PDA

View Full Version : Flight Deck Visit - FCL?

HeliCraig
20th Dec 2007, 11:55
After the "spot of bother" which Mr. Mason got himself into with MYT for allowing Mr. Savage to visit the flight deck I was wandering would it have made any difference if Mr. Savage had a PPL, or a licence of some description?

Do the rules stipulate that nobody without a Flight Crew Licence is allowed in, or does it say it must be a CPL / ATPL; or must they be an employee of the airline? Or is it the case that each airline makes their own rules?

Just inquisitive, that's all. No axe to grind, no malice intended, be nice!

AltFlaps
20th Dec 2007, 12:30
Most airlines seem to have phrases in the manual like "for OPERATIONAL reasons only". This means that even another company pilot travelling for leisure cannot visit the flighdeck ...

Superpilot
20th Dec 2007, 14:07
You do realise that the restriction is only for when the plane is in-flight? I sense from your post that you aren't aware of this. I could be wrong?

deltaxray
20th Dec 2007, 15:38
I know a fellow pilot who had just recieved his ppl in orlando. On the flight back to london he was recognised by his flight case and ended up in the cockpit for the whole transatlantic flight. Seems a bit dangerous to me but i suppose the captain has the final say. Wont say which airline though;););)

nanocas
20th Dec 2007, 15:46
Hi! Actually my son (11 years old) was travelling long haul recently as an unnacompanied minor with a major european airliner and he was allowed to travel the entire flight in the flight deck, even had his meals there! :D He absolutely loved it!!!!!! and no, I will not be saying which airline either! :=

airseb
20th Dec 2007, 15:56
as someone said it has to be for operational use only.

but the thing is that this rule applies only to uk airspace (and maybe uk airlines). as for other airlines/countries it's usually captain's appreciation.
it might be true for the us in the same way but i'm not sure.

operational reason means extra crew, instructor, deadheading, etc...

pdiogo
20th Dec 2007, 17:09
Hi,

I will be flying on a British Airways flight on Christmas eve, and as a "flight simmer" (yes - those maniacs that spend hours in front of a computer screen pretending to be pilots:O) I would looove to have a flight deck visit.

Does anyone know if I can get access to that flight deck?!

The flight is BAW504 from LL to Lisbon.... I anticipate it's an A319 -according to BA's resevation system.

Many thanks.

JetSetJ
20th Dec 2007, 18:09
On British Airways?!?!

They are usually very accommodating at the gate before or after a flight, but as soon as those engines are ready to be started NOT a chance mate - i'd be more concerned about your bags arriving with you at the other end:E

JJ:ok:

pdiogo
20th Dec 2007, 18:14
Hi,

Thanks for the answer. Yes, I am very concerned about the bags as well... Spending X-mas abroad with no clothes (nor presents!!) isn't what I am expecting!

Thanks.

PS - Does anyone know if I can take an Airband scanner as hand baggage?? Or does it have to be hold luggage?

Thanks.

MrHorgy
20th Dec 2007, 20:08
Can go in your hand luggage no problem, just not allowed to be used during the flight.

Horgy

BYALPHAINDIA
20th Dec 2007, 22:20
Regarding Pablo's case, I can never understand why didn't he say to that Footballer or whatever he is, you can come onto the flightdeck once we have landed, Then maybe there would have been no problem and no walking the plank for pablo mason??:ugh:

It is never a problem for us once we have landed, What hijacking can be done on the ground???:hmm:

pdiogo
20th Dec 2007, 22:44
Thanks. I just asked because I am afraid I end up either getting arrested or having it taken away so that BAA officers can play with it...

Many thanks.