PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Descent Rate At Various Segments Of Flight

AWS
18th Dec 2007, 04:08
Does anyone has a link/documentation on the minimum descent rate required (ICAO standards?) during the various segments of flight, e.g. from TOD, below 10,000', below 5000', from IAF? Thanks.:)

OzExpat
21st Dec 2007, 05:52
The minimum descent rate required during the various segments of flight is the one that gives you a nice, stable descent and prevents you from busting any limiting altitude/s in the procedure. "ICAO standards" don't talk about that because they figure that most pilots can read a chart and work out the minimum descent required in each segment. Pans Ops - a "document", rather than a "standard" - works on a maximum descent rate to, firstly, ensure that obstacle clearance criteria won't be breached and, secondly, for aircraft configuration purposes and avoiding excessive rate of descent.

SuperRanger
21st Dec 2007, 06:28
i'm more interested with minimum descend rate when under radar control. what's the ROD the radar controller expect from us? any link would be nice ;)

SR

bflyer
21st Dec 2007, 06:53
hi to all and season's greetings

IMHE most radar controllers in the region i fly in..europe,north africa and the middle east will either instruct you to expedite r/d out of a certain level/altitude or instruct you to maintain a specific r/d for flow control especially in busy european airports,e.g frankfurt,amsterdam,heathrow

now changing cruise level enroute, a minimum of 500fpm is generally expected..i stand to be corrected by the experts

Dusthog
21st Dec 2007, 11:22
Good question !
I red about it a long time ago, cant remember where.
From what I remember it was described in feet per nautical mile
and 900 ft/min should be ok for a jet. That is also what V NAV
gives you when you start descent before optimum profile.
You might be given a better answer at this forums ATC issues.
Good luck !

RYR-738-JOCKEY
21st Dec 2007, 17:24
From what I've heard, an ROD of 650 minimum is expected of you in LON TMA. Minimum 350 (during last ten seconds) during vectoring for final to ensure a CDA. Usually, general airmanship will resolve any issue with ATC before it arises.

Punctilious
22nd Dec 2007, 10:38
Whilst this does not fully answer the question the following is contained in the UK AIP:

UK AIP ENR Section:

"2.3 Minimum Rates of Climb and Descent

2.3.1 In order to ensure that controllers can accurately predict flight profiles to maintain standard vertical separation between aircraft, pilots of aircraft commencing a climb or descent in accordance with an ATC Clearance should inform the controller if they anticipate that their rate of climb or descent during the level change will be less than 500ft per minute, or at any time during such a climb or descent their vertical speed is, in fact, less than 500ft per minute.

2.3.2 This requirement applies to both the en-route phase of flight and to terminal holding above Transition Altitude.

Note: This is not a prohibition on the use of rates of climb or descent of less than 500 ft per minute where necessary to comply with other operating requirements."

:ok:

StratMatt777
27th Dec 2007, 01:11
I Don't know ICAO, but in the US ATC expects optimal normal climb and descent performance in accordance with normal operating procedures for that aircraft. For the last 1,000' approaching your target altitude your desecnt rate is to be slowed to 1,000 fpm (+/- 500fpm).

If you are unable to climb at 500 fpm you are required to advise ATC. This of course applies to reciprocating engine (especially non-turbocharged) aircraft that lose engine power with altitude- not turbine aircraft.

Are you asking for the purposes of flying flight simulator?
Would you like to know how to calculate desent rates for various airspeeds and desent profiles as a pilot or are you only curious about regulatory requirements?