PDA

View Full Version : Longhaul Crew on board question

ct976
21st Dec 2007, 00:48
there are 4 crew on board for a long haul CX flight according to the website on the 744, 346 or 343

what is the crew? how many operate at a time?

leftseat: Captain
rightseat: First Officer
backseat: Second Officer
4th: ????

or is it just a rotation like:
during critical phases,
left seat: Captain
right seat: Senior F/O

during cruise phase,
left seat: F/O
right seat: S/O

Mr. Bloggs
21st Dec 2007, 00:56
The 4th is a dog.:ok:

Harbour Dweller
21st Dec 2007, 01:01
To use your wording:

Critical Phases:

LH Seat: Captain
RH Seat: First Officer
1st Observers: Relief Commander
2nd Observers: Second Officer

During Cruise Phase:

Can be a different mix but most common is

LH Seat: Captain
RH Seat: First Officer

Relief Commander & Second Officer resting.... then

LH Seat: Second Officer
RH Seat: Relief Commander

Rabesh Binny
21st Dec 2007, 03:37
If you are flying with guys like MFL(744) or PH(Airbus) then you get treated worse than a dog.
BTW did you know that when MFL was in the Air Force he was so useless that they wouldn't let him on the tactical C-130 squadron.Transport C-130's only for one of the great bullies (& incompetent pilots) of our time.

bobrun
21st Dec 2007, 14:00
4 crews on long haul.....for now! CX is working hard to save money by having only 3 pilots up front...

Arfur Dent
21st Dec 2007, 19:02
Almost certainly going to 3 crew ULH - this from a CAD FOPS Inspector (RW). Not only will this save CX money, it will enable the Fleet expansions to go ahead. Regulatory authority?? Don't think so.:=

bobrun
22nd Dec 2007, 01:22
A 4 man long haul can be so exhausting, I can't imagine being in an operating seat after a 15+hrs 3 man long haul. Where do they get the stats and data to come up with the conclusion it`s reasonable to do?

rsb
22nd Dec 2007, 06:58
It surprises me that it takes 4 pilots to aviate a 744 passenger aircraft to HKG form LHR for an 11 hr flight. Yet, it only takes 2 pilots to fly the same companys aircraft, be it a freighter 744, on a 2 sector LHR-CDG-DEL 13 Hr duty! Oh and for 20% less pay.

Harbour Dweller
22nd Dec 2007, 12:03
It surprises me that it takes 4 pilots to aviate a 744 passenger aircraft to HKG form LHR for an 11 hr flight. Yet, it only takes 2 pilots to fly the same companys aircraft, be it a freighter 744, on a 2 sector LHR-CDG-DEL 13 Hr duty! Oh and for 20% less pay.

You get what you sign for when you take the job.

I personally believe we should all be on the same conditions & salary.

I don't however feel sorry for a bloke who accepted current Freighter conditions & then complains afterwards.

rsb
23rd Dec 2007, 10:15
That was an observation I made Harbour Dweller. You are correct in that I knew exactly what I was getting in to when signing on the line. I certainly wouldn't want anyone feeling sorry for me as I love the job, especially as I get to fly with a great bunch of people who enjoy the job and get on with it without so much as a grumble. Maybe you should try it, we promise we wont bite.