in managing a World class airline

Bus787
Which airline would that be then? Surely you are not talking about the one I think you are...are you?

If so amigo, then the 'dreamliner' would be a more appropriate handle.

Ciao

boiler
21st Dec 2007, 18:31
WRONG ROUTES
Pray tell, what are the routes that GF should fly too then? Explain which ones are the wrong ones now ELLONNAGUN and why? If you are so knowledgeable, maybe you should have been heading the network department :ugh:
Unsubstantiated statements are hardly worth the pixels they are written in. I find myself agreeing a lot with Icarus these days. I should schedule a checkup soon.

airfort
21st Dec 2007, 19:38
Does any one of you have any idea how to run an airline? You might be good at what you are doing, but no one has the write to judge the others. If you are really caring about the airline why don’t you be more constructive and come up with some workable ideas.. Does every one of you have and idea.. One new idea.. This will make this airline much more healthier.

brassplate
21st Dec 2007, 20:36
hey airfort,
your country, your bloody airline, your problems. we just sit on the sideline and watch your patriotic people cock it up and blame it all on bn.

brassplate
22nd Dec 2007, 04:39
personally, i would go the way of ek (as much as bahrain can afford).

provide first the way (routes), and passengers will come out of the woodwork after some clever marketing.

a good marketing point would be the better transitting process (of course we'll have to work on that) without having to endure the giant that is dubai international airport.

advertising that bigger is not always better will be part of that slogan. smaller sometimes means more personal attention, no running great distances from one side of the airport to the other, not getting left behind etc etc etc. market that point for all it is worth. in every case, making subtle inferences that dubai international airport has a lot of undesirable points that the astute traveller knows too well.
i'm sure this will appeal to at least a good portion of the travellig public.

and of course, new planes sooner than later.

Not too small
22nd Dec 2007, 06:53
Did you have enough sleep?

boeingdriverx
22nd Dec 2007, 07:07
Sadly if you look at our passengers, we deal a lot with low income people (paying very low fare) coming from europe (flying for cheap vacation in Thai / Nepal etc.) or asia (workers coming or going to the gulf), we lost the battle for the premium passengers a long time ago due to our aging fleet, old cabin (how is it still possible that our GF A340 have the old ugly first class seats when we have our Singaporian's A340 with skybed: how many times did I hear premium passengers complaining about being sold a skybed and getting a very old seat? hundreds of times...), poor on time performance etc.

And this business being a low margin business, it is really with this premium passengers that airlines make money... Look at our competitors : Qatar has an amazing cabin, Emirates is a real global airlines with a great service.

I think we also have a strategic problem, remember : 'Gulf Air : the biggest network in the middle east' , yeah sure so it means our main market is intra gulf and flying to the neighbouring countries, but the problem is now we are facing a fierce competition on this segment because of all these new low costs : Air Arabia, soon Bahrain Air , Jazeera Airways... Look what's happenning in Europe: if you look at all the major carrier BA, AF, LH, they all loose (or barely breakeven) on their short-medium haul network and they really make their money on the long haul... GF and the Middle East situation is not different. And if GF don't plan soon to refocus on the long haul market they will loose.... Because GF structures are nothing but light, we have way too many employees for the size of our airline... And as a consequence our cost structure is everything but LOW !

I don't know where is Bahrain Air heading? I didn't see any airplanes but they are already selling ticket at the seef mall, but imagine one second that Bahrain Air get 10 A320s over the next 3-4 years : guess what GF will bleed money, I am telling you it is very sad. According to IATA the middle east has seen the biggest increase in passenger numbers worldwide this year and guess what GF is still bleeding money... it tells you one thing : when the time become more difficult GF will die or only survive with massive cash injection...

How can they dream to privatize such a big liability ?

BD

ELLONNAGUN
22nd Dec 2007, 09:29
HERE IS SOMEBODY WHO READS BETWEEN THE LINES WELL EXPLAINED:D
YA AND FOR THE ONE WHO SUGGESTED BACKSEAT I WILL TAKE THE BACKSEAT ,ITS THE LEAST RISK AREA WHEN THE AIRSHIP GOING NOSE DOWN THANKS FOR THE ADVICE.
GF WITH AN ADD MY COUN...MY AIR...SOON WILL BE MY WORLD MY AIRLINE WHERE GF WILL BE THE SOLE AIRLINE AROUND THE GLOBE WHILE THE OTHERS WILL BE TRAVELLING TO MOON AND BACK. FOR ONE SIMPLE REASON
P-POWER P.M AGAINST KING
O-OVER POWER THE CLASH OF THE ROYALS(family how to split the cake)
L-LEVEL OF AUTHORITY (p.m son and the crown prince I.E BAH AIR/GF)
I-INSANITY ( love of power)
T-THIEVES( says it all)
c-CORRUPTED SHEIKS
S-SON (the next p.m of bahrain)
figure it out.

airfort
22nd Dec 2007, 10:19
hi brassplate,,

I am really sure that there are some locals who could have ruled in a much better way than what have been done until today.

