PDA

View Full Version : Anyone at Basrah ORMM on this forum?

John Hill
19th Dec 2007, 19:57
Hi, have we got anyone presently working at ORMM who wouldnt mind giving me some information? Thanks

RNGrommits
21st Dec 2007, 12:22
I was there until end Oct and will probably have any fairly current answers you require.

John Hill
23rd Dec 2007, 05:15
Thanks, I am wondering about the security considerations of going as a civilian to do technical installation work at the air traffic services department?

RNGrommits
23rd Dec 2007, 12:49
John
While I was here we had several contractors out from Avionics and Cape.
They all had body armour and helmets issued and had stayed in the skylink compound within the COB, which I am assuming you will have arranged.
The situation is better than it was over the summer, but you can still expect at least a couple of rockets inside the wire a week, so if possible get on one of the numerous security courses that are run for civilians, especially if you are planning to go outside the wire.
As to what security clearance you require or how you get it I have no idea, but I assume the prime contractors have to arrange all that for you through either the state dept or the mod.
Sorry for being a bit vague, but I was out there with the military!

John Hill
24th Dec 2007, 05:13
RNG, thanks for the info. This is pretty much what others have told me. Yes, I would expect all formalities to be handled by the prime contractor.

Going outside the wire would not be on my tour-plan!:E

We did a similar project at Baghdad just after the initial fighting and that involved sleeping on the floor where we were working and never venturing outside the concrete building which suited me just fine when mortars landed on the apron.:bored:

Thanks for the information it will come in very useful if we get to the stage of discussing details.

Green Flash
27th Dec 2007, 12:47
but you can still expect at least a couple of rockets inside the wire a week,

Well at least it's quitened down then. We were getting 2 per hour earlier in the year!

RNGrommits
4th Jan 2008, 13:41
I know! I was lying on the deck within minutes of arriving there in june. Still, it made those long nights go quicker, didn't t!