PDA

View Full Version : Rudder /Brake Pedal Use by CM2 as PF/PNF?

AIEXPATS
18th Dec 2007, 16:25
What is your Airlines/Companies Policy?
I would be very, very interested on your input.
My opinion is that whether a First Officer is Pilot Flying (PF) or Pilot-Non-Flight(PNF) in a two-"Person" cockpit, he/she should always be in a position to take control of the aircraft (specifically in this case the rudder pedals and with min. delay apply braking inputs) IF required and control the direction of the aircraft using rudder inputs and braking commands (iso. Auto Braking which may not even be activated, MEL'd or simply fails). Not to mention obviously for possible Incapacitation reasons!
For example, I have noticed some resting their feet on take-off/landing rolls as PF on the floorplate (using thier toes to move the lower part of the pedals, this no ankle movement allowing for upper pedal braking inputs). I am suggesting to them that in the interest of safety, one should NOT rest their feet on the floorplate, but actually have them raised so that your toes (upper shoe sole) can with out further delay (iso. raising your feet off the floor, maybe getting your heels caught on the lower part of the rudder pedal, loosing valuable time, etc.) quickly apply rudder and braking inputs as required. I also feel as PNF the F/O/CM2 should also be shaddowing (not influencing nor making inputs) the PF's (CM1's) rudder movements again for the remote chance of having to reject the take off or complete the landing role (pending your policy) without relying on the reversers or Auto Brakes?.
What do you all think?
Please note this senerio should be for typical line flights!
I also point out, specifically situations involving FIELD LIMITED and LVP take-offs and the infamous CM2 require rejected take off.

BEagle
18th Dec 2007, 16:43
I'd certainly agree that the PF should have his/her feet on the rudders during take-off and landing. It's basic commonsense.

Not so sure about the PNF (unless PNF is an instructor) 'shadowing' - it could be more trouble than its worth. PF applies pedal, PNF doesn't respond quickly enough, so PF (thinking it's a restriction) presses harder - precisely at the moment when the PNF moves his/her feet causing an excessive input.

llanfairpg
18th Dec 2007, 19:05
Our company policy requires the PNF to follow though lightly on the pedals and lightly hold the stick. Sounds like common sense to me. ( the Airbus limits the Captains who felt they have to ride inputs on the old control column)

ZeBedie
18th Dec 2007, 19:38
A good PNF, like a good instructor, should be able to feel where the pedals are, but without in any way restricting their movement.

Whether light aircraft or big jet, both pilots should have heels on the floor, IMHO.

llanfairpg
20th Dec 2007, 08:54
MOD

this should be on the airline forum