PDA

View Full Version : What licences do you need to fly a jet privately?

PPL152
20th Dec 2007, 11:27
Is a PPL ME and night ratings, and a type rating really enough?

BackPacker
20th Dec 2007, 11:37
Theoretically, you don't even need the night rating.

Realistically, the type rating course will probably assume an ATPL and will be taught to ATPL standards. Hopping in with just a shiny new PPL will be difficult to say the least.

S-Works
20th Dec 2007, 11:37
To make any practical use you will need an IR. A jet is horribly expensive at VFR/IMCR levels.

You don't need an ME just a type rating and probably a high performance aircraft rating.

mm_flynn
20th Dec 2007, 12:23
And I believe to achieve the type rating you need to fly IFR procedures, hence de facto require an IR.

PS, just looked at a couple of FAA training centres and they seem to require commercial, ME, IR and valid medical as a base level

kwachon
20th Dec 2007, 12:33
As an examiner in the US, I gave a PPL holder a type rating on a Cessna Citation 7, he held a PPL, Multi, IR. His total time was only 560 hours but he did do a good job on his check ride. Now here is the rub, Neither his or any other insurance company would insure him or his airplane unless he had a type rated ATPL in the other seat.

BackPacker
20th Dec 2007, 12:35
You don't need an ME just a type rating and probably a high performance aircraft rating.

Isn't it so that the high performance thing is an endorsement, to be applicable within the SEP and MEP class only? Just like taildragger, complex and high altitude/pressurization?

So in that case a type rating would implicitly contain everything you need to fly the type. MEJ, pressurization, high performance, complex, whatnot.

S-Works
20th Dec 2007, 12:40
I am not sure on the class limitations of the HPA but is a set of exams taken at the CAA plus the practical training rather than being differences training as you describe.

dublinpilot
20th Dec 2007, 12:52
At what point is a high performance rating required under JAA? I've only ever heard of it under FAA.

dp

Julian
20th Dec 2007, 12:53
If its not a Multi engine jet then you dont even need the ME.

I think a lot of the ex-mil jet groups you can buy into with are restricted to day VFR as well so that just leaves PPL and of course relevant training and sign off.

Genghis the Engineer
20th Dec 2007, 15:32
ALL of the ex-military jet groups in the UK are restricted to day-VFR, it is a basic restriction of the permit to fly.

There was serious talk about half a dozen years ago of allowing an IMC to be used on them so long as specific certified instruments were fitted to the aircraft and the IMC test had been (re) taken on the type. Sadly it didn't get to the rulebook for a variety of reasons, since IMHO it would have given major safety benefits, not just for privately operated jets, but for the rest of us who share airspace with them.

G

rogcal
20th Dec 2007, 15:55
So I suppose a secondhand SR71 on my NPPL is out of the question then!;)

Genghis the Engineer
20th Dec 2007, 16:31
I think it's above the weight limit.

G

rogcal
20th Dec 2007, 16:38
[QUOTE][I think it's above the weight limit./QUOTE]

Wot, even if I replace the originals with a pair of Jetex engines?;)

Whopity
20th Dec 2007, 16:41
Don't confuse licences and ratings! To fly privately for no remuneration you only need a PPL. If you are to be remunerated then you must have a commercial licence.

The Type rating is what qualifies you to fly a specific type and at the single pilot level may require a HP endorsement or at the multipilot level may actually require ATPL level knowledge and a MCC qualiffication. An IR may also be required, which in turn requires a night qualification and half the ATPL exams.

IO540
20th Dec 2007, 19:35
Loads of confusion here between the gold plated JAA requirements, and the rest of the aviation world.

NigelOnDraft
20th Dec 2007, 21:19
CAP 632 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP632.PDF) see Chapter 6 ;)
NoD

eharding
20th Dec 2007, 21:33
CAP 632 see Chapter 6
NoD

I'm still looking for the Chapter detailing the convention that "Ex-military types operating under a CAA Permit-To-Fly are liable to interception and humiliation by PFA Permit-To-Fly aircraft operated by ex-military types"

:ok:

NigelOnDraft
21st Dec 2007, 06:31
You must be mishtaking me for someone else :oh:
:D

Megaton
21st Dec 2007, 19:50
Andy, er I mean, Nigel. You really do have too much time on your hands :)

S-Works
21st Dec 2007, 20:45
At what point is a high performance rating required under JAA? I've only ever heard of it under FAA.

dp

Seek the question in LASORS and an answer ye shall find.......

dublinpilot
22nd Dec 2007, 19:30
Thanks Ozy ;)

Doesn't look like I'll need to worry about them for awhile ;)