It is so obvious that all the foreigners in charge know that they are here for short term. Their only goal is to take max cash out of this country in min time. This is why there is no long term planning in this company....It is true what you are here for is to sit on the sideline and watch the locals do the job and you do nothing. Just grab what you came for, don't spend your BD in fancy stuffs and run away just like AD , LS and the other ediots did :ok:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.pprune.org/forums/report.php?p=3786619)

Spirit
22nd Dec 2007, 14:10
I tend to disagree, airfort.

Maybe some of the expat managers are like that...but some local suits could well be feeding from the very same honeytrap, they would just have a lifetime to do so.

That being said, remember that many of the top brass expats are also in a career of their own, one, where you are never better than your last result.

What would their longterm goal be by screwing Gulf Air???

What scares me, is that all the topnotch leaders on the market, all tend to take a big step around Gulf Air. Why is this then? Could it be, because Gulf Air is rumoured to be the sick old man of Middle Eastern aviation? Is it because, it is rumoured to be impossible to ever get free hands to lead the company, when everybody in the board want their piece of (undeserved) fame and influence?

You tell me, because I really do not know...

Capt Hair Y Balls
22nd Dec 2007, 16:11
Spirit,

What scares me, is that all the topnotch leaders on the market, all tend to take a big step around Gulf Air. Why is this then?

It's because they know GF is a downright corrupt organization full of theifing greedy bast@rds

scanscanscan
22nd Dec 2007, 16:41
Yer but..Yer but..Yer..apart from that it is a really good airline!
GF lost most of its first class passengers in twelve months when some expert decided to blow his brains out and put brand new local male stewards fresh out of training school as the full team of first class cabin crew on their first flight....he then insisted on keeping them there and it amounted to sabotage.....BA even mentioned the dramatic increase in their first class revenue passengers (as a result of this) on the Gulf/LHR/Gulf routes in their annual shareholder report.
First class passengers of all nationalities like smartly uniformed pretty blonde girls with nice figures who do not drop the vegatables on the floor and then pick them up and put them back on the passengers plate in front of them.
GF blew first class and it never came back and sadly it served them right.

Bebsi Nocoke
22nd Dec 2007, 18:27
Expat and local managers both fall under the same umbrella, corruption is not a one man show but the collusion of several individuals; from crew control and the phone number of every girl when she is needed for "operations" to pilots choosing their own "checker" to head of inflight who manages to order at his will articles that are no longer needed, to various heads and managers aware of the stealing but choose not to act on it etc...

Unfortunately in the past 10 years the many good people have come to work did not stay due to the sheer scale of corruption.

As a result, we have lost them to our competitors, Pilots, crew, managers, service officers etc...and what they take with them is invaluable information on how not to do things. Mr. Clark at EK is a perfect example of this.

The sole unlucky recipient of X-GF staffers is EY, They have taken on what others would never touch with a ten foot pole

What Bahrain has going for itself is something it will never capitalise on in comparison to other Gulf countries and more important is the dilemna of the board after all these successive failures, how much can you trust any PCE and his team?

All I can say from reading these posts and living in Bahrain for over 11 years now is let us hope for the best, not sure we are going in the right direction any longer.

oneeyeseeall
22nd Dec 2007, 19:24
WHAT WHAT AND WHAT HOPE FOR THE BEST?????????????????????? WHAT A JOKE .. NOT AND NEVER WILL TRY BE A SMART ARSE. GF IS ON A SPIRRAL DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEE, THOSE GOOOOOD TIMES WILL NEVER COME BACK ,NOW , SOON AND NEVER, THEY FU:mad: CED THE COMPANY BIG TIME. GF WILL ONLY BE A REGIONAL AIRLINE AND ENVENTUALLY LOW COST AIRLINE,LETS AGREE ON THAT ONE. IF YOU ARE IN GF THINK HARD AGAIN AND AGAIN. FOR THOSE WHO LEFT YOU HAVE MADE ONE OF THE BEST DECISION OF YOUR COURRIER , GOD BLESS YOU,

kwachon
22nd Dec 2007, 19:47
Of course this could also be the perfect time to clear out all the dead wood and start over. I for one hope so.:}

Bebsi Nocoke
22nd Dec 2007, 19:54
I have a feeling there has never been more dead wood then there is now.

