PDA

View Full Version : Aeroclubs in the UK

pfFredd
17th Dec 2007, 20:01
Hello to everyone :)

Because I'm new in here and this is my first post I would like to begin with introducing myself. I'm Fredrik from Norway and I'm currently working on the PPL-A. Okay.. that's done so over to the real question ;)

I hope to get my licence some time before or during the summer of 2008. At fall next year I'll probably be move and start studying in the UK and therefore I've started looking around for aeroclubs in the UK. I don't really know where i'll move to yet, but I it will be eiter the Lancaster/Manchester area, Bath or Essex. I looked up an airfield near manchester, but all I could find here was flyingschools. As I probably will be finished with obtaining my licence I'm only looking to rent a plane when I would like to fly. How is this done in the UK? And aswell I wonder if anyone could suggest any nice flying clubs in the areas I mentioned above.

I hope there are some british pilots in this forum who might help me out :)

SkyHawk-N
18th Dec 2007, 17:52
Hello pfFredd, the areas you've listed cover quite a bit of the UK.

In Essex there is North Weald and Andrewsfield. Southend is a larger airport but has a nice aero club or two. Nearer to London is Stapleford, another good place to learn from.

I don't think there is much near Bath but I'm sure someone will come along and correct me.

Barton is near Manchester, I don't know what the situation is like there.

Gertrude the Wombat
18th Dec 2007, 18:15
No runways anywhere near Bath I'm afraid. (Well, there's a private strip but the owner doesn't answer emails.)

llanfairpg
18th Dec 2007, 18:26
Hello Fred

Try this

Its a little more to the east

http://www.sherburnaeroclub.com/

BroomstickPilot
19th Dec 2007, 08:20
Hi pfFredd,

I have never been to Norway (although friends tell me it is a beautiful country), so I have no point of comparison between Norway and the UK.

However, in general road travel in the UK is both expensive, often conjested and certainly time consuming. So you don't want to have to look out at our very variable and unreliable weather each morning and have to decide whether to risk taking a long, expensive car journey just to get to the aerodrome, where the weather might be unflyable by the time you get there.

So wherever you decide to fly, it needs to be no more than perhaps 50 miles from where you live - absolute maximum; preferably much less. So one or two of the aerodromes suggested to you on your thread by other Ppruners are impractical.

The two areas in the UK that you have chosen as your likely places of residence are not particularly good areas for private flying. The least unsatisfactory area of those you have chosen is probably the Manchester area.

There are certainly flying clubs/schools at Liverpool John Lennon airport. However, I believe the very long established Lancashire Aero Club, formerly at Manchester-Barton, may by now have relocated, but I'm not sure where to. Certainly, their website doesn't seem to tell us.

I'm not sure why Llanfairpg's link to Sherburn-in-Elmet takes you to Lancashire Aero Club: Sherburn is East of Leeds, which is a very long way from Barton, and I hardly think LAC would have moved that far away. Perhaps Llanfair can give us some information.

I hope my few comments will help you find somewhere convenient.

Broomstick.

llanfairpg
19th Dec 2007, 11:43
Sorry not sure either

try again

http://www.sherburnaeroclub.com/

SkyHawk-N
19th Dec 2007, 12:16
So one or two of the aerodromes suggested to you on your thread by other Ppruners are impractical.

Broomstick, if you read the initial post properly you will notice that Fred mentions THREE locations (not two), including Essex. This is why I mentioned airfields in Essex. :ugh:

Squadgy
19th Dec 2007, 12:25
Hello - take a look at www.cityairportmanchester.com. There are several schools there who will be able to rent you an aircraft - they rent to PPLs as well as training. :ok:

BroomstickPilot
19th Dec 2007, 16:58
Skyhawk-N

Sorry, Hawky, my mistake; I didn't notice pfFredd's mention of Essex.

Broomstick.

SkyHawk-N
19th Dec 2007, 17:23
Skyhawk-N

Sorry, Hawky, my mistake; I didn't notice pfFredd's mention of Essex.

Broomstick.

That's ok........Sticky :ooh: