PDA

View Full Version : Uniforms - technical crew

ft
16th Dec 2007, 10:03
I'm fortunate to be working in an environment where no uniform is required. However, airport security is no longer part of that environment and trying to get through security without a uniform is becoming more of a hassle than it is worth in some places. I'm hoping for overalls, as white shirts will probably only be white for a very brief period of time considering the work done...

Anyway, to my question. Those of you who are flying with technical crew members, what do they wear as far as insigna (epaulettes) go? The F/E route of one stripe is not really suitable for our operation as the technical crew may well be senior to the flying crew, as well as effectively running the operation. One stripe would send the wrong signal to contacts on the ground. Yet, I think it'd be desirable to have the technical crew set apart from the flying crew.

In the military, at least in my neck of the woods, insignia on backgrounds of different colour is used for certain personnel. Is any similar de facto standard applied in the civil aviation world?

Rgds,
/Fred

411A
16th Dec 2007, 11:50
Our ground engineers wear three stripes with a purple background...never a problem.

And, as for technical (non-flying) crew 'running the operation',...sorry, not on, only the CAPTAIN runs the show.
Period.

forget
16th Dec 2007, 12:12
You are funny 411A ( at times.) Would you be captain by any chance? :hmm:

ft
16th Dec 2007, 13:44
Our ground engineers wear three stripes with a purple background...never a problem.

Sounds like the mil way of doing things have indeed carried over. I thought I had heard of that practise but wasn't sure. That'd do the trick. Thank you very much indeed, sir!

Anyone else able to fill in, perhaps with similar or different practises regarding flying technical crew?

And while I hate to go off-topic, especially in my own thread:
And, as for technical (non-flying) crew 'running the operation',...sorry, not on, only the CAPTAIN runs the show.
Period.

Know what, 411A? I thought of you while posting, thinking the sentence you are referring to would be proper 411A bait. You're getting a bit predictable - stress of the season getting to you? ;) And no go. The captain commands the aircraft - no doubt about it. The where to go, how to go there and what to do once there is decided by the requirements of the operation. These requirements are very rarely determined by the captain. Harsh reality of things, whether we like it or not. Sorry!

If it was any other way, I expect there'd be lots of flying in the Bahamas, Dunnunda and the Med this time of year... and very little up north. Hmm... coming to think of it... I like your way better! :cool:

ft
16th Dec 2007, 15:13
And once this thread gave me the confidence to google properly, I soon was pointed back to the one and only font of True Wisdom and Knowledge of All Things Aeronautical: PPRuNe.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-283529.html

Also this interesting Wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_engineering

411A
16th Dec 2007, 17:11
...stress of the season getting to you?

Actually...no
Sitting in the HOTAC awaiting the techie types to actually fix the aeroplane is quite restful...:E

IRRenewal
16th Dec 2007, 19:52
Sitting in the HOTAC awaiting the techie types to actually fix the aeroplane is quite restful

Did the old heap finally give in?:}

411A
17th Dec 2007, 08:24
Did the old heap finally give in?

Actually, no.
It recently came out of heavy maintenace and I think a few bits and pieces were left disconnected...:rolleyes: