PDA

View Full Version : Super Cub POH?

Contacttower
17th Dec 2007, 15:14
I was looking through a very old POH for the club's PA18-135 today (I do from time to time) and I've always thought how sparse it is on information in general, I mean it just lists weights, speeds, a few diagrams and take off graphs and little else. Does anyone know if Piper issued a much more comprehensive POH later on in the production run and if so where I might find one?

SNS3Guppy
17th Dec 2007, 15:51
When the type certificate was issued for the Super Cub, there wasn't a requirement for a POH or AFM. Most aircraft of that era have an owners manual. A lot of later production manuals and paperwork is available, but the cub is very much a hands on airplane, as opposed to a paper airplane. You get to know it, rather than calculating it. This is especially the case with the nearly endless mods that are done to them.

Contacttower
17th Dec 2007, 15:53
You get to know it, rather than calculating it.

I know...but all the same I'm still interested if only for 'completeness' sake.

Contacttower
17th Dec 2007, 18:18
Answered my own question...found this US website which is just what I was looking for...http://www.esscoaircraft.com/. :ok:

QDMQDMQDM
17th Dec 2007, 20:42
www.supercub.org is the relevant information resource for Super Cub queries.

There is a quasi-POH of which I have a copy which is more complete than the official POH, but it's not really that useful. You learn much more from experienced SC pilots than the books.

Jetscream 32
17th Dec 2007, 22:42
contact,

lets face it, when they built cubs, stearmans, tiger moths etc - you flew by the seat of your pants, and with good ears to listen to what she was telling you..... I would not allow anyone to fly my cub unless they knew how to listen to the airframe both with the noisy bit and with the feel - and if they did not know how to locate a horizon irrespective of vis or bank angle- then you aint gonna get it.... the most beautiful thing to fly with the radio turned off..or if fitted at all...the clam doors wide open and 20ft above the sea in the last hour of the day - magical.... roll on the summer:)

Sleeve Wing
18th Dec 2007, 16:23
Jetscream 32

>I would not allow anyone to fly my cub unless they knew how to listen to the airframe both with the noisy bit and with the feel etc <

Totally agree, old mate. I've a lot of hours instructing on them. The only way to know if the guy up front is getting it right is to listen to the engine and airframe noise and glance at the wing tip (for attitude reference). Works a treat - you can see b*g*er-all from the back !
:ok:

Contacttower
18th Dec 2007, 18:36
Well I've ordered a Super Cub owner's manual from the website I mentioned earlier. www.supercub.org (http://www.supercub.org) is a great site and the forum is packed full of advice and experience. As people have said...it really isn't the sort of plane you need a book to fly...but I wanted a manual simply because I like having Super Cub 'stuff'...very sad I know.:O

QDMQDMQDM
18th Dec 2007, 20:55
but I wanted a manual simply because I like having Super Cub 'stuff'...very sad I know.

No, you're just like the rest of us, so you might as well also buy 'Wager with the Wind' about Don Sheldon, the legendary Alaskan SC pilot. And you should also support supercub.org and get the free calendars!

Being an SC pilot / owner is more religion than pastime. You'll have to learn to live with it and build your life around it, I'm afraid.