Starting with BN... and onto HR..... then particularly that bloke who is always smoking between costa and canteen, and who probably reinforces the thought of my airline my country all the rest f-off!

Think it is going to sink without any doubt unfortunately.

Hello Bahrain Air, but isn't that also a my airline my country stint?

wapses
22nd Dec 2007, 20:06
Gulf Air's issues right now ...

PCE. Will they give Mr Naf the job? Will anyone else take it? Not if the board continues to interfere. No top flight Chief Exec will work in an environment where all decisions have to be endorsed by the board. Mr Naf appears to have limited interest in the commercial side of the operation and leaves that to the Acting VP. If he is competent, no problem, but does Mr Naf even have a grasp of the commercial aspects of a major passenger airline?

The Board. Needs to stop interfering. The voluntary severance scheme fiasco was an example of their stupidity. A company needs to be run by its Chief Exec, not the Board. If they do not have confidence in Mr Naf then they should try to find a replacement.

Bahrainisation. There are good Bahraini managers and bad and lazy ones. A proper staff appraisal system is needed to root out the incompetent ones ... and incompetent expats.

In flight. As a regular flyer I agree with the earlier post about too many Bahraini male cabin staff. Business travellers want attractive looking cabin staff (preferably female) to serve them. Look at the success of Virgin and the Singapore Girls.

Human Resources. All my contacts in the company tell me that the department is a disaster. It needs a complete overhaul, not just walls in the de[artment pulled down and a monthly newsletter. Basics like procedures which are understood by everyone and followed within the department.

Technical problems. Is it just a run of bad luck recently? I certainly hope so. I have experienced far too many delays and cancellations in the past few weeks and a look at the departure board indicates that I am not the only one.

Morale. That rumoured new aircraft order would do much to lift the morale of staff .... and passengers. And is the existing fleet to have a complete interior refurbishment in the meantime? If so, more positive news.

Is the worst over for GF? Can the airline have another year as bad as 2007? Maybe there is a silver lining to that black cloud that has been hovering over the Pink Palace?

oneeyeseeall
22nd Dec 2007, 20:23
YOU GUYS WAISTING YOUR TIME . NAF IS NOT THE RIGHT GUY ON THAT JOB AT ALL. HE KNOWS NOTHING IN TERMS OF BUSINESS AVIATION, THAT DUE CANT EVEN BE FLEET MANAGER FORGET RUNNING THE AIRLINE . GULF AIR IS IN DEEP **** MAINLY IS ITS MANAGEMENT,JUST WRONG :mad: GUY ALL THE TIMES .

brassplate
23rd Dec 2007, 05:48
airfort,
what i was saying is i don't care how the locals run the airline. just pay me my next salary that i worked for.

if you want to run your airline to the ground, be my guest, i'll happily leave without having to pay the balance of my bond. if you decide to turn the airline around, great, i stay a bit longer.

don't ever forget one thing, every expat at gf was invited for an interview by your people. you only have yourselves to blame if you chose unwisely.

let's get one thing straight. every expat came here for one reason and one reason alone....to make money. they are not here for al-dirat, amwaj, financial harbour, etc etc etc. they are here for ONE reason. and it ain't for the country.

left_to_first_class
23rd Dec 2007, 11:35
Here's some food for thought as we end 2007.

Cast your mind back to 12 months ago and take a look at the management that made up GF - expats and locals but a large number of expats 'running' the business, many hired during Hogan's era.
As with any management structure across the world, the managers were either good or incompetent - we can argue whether the management was good or crap to the camel comes home, so lets not go down this camel track please.

During this summer, many expat managers left - the good ones saw what was happening and where GF was heading and left at the earliest opportunity, the incompetent ones went to EY :E and some stayed on - hey Bahrain ain't that bad a place to live :ok:.

So who replaced the departing expats?
The replacements in many cases were the same local managers who were 'running' the business prior to 2002 - and we all know what nearly happened to GF then. During Hogan's time many were found out to be incompetent and so the Heroes' started to arrive. Now the Heroes' have gone these same managers are now back running the airline.

Sadly for GF, many of the local managers now back in charge have gone back to their old ways and have not learnt a thing - especially how not to be a manager.
Can GF get rid of these guys? Sadly no.
Many of the incompetent ones are in their 40s', with wife and children to feed and loans to pay off. They won't be going anywhere for many years.
These 'managers' have been with GF for over 20 years and will boast about their 20+ years of experience and argue that they can run GF as it was before, be successful, and all that has happened over the past 4 years is the fault of the foreigner and not the local. These guys forget the world has changed.

I've witnessed this in many departments I have to deal with and unfortunately many now 'back' in the driving seat display this arrogance of 'they no better and its the fault of the previous management'. Don't get me wrong, there are some very good local guys, but they are rapidly being overshadowed. Worse still, some who wanted to leave under VRS and were declined just hang around and create misery for others.

For GF the future is not bright. The people the company should be nurturing and developing are leaving. Over the past couple of months I have had to say a sad good-bye to a few young Bahraini's. These guys and gals had drive, passion and professionalism and did a good job. They also wanted to learn and make the business better.
When I asked them why they were leaving the common response was they had enough of GF, its politics, and that their immediate boss was incompetent, unprofessional and treated them like kids who knew nothing.
They all felt GF could not change.
All were snapped up quickly by private businesses.

With this management structure in place, which quality CEO wants to come on board. Many touted Adel Ali, CEO of Air Arabia, and a few others GCC nationals, but these guys won't touch GF as they will have to deal with this 'I have 20+ years of experience and I know what's best', so can't change GF for the better.
Sadly, the next PCE if its not BN will be a junior minister from the government.

So for me, in the words of brassplate, just pay me my next salary that i worked for.

Masalam

ironbutt57
23rd Dec 2007, 17:02
At the end of the day, best just go to work, do the job, go home, get paid,(remember some of these "incompetent managers" got us a 30% or better package increase) enjoy life...look at the state of the industry in the USA...pilots walking the streets,(after 30% pay CUTS) and the managers ( whose mismanagement put the airlines in that situation to begin with) paying themselves millions in bonuses..consider ourselves fortunate...Merry Christmas and a happy New year:ok:

Capt Al Fakhem
25th Dec 2007, 16:26
Ironbutt57,

remember some of these "incompetent managers" got us a 30% or better package increase

I just love your thought process, f:mad:ck the future, we just got 30%. The very managers people are slagging have exactly the same philosophy. :ok:

ironbutt57
25th Dec 2007, 22:05
The future will bring what the future brings..of course we all are concerned about it...but bagging them here on Pprune, without really knowing what they are up against on a day to day basis is not necessarily productive now is it:ok:

Capt Al Fakhem
26th Dec 2007, 03:20
So I guess all the cr@p you come up with here on Pprune is productive is it?

Give it a rest mate, the management of this airline is absolutely appalling, whatever you do or say simply will not change that, period.

mydogsnameisbjorn
26th Dec 2007, 03:52
Hey Butt
Please in your eloquent ways of writing please enlighten all who dare to read.
what would be productive? Just sit back and take it? take it in whatever position they choose for the day? some of us have been taking it for years and we are somewhat sore and none the better for it. Can PPrune oust a CEO? perhaps not. However according to Naf he used it as a reference tool to sweep out who he read as incompetent. There is towing the line and then there is being a whore for saying yes sir without posing questions.
Where are the announcements? Oh right....it was his big announcement. we were told wait for the airshow...we were told first couple of weeks in December. How much can you or anyone else stomach without clearly seeing he has not clue of what dribbles out of his orifice.
Yes you are the pillar of common sense and make for good reading. Now either live up to your reputation of providing your 2 cents or stop making all see that you are BN's little dog. Sit, fetch, roll over, dinner time......:confused:

ironbutt57
26th Dec 2007, 06:14
In my day to day area of responsibilities..(conducting a line flight) I ask many questions, and occasionally make "operationally inconvenient" decisions in order to assure the safety of a flight. However I cannot pretend to know what the folks on the top floor have to deal with on an hourly basis, therefore do not put myself in the position of criticising them on a public website. Of course most of us myself included have many ideas on how things could be done differently, but without being aware of all the obstacles in their pathway, it s impossible to judge those in charge one way or another. In other words..walk a mile in a man's shoes before criticising him! Signing out..IB:ok:

tbaylx
26th Dec 2007, 10:20
IB,

Fair enough, you may not know what they are going through on a daily basis, and to individually judge someone is probably tough to do unless you are very familiar with their job. However you can judge the product that GF is supplying and those managers are responsible for that product.

If the product is up to speed then likely the management team is doing their jobs. If the product is subpar then they are lacking somewhere, and i can see why an employee would be frustrated with the situation.

One other point. You think it was the managers that got you a 30% pay rise? I'm not sure i can see a group of the local managers fighting for a pilot pay rise. I suspect it has alot more to do with the large group of pilots that resigned forcing a decision to be made that worked to retain some amount of experience before it was all gone.

Best of luck to all those who remain with GF..hope to see your house in order sooner rather than later.

Chuck Y
26th Dec 2007, 15:55
The payrise was exactly as tbaylx said, it had nothing to do with the management. It was a reaction to the fact that many, if not most, of the pilots were looking elsewhere & also a group of local pilots that went to the board hi-lighting the low salaries that GF had.
Anyone heard anything about the A320 corrosion problem? Rumour has it that the bosses are trying as hard as possible to keep it very hush hush.

Mephistopheles
26th Dec 2007, 16:10
I really hope it's not true about our rusty 320s, otherwise we really are in deep s***. Any more info?

Che Guevara
26th Dec 2007, 16:21
Anyone heard anything about the A320 corrosion problem?
Did hear the rumour some time back...really would not be too surprised considering the maintenance culture and the hostile meteorlogical environment.
Lets hope not:eek:

Ciao

Icarus
26th Dec 2007, 18:15
320 corrosion? EO had a cabin attendant seat removed for a while due to a corrosion issue prior to re-registration; not heard of any others.

kwachon
28th Dec 2007, 07:06
Another reason to close the door on the way out!

Gulf-Daily-News today.

MANAMA: Gulf Air has reinstated sacked employee Mohammed Salim Khamis as trade union president. The decision follows negotiations between management and the union, Gulf Air Chief Executive Bjorn Naf said yesterday.

Al Fakhem Snr.
28th Dec 2007, 08:09
Mohamed should be made PCE, this should clarify the agenda for everyone in the company.

Useless PCE already so what is the change, this is Gulf Air.

Go Bahrain Go!

and while we are at it, why don't we open a music room for the ardha dance?

Bjorf Nan should seriously consider this if he wants to improve the working atmosphere in the pink palace

roger reed
28th Dec 2007, 13:44
gulf air needs a ceo like al baker who can turnaround the whole structure into a discplined organisation,like he brought qatar airways to wher it is today.inspite the controversies about his leadership it is but obvious that he is a man with vision to bring up an airline to wher it stands today

Panama Jack
28th Dec 2007, 15:46
gulf air needs a ceo like al baker who can turnaround the whole structure into a discplined organisation,like he brought qatar airways to wher it is today.inspite the controversies about his leadership it is but obvious that he is a man with vision to bring up an airline to wher it stands today

You may well be right. The solution may well be having a benevolent Bahrani with a little-Hitler complex, with a sharp eye for quality and standards who enjoys the support of the Ruling Family and is willing to whip into shape or ship-out any resisters or non-compliers regardless of nationality, affiliations, etc.

Of course, if that happens, it will probably largely destroy the overall enjoyable work environment that has been Gulf Air's hallmark, making me question whether it is worth staying at (I don't think I want to work at a Qatar Airways or its clone).

Tough situation. But in the meantime, I would be pleased to have something else that we haven't had for over a year at Gulf Air, namely strong, visible, long-term (not just for 2 or 3 months) leadership.

Che Guevara
28th Dec 2007, 15:57
Hola PJ

You may well be right, but no psychopaths here thankyou....and thats being polite I think.

Ciao

sharpcommand
28th Dec 2007, 16:01
Al Baker..not in my book..I go back a lot of years with this bloke.
He got to where he is via CAA Qatar, and being right up the Althani`s jacksee`s ..he trusts no one and anyone that crosses him beware...
Mind you his baby care shops done very all those years ago
But you never know, he appears to have done a fair job at Qatar, he has the power with no interference for the Ruling family..... although it would not be like that in Bahrain, with that bunch of amatuers who call themselves a board of directors..Sorry GF

Che Guevara
28th Dec 2007, 16:42
sharpcommand
You got the 'amateur' bit right with the Board, however we certainly don't need a megalomanic to sort it out. Funny about the 'baby care' shops however...that might just work;)

Ciao

Bebsi Nocoke
28th Dec 2007, 20:00
I would actually what AAB can make of GF....

Interesting times if that happened!

rextravels
30th Dec 2007, 23:55
The board should have taken a look at the the turn arround guy who in the fall put his hat in the ring. As they were based on success not just talk. But the board would rather have a yes man, then someone who wants to turn the company around.

Sultan85
1st Jan 2008, 08:44
Any news about the fleet renewal? I heard A321s is coming from RJ soon.:rolleyes:

Sultan85
1st Jan 2008, 09:30
I hope it will be handed on time this time because taking out the remaining B767s soon will have a big impact into the operations if not so